Pulling Puppy :-)

RidgieAmy

Okay so now anyone know any good trainers for this?? I live in perth! Okay so the harness is a no go! i took him to the park earlier and walked the other way when he started pulling to other dog, did a few sits and drops and he was good turned to walk again and was distracting him with his roadkill toy and back to pulling so i did it again and he focused again by this time dog was already beside us and they had a sniff but he never got chance to pull cause the dog was already right next to us. So should i completely avoid dogs? which is a bit hard as hes going to a shoe this friday coming. The breeder says check chain is the way to go but i do not want him on a check chain i think he can learn without one as he's still young!

I look at socializing differently & that is not approaching & playing with every dog they see & this isn't because there show dogs but because when i go for walks or sitting at the vets or similar i don't want my dogs to think its there right to play.

My dogs are allowed to play on my terms & when appropriate .

I have big boisterous dogs,they play rough,there intimidating if allowed & when older there nearly 40 kg .

At 15 weeks your dog is small & manageable what you have now is very easy but consider the behaviour now at 4okg .

Playing doesn't mean it will be socialized any better .

My big dogs are taught the word gentle,they are taught to lay down for little dogs ,i still appreciate there big dogs & as such will play with the power of a big dog but i can minimize the risk onlead & educate for manners & if they get to excited i can simply walk away & they don't care game over

They play at shows & have fun when all parties are happy for play time but when they aren't playing they are sitting calmly in the pens .

Don't think the chain will create issues used correctly it will work well & it will be shown on a chain without any dramas but consider the obvious at present what your doing isn't working ,Flat collars don't work for every dog & being open minded as a dog owner is a must ,i would sooner use a tool that will work for said dog than have a dog that is no pleasure to walk & will get harder .

Avoiding dogs wont train your pup but allowing it to play because it pulls is just rewarding bad behaviour ,mine don't get to play under those circumstances &there is nothing worse than seeing the owner getting dragged by there dog wanting to play i avoid them like the plague because they display no control or manners.

He doesn't get offlead with every dog he gets offlead at the top of the big oval in the park if theres no dogs then i play with him, then he goes onlead if i see a dog coming. and i have started doing the move in other direction get his focus back, which i started last week. I do think hes improving he holds his focus longer and if he is offlead with dog i can get a sit wheras before that would not have happened whilst the dogs there its just the initial sight of dog that causes the pulling so i thought that harness may help but obviously not. The advice on here has helped alot and i have lots of things to work on! I understand that he'll be a big dog thats why im asking for advice now so i can correct it sooner rather than later. :-)

I also highly recommend Kathy, and also looking forward to the workshop in May. Its being held at my work, so its super convenient. I agree with others, its not appropriate to play with every dog you meet, like I mentioned in our pm. We can do some work when we meet up.