Rehoming Rescue Dogs - How To Enforce Desexing ?

brutus

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think having puppies sterilized instead of castrated as long as they are over 1 kg was found to be a good option? That way they still get the hormones they need to mature (mostly relevant for large-ish breeds I think?) but cannot be bred from. This can be done before puppies leave at 8 weeks or whatever so there is no need to try and enforce de-sexing later in life?

There are a few rescues here in Queensland who adopt animals out with a ‘desexing voucher’. I am not sure exactly what that entails but I can’t imagine it is enforceable.

I am aware of someone who adopted a staffy x puppy from rescue here on the basis that the dog would be desexed at the rescue’s cost at a later age. She attempted to contact the rescue on numerous occasions to follow through with this and had no response. Finally she arranged and paid for the procedure herself when the dog was 8 months old. A friend of hers who adopted a staffy at the same time from the same rescue has simply decided he wants to leave his dog entire.