A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Guest hankodie

Hank you are doing exactly what I am/have been with Nova, No puppy preschool for us, We have been meeting calm known dogs and only allowing play once he has been paying attention to me instead and acting calm.

Those girls seem much more polite than most the adults that try and rush me and Nova icon_smile_mad.gif I'm more than apt at telling people No!

I did have to put myself in front of 4 screaming 18year olds this afternoon. "Please don't squeal at my dog".

Glad to hear from someone trying out the same approach! Odie went to puppy school and I really do attribute her experience there with a lot of the excitement issues she has around other dogs, so it will be interesting to see what Hank is like after puppyhood. Admittedly the puppy school I took her to was a terrible one, if I had known what I know now I'd raise her a whole lot differently but oh well, everything is a learning experience. Good for you for sticking up for Nova - another thing I wish I had done differently with Odie. I'm very shy and not very outspoken but this time around I am going to people to PLEASE BACK UP AND GIVE PUPPY SPACE :mad the worst is when people rush up excitedly and don't even acknowledge your presence and then proceed to stick their hands in the puppy's face. UMMMMM hello??? And then you say "please just wait until puppy settles down, then you can pat him" and then they say "but look, he's is sooo excited to say hi!". Yeah lady, just wait until the dog is 30+ kilos and putting his paws all over you. Not so cute then.

Btw Nova has the prettiest coat I think I've ever seen on a dog :love: and those eyes!

I took Hank in the car today for the 3rd time, he hates it :( he was so stressed, panting and whining the entire time. I tried giving him treats & lots of praise for settling when I put him in. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it? Odie seemed to take to the car right away when she was a pup.

Gus used to haaaaate the car, do the same thing. Lots of carrying on and sulking, but we just kept it up and he's made the connection that car takes us to parks, beaches, cafes, visiting people so now he LEAPS in and waits to be seatbelted in. Very funny.

Just stick it out, he will come good! Food is always a good thing to have on hand, Haha.

Good to know Gus loves the car now! There's hope for Hank yet!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking I might just tell people that Willow is a Rottweiler BEFORE they start patting her. I've been having the same problem with people wanting to pat her, then she goes all nutty when people are near. She's getting big now, and for me it's not so cute thanks. But when you tell them she's a Rottweiler (they ask AFTER they have got her all stupid and excited), they usually go all quiet and pat her with a lot less enthusiasm, searching for a polite way to back away. It's kind of funny in a sad way. :(

I don't mind people wanting to say Hello, I just wish that they would wait till she is sitting nicely. Just the way she USED to do only a few short weeks ago.

I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to take that shit from people. My last dog had severe stomach allergies and you would be shocked at the amount of people that think it is perfectly ok to feed strange dogs!icon_smile_mad.gif

Thank you :) Nova is a Blue Merle Australian Shepherd, the merle is the pale patterning, with 'blue' meaning black base. You can also get red merles smile.gif. They are very pretty dogs, probably why he keeps being mistaken for a girl. But people look at him and go on about how much they want one, when they don't even know what he is until I tell them, so I try to put into peoples mind that they are a working dog and need a lot of training and exercise. i don't want people going out and buying them just because they are pretty :(

If you look into the Aussie pics thread you will be able to see some more, they come in different colours and the merles all have unique patterns, all with varying degrees of tan and white (or none). Nova has lots of Tan and not as much white as some.

The pattern is also seen in other breeds like Collies, Border collies, Shelties, Dachshund (called dapple), great danes, Cardigan corgis...and I'm sure theres more!

Dory thats sad people are still so judgemental towards rotties. My partner still gets it with his ACD, apparently they are all vicious dogs.

Edited by LisaCC

Guest hankodie

Dory that is sad about Willow, I knew a lovely rotti growing up and all the breed misconceptions make me sad :( on the plus side at least you can deter a few idiots! Have you thought about getting her a patch that says "please give me space"? My trainer has recommended one for Odie as I have the same problem with her - I haven't ordered one yet but wondering it something like that works or if people just ignore it.

I encountered my first squealing woman today, thanks for the forewarning LisaCC. She went right in and reached for Hank without a word to me, I had to physically stick my arm out to keep her from getting in Hank's face :eek: she was a bit taken aback to say the least.

I don't mind Hank meeting and greeting people at all, I just wish the majority of people were a bit more polite about it. I really admire you all for enforcing calmness with your dogs before they meet strangers. I was not vigilant enough with Odie and it really has set us back in training - I make her sound like a horrible dog, she's not, she's so sweet and loving towards all humans and dogs but her excitement is wayyy out of control.

Steph M you are lucky indeed! Gus is so presh :love:

Some photos of Hank clowning around in the yard. He had a fascination with the blanket on the line, I called him away from being naughty but not before I snapped a cheeky photo :laugh:

z7g3a.jpg

2lk5sgl.jpg

28sldhx.jpg

funiph.jpg

vewx3t.jpg

jl6kwn.jpg

2vkc94i.jpg

Yes it's funny how people will want to pat your puppy when it's cute and little, no one ever asks to pat Wisdom now, ever! I was just saying to a client the other day who was having trouble with people not asking to pat his GSD pup that give it a few months and they won't be asking anymore! Sad but true.

However My beagle and Sibe (when he lived with me) always get loads of attention when we take them out.

Nova has cracked 9.5kgs yesterday! at not quite 14weeks! I think he's going to be a big boy!

We found another little river reserve out of town yesterday and went exploring again! I've posted some pics in this photo thread

While we were down there I worked on Novas recall. So impressed by him, under lots of distraction with Brock wanting to play with him and getting my two friends to jump around like idiots, new environment. I should of filmed it, straight back to me every time!

This photo is post bath after we came back. Look of contempt, yet too tired to do anything about it laugh.gif

1170676_10151636821310787_271754279_n.jpg

Edited by LisaCC

Guest hankodie

Aww he looks very content indeed! He is just gorgeous :love:

Can't wait to take Hank swimming but am worried about snakes :( seems they are out already. My husband found ANOTHER baby snake in our front yard again yesterday, 2nd time we've found a baby one in the same place since we moved here 10 months ago. Needless to say there was a huge clean up this morning in the yards!!! And I don't even live in a bushy area! I grew up overseas in a huge city with zero exposure to nature so I'm extra paranoid that all wildlife in Australia is out to get me/my pups :( I asked my husband if he could buy me and the dogs protective bubble suits. He laughed. I was kind of serious.

I'm pretty sure Hank has some common sense bred into him but Odie is hopeless. I'm dreading summer and the tedious yard checks every time we have to let the dogs out but it's better than one of them coming across something nasty :cry:

Snakes are not something I take lightly, my partners dog was bitten by a Death Adder at the start of this year and they aren't even supposed to be near this area at all! It paralysed her for a few weeks. After a lot of vet care thankfully she is now fine.

My back yard is virtually snake proof as all the fences are buried about 1 foot underground. Perhaps you can look into snake proofing if you have a nest near by?

Guest hankodie

omg Lisa that's horrible :eek: so glad she came out OK in the end but how worrying for you & her owner. Snake proofing is definitely on the agenda, we are getting new fences in the next couple of weeks. The last owners left the house in quite a state of neglect, the yard was a giant junk pile when we moved in. It's a lot better now but some more work needs to be done.

The dogs are never ever ever unsupervised in the yard. I work from home as well as out of an office nearby, so I'm either home with them or I take them to work with me (Hank hasn't been yet because he hasn't had all of his shots but as soon as he's ready he'll come along). When Odie wants to go out she just stands at the top of the stairs and barks, I have a gate across the top. Contemplating getting a little bell and teaching Hank how to ring it if he needs to go out but not sure if this would drive me crazy or not :laugh:

I must say I'm so happy at how Odie is with Hank. She is very good at teaching him manners but so tolerant of his antics at the same time. She looks for him now whenever he's in his pen. It must be love :love:

Here is Hank trying desperately to get Odie to pay attention to him:

20qde2o.jpg

:laugh:

crying.gif I woke up this morning to discover Nova has tapeworm segments on his butt!!

We are off to the vets as soon as they open. He does not have fleas, and he is wormed on schedule with Drontal. He does like to eat dirt so perhaps he picked it up from infected dirt. I'm hoping its just normal tapeworm and not Hydatids. We do have sheep close by us.

Oh no Lisa! Hope it's easily taken care of :(

Does he eat lizards/geckos? I think that is the other main way I've heard of to get them, and apparently needs a higher dosage of wormer to treat. Hopefully not! Let us know how he goes at the vet.

I've never seen him eat lizards or geckos but we do have them around the house, little tiny skinks and tiny geckos, but i haven't seen any out yet.

My uni has sheep grazing through it, so I could of easily walked some sheep poop home. Hence why I'm worried about Hydatids (but probably overreacting).

Vet at 9:15, Nova was good and gave me a fresh stool sample, and I have lots of sample jars around so I got one for the vet. If I wasn't so worried I'd go do it myself in the labs laugh.gif

You can easily see the worms though.

I'm overreacting, I needed to calm down and remember my learning lol Hydatids tapeworms live in dogs for years and don't drop out like normal ones. But yea they are nasty and dogs are a host and can then infect humans.