A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Loving all the latest puppy photos!

Tango won his first Best of Breed last Saturday at the Southern Region Country Classic, our first 6 points towards his title! This was our first weekend away by ourselves, and he was so well behaved all weekend. He'd even go to the door of the house we were staying in to be let outside to pee :)

9172042187_7e318a6273.jpg

Tango with his first Best of Breed and Dog Challenge, Dogs NSW Southern Region Country Classic 29/06/13 by misteri82, on Flickr

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goodness - Arnold is adorable ... look at that gorgeous wrinkly face!

All the other babies are adorable too!!

I haven't posted here in a little while - Banjo is now 17 weeks old and weighs just over 2kg - I think he must be one of the tiniest puppies in this thread!! He is no longer the shy quiet little creature that he once was. We have renamed him "Devil Dog" and last Sunday was "Satan Sunday" - after he was a little devil ALL day and took himself off to bed at 6.30pm and slept through to 4.30am! He had quite worn himself out! Must post another photo.

PLEASE...more photo's. :)

We have nicknamed Willow, Pirhana Puppy. The only time she has an 'Off" button is when we have exhausted her, then fed her...or we stick her in a crate. :laugh:

She's really not very good at recognising when she needs to sleep, unless we make her. She just gets wound up even more, like an over tired toddler. Even Dory has been looking very dishevelled and tired. (I'm surprised she has any fur left on her, Willow loves to grab her fluffy bits)

Tango won his first Best of Breed last Saturday at the Southern Region Country Classic, our first 6 points towards his title! This was our first weekend away by ourselves, and he was so well behaved all weekend. He'd even go to the door of the house we were staying in to be let outside to pee :)

Tango with his first Best of Breed and Dog Challenge, Dogs NSW Southern Region Country Classic 29/06/13 by misteri82, on Flickr

Congrats!!! Both to you and Tango. I hope we get to know that buzz oneday.

congratulations on you BoB!!

The beast got my finger with a tooth last night while taking a treat overenthusiastically. He literally caught it on my finger, wasn't even a bite.

I have a half cm cut now that is super sore today. Lots of betadine since then, but gee it smarts!

Anyone who doesn't think even a friendly dog could do damage if they wanted to is mad!

Gosh Willow is a cutie :)

Great success with Nova today, he is consistently going to the back door to be let out to toilet! I'm so impressed by him! I thought it would it would take a lot longer than 4 days, and he started doing it Tuesday night, but he has done it every time today!

He is also now sitting on command, such a clever cookie!

Edited by LisaCC

OMG all these puppy pictures are making my clucky. I was just looking back over Murphy's little puppy pictures, he was so little, they grow way too fast.

He seems to have settled down a bit, in the last few weeks. He is still way over the top when we go out, one day he might just focus on me :rofl:

Last night wasn't as easy as our first night.

Did the same routine as the night before, toilet then crate at 12.30am, he woke me up at 3 to find he had already poo'd in his crate. Its a bit looser than i'd like, took him out, cleaned it up, put him back to bed, he settled quickly, woke me at 5.30am to find he had already wee'd in the crate, took him out, cleaned it up, woke me at 7.30 to find he had poo'd in the crate again. Gah, took him out, brought him back in gave him brekkie - took him back out straight away he didn't go AT ALL (was outside for half an hour) even though he looked like he needed to poop, bought him back in and now he is asleep in the crate.

Tips?? Hoping today will go better!

Perhaps you will need to set an alarm at smaller intervals throughout the night and take him out BEFORE he wakes up to poop. Might get the ball rolling?

How big is his crate? Nova is in an adult sized crate but with lots and lots of bedding so its snuggly. He won't go in it.

Edited by LisaCC

Last night wasn't as easy as our first night.

Did the same routine as the night before, toilet then crate at 12.30am, he woke me up at 3 to find he had already poo'd in his crate. Its a bit looser than i'd like, took him out, cleaned it up, put him back to bed, he settled quickly, woke me at 5.30am to find he had already wee'd in the crate, took him out, cleaned it up, woke me at 7.30 to find he had poo'd in the crate again. Gah, took him out, brought him back in gave him brekkie - took him back out straight away he didn't go AT ALL (was outside for half an hour) even though he looked like he needed to poop, bought him back in and now he is asleep in the crate.

Tips?? Hoping today will go better!

Preempt the crate toileting and take him out during the night, before he has a chance to go in the crate. Is he whining or barking to be let out?

Oh no :( doesn't sound good.

Does he have too much room in his crate? Can you get a divider to make it a lot smaller so he has no room to spare for a toilet?

I know Nixon never got the idea of whining when he needs to go. Basically if we hear him stirring a lot and moving around at night then it's time to take him out.

Before we caved and bought him a crate though, he was in his playpen at night, and he used to go to the toilet and then wake us up to come clean up after him. I don't miss cleaning up poo in the middle of the night, that's for sure.

Not ideal, but maybe tonight you need to set your alarm for every 2 hours and take him out to toilet. Then you gradually start lengthening the intervals as he gets better with his toileting.

An article I read said most pups sleep through the night by 16 weeks, but you can make it happen sooner using scheduling as above to gradually lengthen the intervals.

I don't think his crate is to big. He is currently in a cat travel crate. lol He can stand up, turn around, stretch out, but that's about all. I think I'll try the setting alarm for every 2 hours and see how that goes. Hopefully i'll be able to get on top of it then. lol I think he'll need a bath today though! And its so damn cold here. :(

Perhaps you will need to set an alarm at smaller intervals throughout the night and take him out BEFORE he wakes up to poop. Might get the ball rolling?

How big is his crate? Nova is in an adult sized crate but with lots and lots of bedding so its snuggly. He won't go in it.

He won't go in? Have you looked at the DVD crate games?

He won't go in? Have you looked at the DVD crate games?

No no, he won't "go", as in toilet, in it laugh.gif

He loves his crate, just took himself into it now actually.

I don't think his crate is to big. He is currently in a cat travel crate. lol He can stand up, turn around, stretch out, but that's about all. I think I'll try the setting alarm for every 2 hours and see how that goes. Hopefully i'll be able to get on top of it then. lol I think he'll need a bath today though! And its so damn cold here. :(

Good luck. Let us know how you go... Our first 4-6 weeks with Nixon I think I was chronically sleep deprived and felt absolutely horrendous the whole time (when I wasn't cuddling my really cute puppy). I just wish I'd known this forum was here then - some commiseration is always handy. Just knowing others had been through it and survived would have been very reassuring!

Yeah we were pretty exhausted too. You learn to sleep light haha.

As soon as Gus woke up or stirred we would bolt for his bed to take him out and wait, which is not fun in the dead of night through Winter. But he did get it fast and now free ranges at night with no accidents, he will whine at the side of the bed to go out for a pee now.

I think the key really is pre-empting it, if they don' get a chance to do it, there's just no other option I suppose.

Is he going before bed as well? I found Gus COULD do a wee every hour when asked, he could hold it for 2-3, but we were up a lot those first few weeks. Shudder to think! I'm still catching up on sleep now and it's been weeks!