Wandering Dog On Street

kiesha09

We have a dog that lives on our street that continually wonders (its fence is a foot high so easily jumps over the top).

Lately he is sitting at my front door in the mornings when I go to take my dogs for a walk. He then follows us for a bit before I tell him to get away. He also craps on peoples front lawns and in my front garden.

He also wonders all over the road. If he sees us out on a walk he'll run straight across the road. So if there is a car coming he'd be hit very easily. But generally he's on the footpath.

Yesterday morning I found him heading towards the main road so I took him back to his yard.

The problem is the neighbours are not exactly the most savoury looking characters. In fact they are pretty feral!! So I don't really want to talk to them about it and I'm scared that if I report them to the council if they find out who it is then they will retaliate against my dogs.

So what would you do in this situation? Would you report them?

Edited to add: I'm worried about the dogs safety first and foremost. No doubt if the council were spoken to they would literally chain him up 24/7 with no walks :(

Edited by kiesha09

Yes I would report the dog. What they would or would not do is speculation. Dealing with the here and now, there are laws to be followed, least of all for the dogs own safety.

Edited to add : yes agree too with those below on taking to the pound.

Edited by espinay2

I'd take the dog to the pound, they will notify the owners (assuming it's chipped) and they have 2 weeks to pay and collect or the dog gets rehomed. They will probably get a fine too. Expensive lesson for them, and that might encourage them to stop the dog getting out.

Yes I see where you are coming from Stari. But I'm torn... its not that I think they don't care for his wellbeing exactly. They do have kids who play with him and I've seen them give him pigs ears and trotters etc. I'm not even sure if they realise how much he is wondering - I see him very early in the morning (6am) when they are asleep most of the time, sometimes around 8am on my way to work.

I just want them to contain their dog not lose him all together.

Given he is old maybe he has wondered all his life and they think he's fine doing it. I obviously don't agree as I'd never let me dogs do that but some people have wierd ways of thinking about their dogs.

Maybe I'm just being too soft :o

Ummm - if you don't want to take the dog to the pound and don't want to report it, then what do YOU think you should do ......

I guess I need to put on my big girl pants and just report it to the council. Hopefully I can remain anonymous and the dog control officer will have a chat to them.

I just find it hard because I don't trust these neighbours not to do something in retaliation.

Better PTS than run over by a car. If his owners really don't care for his welfare then the RSPCA is probably the best place for him.

I certainly understand what you are saying, Stari, but I can't agree that the best place for him is the RSPCA. The best place would be a loving caring home.

Ummm - if you don't want to take the dog to the pound and don't want to report it, then what do YOU think you should do ......

Espinay2, that is a teensy bit hard. Poster has already said she knows the options, but each comes with a downside. Sadly that's the way of the world.

Keisha09, is there any possibily that the owners would let you take on the dog? He sounds very easy going and the poor thing isn't having much of a life at the moment.

I understand they are scary people, but if you think hard about how you could appreach them without making them sound responsible for the dog's wandering etc etc.

Can you just tell them that you are worried he is going to get squished?

That worked with my old neighbors. They had no fences and their dog kept coming across to my place. In the end I said that I was totally freaked out that she was going to get squished and that I really didn't need that stress. A fox had been squished a couple of days before and I thought it was their dog as I drove up.

Do you know that they know that the dog is out? Maybe they don't know if he is getting out early.

When somebody here is reported for that, the rangers go around and have a word to them about their responsibilities. There is a dog in our street that used to wander but now is kept confined all the time. A dog next door to my friend that was out all the time is now only let out to roam occasionally. All because the ranger reminded them of their responsibility.

And it's not like a noise complaint where clearly there is an annoyed neighbour who reported it. In this case the ranger will see the dog isn't confined or registered and talk to the owner about what they need to do. The conversation wont be about the neighbours, just about the dog.

Yes I see where you are coming from Stari. But I'm torn... its not that I think they don't care for his wellbeing exactly. They do have kids who play with him and I've seen them give him pigs ears and trotters etc. I'm not even sure if they realise how much he is wondering - I see him very early in the morning (6am) when they are asleep most of the time, sometimes around 8am on my way to work.

I just want them to contain their dog not lose him all together.

Given he is old maybe he has wondered all his life and they think he's fine doing it. I obviously don't agree as I'd never let me dogs do that but some people have wierd ways of thinking about their dogs.

Maybe I'm just being too soft :o

They won't lose him all together, they will have a timeframe to collect him from the RSPCA if they want him back.

If you really don't want to take him, at least call the rangers and tell them who he belongs to so they can go and speak with them. They don't need to know it was you who called the rangers.

Edited by stari

Well I just rang the council and the inspector is going to go and have a chat to the owner. I just explained that I was worried the dog would get squished. They aren't going to mention neighbours at all. I just hope they listen to the inspector and keep him contained before he's squished.

There's a dog in my street who spends most days sleeping under our truck (in our drive way). I like him, he's a nice dog. He just likes to watch, he's no menace, he likes a pat but he'll only approach people if you bend down and cajole him, he has no interest in approaching other dogs.

I know most people on DOL would be up in arms if they saw him:

"OMG loose dog, kill it with fire".

But he's really no problem, noone on our street has an issue with him, he's no danger or annoyance to anyone, it's a quiet street and he's car savvy so he's no danger to himself either.

If you are genuinely worried about that dog being run over, then good on you for doing something. But otherwise I wouldn't, I know I contravene the orthodox DOL view of loose dogs, but I like our resident loose dog. He's pretty old too, and he's been living this lifestyle all his life, it'd upset him to change it, he does no harm and it's nice to come out and see his tail thump in greeting in the morning sun.

Obviously he's not the norm, I could never let my dog loose like that, she'd cause havoc, but he's different, I like him there, always makes me smile to see him surveying his domain from the shady spot under my truck. I hope noone ever forces him away from his shady spot with a view of the whole street, he's happy there.

No flame suit, I'm sure DOL groupthink will have a field day, and lambast me roundly for that view, but meh. IDC.

Edited by Wobbly

No flame suit required Wobbly. In a way this dog is just like that, although not as dog friendly. If he stayed off the road then I wouldn't have an issue. But he doesn't so I do. I don't want to see him killed because of careless owners.

I know most people on DOL would be up in arms if they saw him:

"OMG loose dog, kill it with fire".

:eek::eek: What an extraordinary thing to say! How on earth do you "know" that is how most of the people on DOL would react? I must have missed that poll.

I rather feel that most people on DOL, seeing a dog on the loose, would immediately think: OMG loose dog, what can I do to get it to safety.

today i have called the ranger to report a loose dog,

While walking my boy on the way to the park, a cattle dog came from no where and came straight for my boy, i quick stepped back, towards road, a car tooted there horn (didnt stop!!, but tooted)

Enough to spook the cattle away from us, thank god!!

I called the ranger straight away, it is a very busy road and i wouldnt want the dog to get hurt or killed, plus for any motorist to have an accident , so that was my reaction, whether its not what everyone wouldve done , its what i have done today and will do again, because i would hope someone would do that for me, if somehow my boy was to get out. he never has but things do happen.

I hate to say this, but if he's an old dog, then somebody is doing something right in regard to his welfare. Some dogs are brought up society savy....they seem to know where the dangers are...perhaps leave best alone. Not what I would normally advocate - would usually go for intervention..but you've said yourself, he's cared for in a slightly indifferent way, so why change the status quo.

I hate to say this, but if he's an old dog, then somebody is doing something right in regard to his welfare. Some dogs are brought up society savy....they seem to know where the dangers are...perhaps leave best alone. Not what I would normally advocate - would usually go for intervention..but you've said yourself, he's cared for in a slightly indifferent way, so why change the status quo.

He wanders all over the road and shits on peoples front lawns, so he is both in danger and a nuisance.

The OP did the right thing by reporting his owners.