Rehoming Rescue Dogs - How To Enforce Desexing ?

brutus

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view is that if the dog or bitch does not have a responsible breeding future, and is to be rehomed or rescued, it should be desexed. Not just because of unwanted breeding, which is a significant burden on the community, but because it takes skill and patience to manage entire dogs and bitches.

Yes. Sums it up well.

I don;t know what you deem to be "rescue rates"

It usually costs me between $120 and $150 to desex a 15-20kg dog. The pups I can get done for $110. Bitches have varied but the most I've paid for a bigger bitch has been about $220

They are very good prices :) You obviously have a great vet.

I will ask my vet if there is any difference, just out of interest.

Last time I had a rescue desexed the males were around $95 and females around $120 though they are rescue rates. I pay full price for my own animals.

Justrace - my clinic has a kitten adoption program and used to give them a 'desexing voucher' for them to bring the kittens back at 6 months - included in the adoption price. More often than not they didn't come back, or came back pregnant or with a bunch of kittens. We now desex before they go to their new homes.

You could just as easily say that for population control we should desex all dogs and leave the bitches alone.

No, thats my point.

For the sake of simplicity, let’s assume an open population. If we could somehow sterilise 90% of all male dogs, it would not significantly impact the population. However if we sterilised 90% of bitches it would have a substantial impact.

... and if we desex them all... even simpler maths.

T.

No, population control is dependent on the the number of reproducing females. Steralising males is practically irrelevent.

T.

No, population control is dependent on the the number of reproducing females. Steralising males is practically irrelevent.

That's true, because males have nothing to do with impregnation.

Oh, wait....

T.

:rofl:

Castration anxiety.

Edited by Powerlegs

Are you male Big D?

Rescue desex ALL animals leaving them because so many people out there don't desex their dogs/cats... and we can then guarantee that no animal leaving rescue can be party to making ANY pups/kittens with ANY other dog/cat.

T.

T.

Far out! Could it be true??!!! Big D has just solved the problem of unwanted/uplanned litters throughout the entire world!!!!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I kinda understand Big D's stats and logic :eek:

But I'd still rather see ALL rescue dogs desexed, for behavioural reasons if not reproductive reasons. I believe the general pet dog owner doesn't need (or want) to handle entire dogs or bitches.

But I'd still rather see ALL rescue dogs desexed, for behavioural reasons if not reproductive reasons. I believe the general pet dog owner doesn't need (or want) to handle entire dogs or bitches.

I understand what they are trying to say, but they seem to be assuming the petshop bought female dog next door to the undesexed rehomed rescue male is desexed - whereas it might not be.

Why risk it? You can't control what the general public do with their dogs, but you can control what you can control.

Edited by minimax

I understand what they are trying to say, but they seem to be assuming the petshop bought female dog next door to the undesexed rehomed rescue male is desexed - whereas it might not be.

Why risk it? You can't control what the general public do with their dogs, but you can control what you can control.

Exactly! How is Stoopid big d going to enforce desex of every entire female in Aust or around the world?

T.

While this is true of wild populations, I doubt it would play out this way in a population that is largely confined and mating opportunities are not random.

It's not the fact that it's a different point of view. Maybe you missed the bit where he called pro rescue/pound desexing people misguided amateurs.

Pose a theory in a reasonable manner and you might get a sensible answer.