Boarding Kennel Trial

Cougar

Sorry if I missed it but what's a 'social kennel' compared to a 'normal kennel'?

normal kennel = dogs in kennel runs full stay except for individual exercise if requested(often for extra charge)

Social Kennel = dogs have own individual kennel runs but participate in doggy daycare all day. some kennel offer this as an option for an extra charge, but "standard" is without the daycare. in a social kennel daycare with boarding IS standard.

cage free = no kennels or runs, dogs are just all mixed together full time.

The point is that if the dog shows extreme anxiety to the point of harm, the dog can be collected by the owner easily and quickly if they are doing a trial stay. That can't happen if the owner has gone on their holiday.

Its unlikely that there is going to be a problem like this, but the trial means that when the owner goes on their holiday that they know how the dog is coping because it has coped in that environment before.

I have seen this a few times, only after the dog has been at the kennel for several days..considering most trials are only 1 day or night, I still don't see the point lol, we had a dog this happened with, the dog ripped the guillotine door out of the wall, and ripped the fencing on the outside run and got his head stuck..this was a full week into the dogs stay, AND he had stayed before(for several weeks) without problem, because we could not get anyone to collect the dog, we pretty much had to rig up a padded room for the dog. in another case it wasn't our kennel, but a dog staying at a vet kennel, the vet clinic transferred the dog to us because he was hurting himself..but again it didn't start till a few days into his stay(it wasn't anxiety, the dog just desperately needed more exercise then a regular kennel could provide, the dog was great with us). if the dog has severe anxiety issue, I totally see the point, to see if the dog can even handle it, but not for a normal dog unless the trial is more then 1 night.

Edited by cali

I have found that most kennels do not understand separation anxiety at all. The few I have used the staff just looked at me blankly when I informed them that my dog had separation anxiety. Most just say "oh he'll be right" or something similar - I can see them thinking "oh another neurotic woman with a SWF". They always tell me he is just fine but would they really tell me if it was otherwise? Business is pretty slow these days in a lot of kennels.

normal kennel = dogs have individual run or are in a run with their own family members at owners request, are exercised by themselves or with their own family group - for no extra charge - and have heaps of human interaction and play - for no extra charge -, eg ball throwing, frisbee throwing etc. They are exercised in a dog yard that has chainmesh so therefore can see and interact with dogs through the fence.

I'm thinking of doing a trial myself as my family is not the type who would be at ease letting strangers into the house. I heard good reviews on Renbury boarding. It would have to be individual kennel / run, as he's a hit or miss when meeting other dogs. Now that I read this thread, I worry because it drives him crazy at home when he hears dogs barking. I can imagine it's even worse at the kennels.

The point is that if the dog shows extreme anxiety to the point of harm, the dog can be collected by the owner easily and quickly if they are doing a trial stay. That can't happen if the owner has gone on their holiday.

Its unlikely that there is going to be a problem like this, but the trial means that when the owner goes on their holiday that they know how the dog is coping because it has coped in that environment before.

I have seen this a few times, only after the dog has been at the kennel for several days..considering most trials are only 1 day or night, I still don't see the point lol, we had a dog this happened with, the dog ripped the guillotine door out of the wall, and ripped the fencing on the outside run and got his head stuck..this was a full week into the dogs stay, AND he had stayed before(for several weeks) without problem, because we could not get anyone to collect the dog, we pretty much had to rig up a padded room for the dog. in another case it wasn't our kennel, but a dog staying at a vet kennel, the vet clinic transferred the dog to us because he was hurting himself..but again it didn't start till a few days into his stay(it wasn't anxiety, the dog just desperately needed more exercise then a regular kennel could provide, the dog was great with us). if the dog has severe anxiety issue, I totally see the point, to see if the dog can even handle it, but not for a normal dog unless the trial is more then 1 night.

An owner will be able to gauge their dog's condition and mental state after staying one night. A dog won't suddenly flip a switch and start the anxiety after 24 hours, unless something had changed drastically. You would expect to see increasingly agitated behaviour from the dog over time before it escalates to harmful levels.

It is concerning that a person working in a kennel would consider client requests like this 'silly'. People leave dogs in kennels because they want the assurance that their dog is safe and sound while they are away. Your verbal assurance isn't the same as an owner knowing that their dog has stayed in kennels and was in a good state when they picked it up.

It's also worrying that a person working in a kennel doesn't seem to think a dog kennelled alone would have anything to get used to in its environment, and a dog only would need to adjust if in a new social situation. All new environments, whether other dogs are there or not is going to have an effect on a dog and require some getting used to.

An owner can use a trial stay to gauge the environment for themselves, to see how noisy and smelly it is, and to see how much space their dog gets. And they will get a better idea of staff attitude if they speak to them face-to face.

An owner will be able to gauge their dog's condition and mental state after staying one night. A dog won't suddenly flip a switch and start the anxiety after 24 hours, unless something had changed drastically. You would expect to see increasingly agitated behaviour from the dog over time before it escalates to harmful levels.

not that I have seen. I find most owners incredibly clueless as to their dogs mental state lol, maybe people are more clued in, in Aus? lol. as for not suddenly flipping, not true at all, I have been working in a kennel for 4 years, anxiety is not common beyond the first day or 2(in our kennel, I know nothing about how dog act in normal kennels, which around here are NOTHING like you described), but the serious anxiety issues we have dealth with have ALWAYS come later, and only when the dog is staying for a long time, like the dog is having fun, but wants to go home now, its been long enough, I have only seen it twice and they were both extended stays.

It is concerning that a person working in a kennel would consider client requests like this 'silly'. People leave dogs in kennels because they want the assurance that their dog is safe and sound while they are away. Your verbal assurance isn't the same as an owner knowing that their dog has stayed in kennels and was in a good state when they picked it up.

I don't think its silly if the dog has anxiety issues or the trial is at least 2 days, if the dog isn't given a CHANCE to settle, in then what's the point? the thing is around here all the trials that people have done have literally been 1 night, like drop off right before we close and pick up as soon as we open the next morning, this will tell them nothing because the dog never had a chance to settle in. I often reccomend however for people who are nervous that they bring their dog for several daycare days before boarding, even several daytime stays are more helpful to gage the dogs mental state then throwing the dog in a place he's never seen before surrounded by strangers to sleep, then all of a sudden picked up and sent home by totally new strangers the following morning, I would be surprised if the dog WASN'T stressed out after that!

It's also worrying that a person working in a kennel doesn't seem to think a dog kennelled alone would have anything to get used to in its environment, and a dog only would need to adjust if in a new social situation. All new environments, whether other dogs are there or not is going to have an effect on a dog and require some getting used to.

well sure, everything takes getting used too, but a 1 night or 1 day trial doesn't tell you much, they often take more then 8 hours to get accustomed to the environment.

An owner can use a trial stay to gauge the environment for themselves, to see how noisy and smelly it is, and to see how much space their dog gets. And they will get a better idea of staff attitude if they speak to them face-to face.

that's what a tour is for..... just today I spent 30 minutes talking on the phone with a lady, walking through all her concerns with her, then invited for a tour any time, I love giving people tours and explaining everything in detail.

not that I have seen. I find most owners incredibly clueless as to their dogs mental state lol, maybe people are more clued in, in Aus? lol. as for not suddenly flipping, not true at all, I have been working in a kennel for 4 years, anxiety is not common beyond the first day or 2(in our kennel, I know nothing about how dog act in normal kennels, which around here are NOTHING like you described), but the serious anxiety issues we have dealth with have ALWAYS come later, and only when the dog is staying for a long time, like the dog is having fun, but wants to go home now, its been long enough, I have only seen it twice and they were both extended stays.

I didn't realise I had described a kennel. If dogs become suddenly anxious after some time of being calm at your kennel, it would suggest that there is something in the kennel environment that has contributed to this or that you may have missed the more subtle behaviour cues.

I don't think the OP would be clueless about her dog's mental state.

I'm not following what you are telling us. No boarding kennel here offers 8 hour overnight stays. The OP isn't interested in day care. Face-to face means that you can see what a kennel is like and see the facial expression of the staff member who thinks customers are silly or clueless. You can talk on a phone but the only way of walking through a kennel is to be there.

It can be reassuring to know that a dog has coped with an overnight trial before going away on holiday, that when it was picked up it was acting normally, whether this feeling of reassurance is realistic or just a perception. Holidays are meant to be relaxing, not worrying that the dog is unhappy.

lol sorry that was my bad I got my posters mixed up! I was refering to ososwifts description of a "normal" kennel! whoops.

I am in Canada, I think our kennels must be different and wires are getting crossed. all trials here are short, what on earth is a trial to you? as for time to settle, likely again a kennel difference, the kennel I work at is huge, like 200 dogs and 40 some staff plus 120 daycare dogs on average huge. it can be very overwhelming and generally requires a day or 2 for new dogs to get their bearings, but once they do they love it and often dont wanna leave. perhaps this is different in a smaller kennel.

I think you misunderstood the tour part. ..I said I talk to through everything on the phone then invite them for a tour for a detailed face to face in person physical tour. 4 years and never had a person leave unhappy yet after one of my tours, everyone gives me the tours for that reason lol

see now in that context a trial makes more sense lol

your descrip. of a "normal" kennel sounds nice, here a normal kennel means the dogs are alone in a small run the whole stay unless you pay an extra $5 or so for a "15 minute" walk thats usually closer to a 3 minute walk around the outbuildings and popped right back in the kennel. hence social kennels have become quite popular.

If you are still to board your dogs, I think I know who the in-home carer is (if she's got two black girls). I left my elderly grey with her for about two weeks and was very happy with how she was looked after. I would not hesitate to recommend, or leave my dog with her again.