A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well agility was interesting. Nova was so good for the first half. Then barked his head off the rest of the time.

I left before the end because he was getting too hot and he just wanted to lay in the shade or paddling pool they had out there.

Good mix of trainers, one is a little old fashioned and the other is really open. So with her help I'm going to continue doing some more foundation work at home and on the side lines.

Sounds like Nova did really well for his first class Lisa, and good that you like the trainer too!

Nixon has now humped other dogs on two consecutive visits to the park (after never trying it before) - I suppose I should have expected it really... He clearly hasn't realised his balls are gone yet...

Lollipup our baby pups are growing up!

Aliwake, thats a bummer about the humping. Obviously it doesn't hurt anymore though!

After agility this morning I let Nova laze inside in the air con. He was like this for a while laugh.gif

IMG_2325_zpsa5f89c4e.jpg

Sounds like Nova did really well for his first class Lisa, and good that you like the trainer too!

Nixon has now humped other dogs on two consecutive visits to the park (after never trying it before) - I suppose I should have expected it really... He clearly hasn't realised his balls are gone yet...

More likely you haven't trained him not to do it.

Desexing doesn't train a dog.

Guest hankodie

Wow, so many new puppies in this thread! They are all so adorable :love: congrats new owners!

So I've just come back from a last minute overseas trip. Left Hank and Odie with my SO for 5 nights, by the 2nd night he was desperate for me to come home :laugh: I forget how much of a handful they are, I guess I'm just used to it!

Hank did miss me lots though and I've been the recipient of many slobbery kisses and adoring gazes this afternoon. What a momma's boy :laugh:

Quick question for anyone that has/is crate training their puppies - have you transitioned them to a bed or are you planning to? If so, how did you go about it? Hank loves his crate but it takes up a huge part of our bedroom and it annoys my SO. I still want the dogs to sleep in the bedroom with us though, so I was wondering if training him to sleep in a bed would be an ideal compromise. The only thing I'm worried about is him getting up/roaming the room, or asking to go out to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Odie is in a crate and I don't think that will change, mainly because she loves it and when she used to sleep outside of the crate/in our bed she would try to get up in the middle of the night to go out.

Minimax, I just said he'd NEVER tried to hump another dog before, and has only rarely (ie maybe 5-6 times) half humped his bed or a toy. I'm not a freaking idiot! Don't know how I was meant to train him out of a behaviour he never had?!

Minimax, I just said he'd NEVER tried to hump another dog before, and has only rarely (ie maybe 5-6 times) half humped his bed or a toy. I'm not a freaking idiot! Don't know how I was meant to train him out of a behaviour he never had?!

You've mentioned several times now that you expect behaviours to stop now that he's desexed (and got him desexed because he had behaviours you didn't like). So you're in for a shock when you realise the removal of the ability to reproduce doesn't actually train your dog for you :)

Yes, I did see your other comment, and I'm fully aware he will require training out of undesirable behaviours, but I also think being desexed will be of assistance. I know my dog very well, and I have no doubt that his behaviour has been affected by remaining entire. I have also been dealing with opposition from within my family to waiting any longer to desex. I'm not a dog trainer, and I'm well aware of my limitations in that direction. It was a very considered, personal decision that I was never 100% at peace with and your repeated guilt tripping isn't going to give him his balls back, or make me feel any better. I appreciate that your intention is to inform, but this decision wasn't made lightly.

You've mentioned several times now that you expect behaviours to stop now that he's desexed (and got him desexed because he had behaviours you didn't like). So you're in for a shock when you realise the removal of the ability to reproduce doesn't actually train your dog for you :)

Ezio (previously Waffles, but the name didn't suit) is settling in well. He has had only 2 accidents so far, the first my bf didn't catch him and the second I didn't know, he is so short that when he pees it looks like he is just standing and looking around! It is even harder because he is fluffy so you don't see anything until there is a puddle lol.

We took him to puppy school Saturday, he was pretty great, didn't bark once. We went to a puppy orientation class Sunday for Urban dogs to enrol him into puppy play group and had the pleasure of meeting someone who owns Ezio's brother who was going to attend the play groups too! What are the chances! So we are pretty excited for next Sunday so Ezio can play with his brother at play group :thumbsup: My bf has taken part in helping raise Ezio so it is awesome, we can take turns on things and my bf is coming to puppy school and play group with me so he can learn more :)

anyway here is some pictures of the fluffy

WYHN9P5h.jpg

pcPylNuh.jpg

peJMMg2h.jpg

HjqdOB0h.jpg

Guest hankodie

Does anyone have any advice? Hank seems to have gone off raw bones lately. It first started when I left him to eat it alone, he wouldn't touch it until I came back and pointed at the bone. Now he just ignores the bone all together, if I leave him out there for an hour I come back and the bone is untouched and he's either asleep or standing/whining at the door :confused:

He previously loved bones and I had a hard time trying to get him not to swallow them whole!!! Is this a behavioural thing or should I be worried?

I have increased the amount of kibble he's eating but he's still looking a touch too skinny for my liking (not emaciated by any means but I'm having trouble trying to pad him out a little).

Ezio is ADORABLE!

Hankodie, Nova won't eat when it's too hot (neither do I for that matter), so lately I've been giving him his turkey neck/wing etc, and he buries it almost straight away and will go back to it in the late afternoon/night when its cooler and the meat is well marinated in dirt laugh.gif

A few days, it's gotten so hot I've had to bring his normal dinner meal inside to the aircon just so he eats it, I don't want him eating dinner past 9pm when it's finally cool or he'll want to poop at 3am!

Guest hankodie

Good point Lisa, didn't think about the hot weather lately! I wish I could feed Hank his bones in the yard but I can't risk him burying them as Odie isn't allowed bones, they can cause her seizures.

Must be why Hank is shedding more than usual too - it looks like it's constantly snowing in here! My poor vacuum cleaner :laugh:

I love Ezio what a little cutie!

Hankodie maybe Hank's mouth is a little sore due to teething? Could be a reason he's gone off his bones.

Willow went off her bones when she was teething. So I gave them to her frozen and she seemed to like that. Now she's not teething she is a little offended at my lack of preparation should I give her one that is frozen now. (The Minx).

Simply Grand if you are still stalking this thread, I have evidence of sneaky stealing.

"Whats in your mouth Nova?"

...nothing at all.

post-44325-0-65014000-1386535845_thumb.jpg

Oh oh that, thats a christmas hat from a bon bon.

post-44325-0-34824300-1386535841_thumb.jpg

Hahaha! Love his "trying to look innocent but actually looking highly suspicious" face :)