A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Thanks everyone for his bday wishes :)

Hi Cassie, what a great photos of Sumo & your family.

Happy birthday to Sumo!

One thing that i cannot picture in my head, when he was teething...how did you survive with his biting/chewing/nipping your feet & hands?

I have my Japanese Spitz which is in teething stage now, and the occasional nipping/biting from her are painful! cannot imagine with Sumo that big :( unless he never bite at you? <-- my imagination he is a gentle giant! hahahaha :laugh:

Your image of the gentle giant is not far off Monchichi! Yes he went through the puppy biting stage like they all do, but it was hardly ever directed at us, maybe only once or twice when he first came home. We redirected his attention to toys and it was never an issue. He met his first babies (my nephews) when he was 4 months old (they were only 8 months old) and he instinctively lay down and let them touch him, never tried to mouth them once. They are incredible dogs, and truly do love everyone.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUMO. He's so gorgeous! I love how the giant breeds seem so unfazed by the world, like "meh, whatev's" while my guys are like "hey, hey whatcha doooiin?"

If my dogs lie down and go to sleep near me (outside of their crates/puppy pen) I consider that an achievement. That photo of Moose and Sumo would be like a trophy for me. lol. It's a dally thing, they are such busy bodies.

LOL that's funny dotdashdot :) I specifically chose my breeds for their easy going and chilled out natures, as I'm that way myself. I'm not super active every day, so a very active dog wouldn't suit me. Isn't it great how diverse all the purebreds are, there really is something to fit everyone :)

Oh look at him!!! He is so gorgeous! Happy Birthday Sumo!

Is it right that he will still grow for a year or more?

He'll slow right down in his growth now but should still grow "up" a little more, maybe another inch or two. He should continue filling out until he's at least three though, maybe even four, and his head won't be completely mature until then either :)

So.. Our pup Dozer, is definitely the OH'S dog..

He knows how to bust open the bedroom door (and quietly at that) if it's not latched completely. My sixth sense that he was doing something he shouldn't be went off..

Checked the usual places first, bathroom, housemates room and then I see the open bedroom door.

The little cherub was settled down nomming away at my favorite pair of undies -_-..

Do they ever grow out of stealing socks, bras or undies?

Edited by Taliecat

It's always a good pair too!!

It is! I believe I'm up to the third pair at the moment, plus a bra, a sandal, a play station controller,the fly screen from the back door.

I'm sure at least half a dozen socks have vanished (can't pin it on either dog, might actually be the washing machine) and there was also a tomato sauce bottle that was lifted from the pantry..

I love them to bits but they definitely require very close supervision :p

Especially around aforementioned incredibly tasty items!

:laugh: Taliecat. Some grow out of it, some don't. Panda doesn't touch anything but Tilba will very occasionally. Puppy, Laci, everything still. Hope she takes after Panda soon. Like you say, you have to watch & listen for them like a hawk.

The only one who loses undies around here is the teenager, I'm a little more on the ball, but then I've been down this path lots of times to have a routine.

Now TV remotes and other random items are a different story. Willow has figured out if she wants something, you have much more success if you have something to negotiate with. :laugh:

We can also tell when she thinks it's dinner time.

Ploy 1: Shove your bucket head into everyone's space and look cute, beautiful and vulnerable.

Ploy 2: Stick your head in Dory's face, Dory growls, this annoys me and elicits a response of some variety.

Ploy 3: Wander around like a lost soul who is trying to find a purpose. (or an item to steal)

Ploy 4: Check all corners, under furniture for a cat to annoy.

Ploy 5: Return to annoy Dory.

Ploy 6: Bull your way past the coffee table back and forth, whilst Giver of Food is trying to type.

Ploy 7: Steal an item. TV remote if possible, pens are also good, but in desperation any object will do. If an inferior object is chosen ie: not a TV remote or pen, then shove object in the lap of Giver of Food.

As annoying as it can be, I love it too. It's fun watching her creativity and problem solving skills at work. :D

Luvsdogs did you sign up for a Dr. Katrina thing on FB? My workmate tagged me in a post, and one of the people picked had a jap spitz called Laci and I thought it might be you?

If it is, let me know how it is! I saw the post way too late to participate but would have been interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow he is MASSIVE then!

You pull the material bit that says "ezydog" on the chest, back like your pulling off a stocking and you should see velcro straps, you adjust them to make it bigger then pull the sleeve bit back over it.

I'm so glad he is what you wanted!

God Nova is a little nugget then laugh.gif He's currently still feeling a little on the thin side, but Petstock scales weighed him in at 25.6 yesterday! Some male fully grown aussies only weigh 21kgs! But some weigh about 31kgs too. Shall be interesting when he's filled out completely.

I need to bath him again to see exactly how thin he is, too fluffy!