A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason Nova has decided that stealing things is suddenly the best thing EVER!

He used to be so trustworthy... the little shit.

Tonight alone he has stolen 3x pen, 2 x sock, 1 x nail file, countless pieces of crap like bread clips and pegs that I'm not even sure where he's finding them.

He's not a very food driven dog so some of these things he doesn't want to swap for a treat! He's not very cunning though and hasn't figured out running away is fun yet. But downfalls of having a dog that tugs like crazy is that he can clamp those jaws shut very hard!!

Look at him looking all innocent.

The thief!

post-44325-0-11798500-1386246304_thumb.jpg

Willow is doing the same thing!! She trots into the lounge room with her ill gotten gains and stands there with a pleased look on her face. Until she spots my daughter...who is the bad person that takes all the good stuff away....then she runs away or LEAPS onto the couch behind me (over the arm rests in one bound...for a big dog she is agile) and tries to hide. Epic fail :doh:. Cos then I take it from her. :laugh: But she seems happy to do that for big kisses then :idea: runs off to find more 'cool stuff'.

The ultimate embarrassment? At training she managed to get the tug off me and she ran off doing zoomie laps around the field with THE happiest, cheekiest face imaginable :happydance:. I couldn't help it. The look on her face was so joyful, happy, cheeky and triumphant. I was :rofl: :rofl: then trying to be all serious face :scold: and she was like :rasberry: and I was like :rofl: . We got her back and later did some more work with a lot more success. :laugh:

I know I shouldn't laugh, but it was totally unexpected.

I absolutely do not believe for one minute that Nova and Willow have turned in troublesome Teens :eek: I think I need video proof of the "alledged" misbehaviour. I think they are simply helping with the housework :rofl:

I certainly sympathise with Jaws of steel though, Tip would give for a treat, Kira just does not tug at all (If mum wants it, she can have it)but Jingo will not drop anything, and even though we never chase him, he still runs with it.

Di

Benji has just run off with one of my Thongs... and a very cheeky look on his face! LOL funny I should come in here and read about stealing puppies!

We have just returned from the Vet for his 9 week vaccs. He is perfectly healthy :thumbsup: But I got lectured to the hilt!

Shouldn't be feeding the food the breeder recommends.... shouldn't ever give dogs raw chicken necks or wings.... shouldn't ever leave the yard, except for puppy school until after 12 weeks ( that includes car trips where he never gets out of the car!)

Oh and I feed my Ragdoll cats Royal Cannin food, but my breeder said RC has too much Protein in it for Dalmatians, so not to feed it to Benji because Dallys have a tendency to form kidney stones with too much protien!

The Vet said, oh no... RC is the best food for Dalmatians *eye roll*

I spent alot of time smiling and nodding, but I will be following my breeders instructions along with other more knowlegeable Dally owners thanks!

LOL turned into a bit of a rant there! Sorry ;)

Oh Willow! That would of been fun to see!

Tikira I'll try and get a photo of his mischief tonight, he give me this look, even if I haven't notice he's grabbed anything he'll just stare at me and I know he's got something in there laugh.gif

Littleduck if I was you I'd be looking for a new vet, at very least one that understands a dalmatians dietary needs and doesn't just try to sell you the food they sell!

Dotdashdot: You were right, i just got a Petstock christmas card and gift voucher in the mail. I most definitely was one of the highest spenders rofl1.gif

Great to hear Benji is doing so well, and obviously enjoying life at your house.

I find one vet at our clinic is very old fashioned regarding food,but luckily the others offer advice I like- but the old fashioned guy knows his vet work backwards, so we benefit from a mix of ideas. I would think your breeder has the experience with Dalmations- not all dogs should be treated aloke.

Yep, I spend a lot of time nodding and smiling, then making my own decisions, it is the best way to go.

Di

I got a Petstock christmas card with a voucher in it too :D not sure if I am a big spender, I know I am a serial returner.. Nope that food didn't work, this didn't work, that didn't work I am suprised I get a happy reception from the petstock people rather then a "Oh go god she is back what is she returning this time" :laugh:

--Lhok

I got a Petstock christmas card with a voucher in it too :D not sure if I am a big spender, I know I am a serial returner.. Nope that food didn't work, this didn't work, that didn't work I am suprised I get a happy reception from the petstock people rather then a "Oh go god she is back what is she returning this time" :laugh:

--Lhok

Oh god I'm feeling the same now, I know the people in there and I feel really bad. I still have about 4kilos left in a bag of pro plan, I feel thats not enough to return it even though technically it is, but this new food I'm switching to is bloody expensive.

Quinn says not good enough Nova, don't you know that anything you get hold of should really be pulled apart to investigate what's inside it! The tree is a good start :)

laugh.gif I'm happy not having a destructo puppy this time!

I can leave him in the lounge room while I have a shower and not come back to wreckage.

Benji has just run off with one of my Thongs... and a very cheeky look on his face! LOL funny I should come in here and read about stealing puppies!

We have just returned from the Vet for his 9 week vaccs. He is perfectly healthy :thumbsup: But I got lectured to the hilt!

Shouldn't be feeding the food the breeder recommends.... shouldn't ever give dogs raw chicken necks or wings.... shouldn't ever leave the yard, except for puppy school until after 12 weeks ( that includes car trips where he never gets out of the car!)

Oh and I feed my Ragdoll cats Royal Cannin food, but my breeder said RC has too much Protein in it for Dalmatians, so not to feed it to Benji because Dallys have a tendency to form kidney stones with too much protien!

The Vet said, oh no... RC is the best food for Dalmatians *eye roll*

I spent alot of time smiling and nodding, but I will be following my breeders instructions along with other more knowlegeable Dally owners thanks!

LOL turned into a bit of a rant there! Sorry ;)

Find a new vet!! Lol. RC isn't totally bad for dallies, as it's purines more than protein that matters, but it has a lot of corn anyway. RC make a dally specific food but it's not sold in Aus as there isn't enough of a market! Stupid really, there are 500 of us on that Dalmatian group and most of us have 2 or more dals.

I'm so lucky that my vets understand that I have my own opinions and knowledge, although wearing my work uniform (Petstock) helps, as they must figure that I do know more than the average owner.

Lhok and Lisa, great to hear you got vouchers!! I got a Christmas card from my vet, the first ever. I'm thinking it's probably more because of the amount of money spent there this year rather than them actually liking me.

Now on the adventures of Nala...today we visited the vet for her first serious reason, she had a little bit of blood in diarrhea. No vomiting, still had a good appetite but I took a stool sample in with me and the vet was pretty much happy with how she looked, her stomach and her temp + no coccidia (sp?) or worm eggs. So she's on Scourban for a few days but already the runs have stopped. I think it's time to stop with the Supercoat that the breeder had her on and switch fully to the premium food.

She also weighs a whole 5.9kgs now! When we first got her she was 4.8, so a nice little gain :)

I just might find a new Vet, this same Vet lectured me about the size of my Ragdoll cat. A typical adult male raggie should be around 10 kilos when full grown, my boy was 8.5 kilos ( and well balanced) and the vet was on his high horse about his weight!

I, again just smiled and nodded. But yes, time for a new Vet I think!

Benji had a little bit of Diarrhea last night too, but the vet checked him over and said he was fine, and it had all resolved this morning. I spoke with my breeder this morning and told her he was weighing in at 7.8 kilos. She told me that benji was the runt of the litter and was born 3 hours after his siblings!

I knew he was special!

Nice little Gain for Nala! they will be all grown up sooner than we know it!

I have a little thief here too. She loves my thongs & sandles, taking Panda's bedding out of his bed, tissues, the list goes on. And it didn't take her long to know that if I went after her when she has something in her mouth, to run away from me. :mad Note to self, I must remember to have something to swap the contraband with. Not always easy on the spur of the moment.

Poor Nala. I hope she's back to normal soon. When I 1st got Panda he had the runs, not a pleasant thing with a white fluffy but, even though I fed him what the breeder said he was on (Optimum). We were washing his but sometimes a couple of times a day. I rang the breeder to tell her & she said oh I thought it had cleared up with Scourban & did I give him some. I hadn't heard of it before & asked her to spell it. I then took him to the vet & she said not to give him the Scourban because it only dehydrated them & to put him on a diet of boiled chicken & rice. It cleared up after a few days but still to this day I have to watch what he has, he's on a raw meaty bone diet now & we only have a messy but every other month.

Envy's a big girl now, it doesn't take long for them to grow. :)

So proud of my little 10.5 week old baby Laci. :thumbsup: Yesterday we had to go to my brother in law's funeral on the Central Coast. Much debate on what to do with her. First off we were going to take her with us but as the morning turned out quite warm & not assured of a shady spot to park the car I decided to leave her at home.

As she climbs out of her pen, couldn't leave her in a crate all day, so I decided to clear out the bathroom of all she could chew up & eat, :D which left no alternative but to put Tilba's crate against the vanity, minus it's door so she'd have somewhere to sleep & couldn't chew on the vanity doors or edges.

Two of my son's couldn't go to the wake so went together, then one back to his home in Ulladulla after dropping his brother off & youngest son then going to Wollongong for the weekend. They got home some 5+ hours after leaving in the morning to find her all wet, she loves to paddle & splash in her water bowls, thought maybe some wee but no poo. Cleaned her up & left again an hour later.

We arrived home another 5 hours later, I immediately took her outside where she did the biggest wee, on the path mind, almost as if to tell me, look Mum I waited to be let out. :laugh: Such a good girl. :cheer: