A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, this is day four of Tyrion being on his medication, and he'll get his second bath for the week today. The good news he is already improving. He isn't itching anywhere near as much, he doesn't smell as much and he feels much nicer to cuddle and pat. I also had the vet double check his testicle when we were there last time, as it was still undecended, well it has decended but not into the scrotum, the vet said it is in the groin area next to his leg, which if left can cause complications. So, in the new year he will most certainly be desexed and at the same time have his rear dew claws removed.

I Guess I had better drop in and say Hello! I picked up my Dalmatian Pup on Saturday :thumbsup: He is so lovely, and well behaved.... so far LOL

We haven't had any toileting accidents inside as yet, all toileting is done outside in the area I want him to use and he is getting the hang of weeing on command. The first night we had him home he cried a little at 1am, but last night he slept through from 9.30 til 6.30 this morning!

Here is a little photo of him with my Son Malakai, they are becoming great mates!

2m3s9bm.jpg

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

New puppies yay! They are both gorgeous!

Littleduck you are so lucky! 9:30-6:30, I didn't get that kind of sleep for months!!

I still don't. :cry: No matter what time Willow goes to bed, or has her last pee. It's between 6am - 6.30am. :laugh:

Beautiful puppies, btw!

We got to see the Super Sumo last night :bottom:...he is so HUGE. And those ears! OMG :love: . I would to have loved to have cuddles, but Willow kept trying to entice him into getting dirty. :o

LOL is it bad that I am far more impressed by the lack of toileting inside the house than the sleep? He has pretty much just followed me around since he came home... so If I am inside, he is in with me etc.

But yes ... far more impressed not having to clean up wee inside ;)

PS Luvsdogs, I adore your little bundle of fluff, just gorgeous.

I can't tell you anymore how cute all the puppies are, or you will all know I have been quietly stalking you all in here for months :rofl:

Ah, new puppies!! They're both absolutely gorgeous!!

I too, am more impressed by the sleeping than lack of peeing. Somewhere along the line Nixon decided he needed to start waking me up once, if not twice during the night - sometimes to go outside, sometimes just for the hell of it :( A sleeping puppy is pure gold!

Gus was in fine form this weekend for the Gun Dog Assoc. Training Day. He hadn't had a walk in 2 days so was ready to go and I should have seen the impending disaster when he was doing happy zoomy laps of the front yard while I was loading the car up.

He was a total turd. All barking and chatting and just wanted to talk to the other puppies. So excited once he realised there was retrieving going on.

He worked out what we were doing pretty quick and the gunshot didn't bother him at all. We got some awesome tips and I'm really excited to keep at it. We spent ten minutes this morning playing the 'steady feet game'

Ask your dog to sit or stand and stand in front of them with a treat in your hand. Let them know you have a treat in your hand and move your hand slowly around their head and from side to side, tempting them to move and keep an eye on their feet at all times. The dog may move its head or neck but all feet must remain on the ground. If the dog moves its feet at all, then snatch the treat away quickly behind your back and leave your hand behind your back for a second or two before trying again. There’s no need to say anything if your dog moves…actions speak louder than words! Tempt them with the treat for a few seconds to start with and reward if they do not move. If your dog moves its feet and you have to snatch the treat away a few times it will soon get the idea of the game and have extremely steady feet.

He was getting better but alas, suckers have to work.

He really was such a bugger at the start though. Spent most of his day on the long line but showed ‘great potential’ according to one of the throwers toward the end when he A) had stopped barking out of excitement, and B) was allowed to retrieve from water, which admittedly we’ve done much more of than on land. I was concerned he was going to take me into the dam though. Every time anyone threw a dummy he was launching himself forward on lead. I had the fear and today my shoulders are killing me!

I have some photos but alas, they’re at home. Will post them later! We had a blast! Not sure we're welcome back though! Hahaha.

That sounds awesome Steph!

On my long list of future dogs more retrievers are in there so I'm taking mental notes of what I could do laugh.gif

Thanks Aliwake, I gave Nova a bath yesterday with some new Ivory Coat sensitive shampoo and conditioner, it's basically the same ingredients as Aloveen but without Oatmeal. I gave his paws a good wash and then as well as flushing his infected foot with Epi-otic, put Betadine on all his other paws and it seemed to help at least for the night, I woke up to him chewing them again though.

We are trying topical treatments first just to make sure it's not a contact allergy, then if it hasn't done anything when I finish up this bag of food (about a week or so) I'll switch him over to Grain Free.

He honestly had an absolute blast, Lisa.

It's amazing how strong that instinct is and watching young pups and older dogs just take to it, without any real formal training. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It was great! Lots of handy hints in general too.

Gus was in fine form this weekend for the Gun Dog Assoc. Training Day. He hadn't had a walk in 2 days so was ready to go and I should have seen the impending disaster when he was doing happy zoomy laps of the front yard while I was loading the car up.

He was a total turd. All barking and chatting and just wanted to talk to the other puppies..

Willow is great at training, because she knows the routine. BUT...I took her to the showgrounds here in SA last night. And she was ATROCIOUS! Seriously wouldn't have thought she'd had a days discipline in her LIFE. :eek: I'm going to have to take her back a few more times I think, before I'd even consider putting her in a show. I was really embarrassed. :o

He was the same. He was honestly hopping on the spot and whining. Not one for patience…

In all fairness, it’s a lot to ask for a young dog to hang about and wait their turn. Restraint is not a known concept…

And new things are exciting! A lot of that is growing up IMO.

He still does need to learn patience. Good heavens. Haha.

Dare I ask what she did? She's cute enough to pull it off...

Her favourite trick (aside from dragging me everywhere, while she choked and spluttered on the end of the lead), was to rear up on back legs and flail her front legs at every person and dog who went past us or we went past. That's a lot of dogs and people at a dog show. She scored numerous pats and got to play with a few dogs too. Which had her doing on lead zoomies. Hilarious! If not so good for my tortured shoulders. :lol

Later I did some static sit, drops and stands with a piece of grass. She performed beautifully. It's just the walking around on a lead with manners bit that needs LOTS of work.