julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

post-44959-0-66984300-1415427842_thumb.jpg

post-44959-0-03913300-1415427806_thumb.jpg

Look what came to my place today. She, Spice, and my 12 year old boy Gus have met and greeted each other quite happily and now basically ignoring each other. It is a long time since I had an 8 week old puppy and even longer since I had one that was not born here. Interesting days ahead I think.

ETA: Thank you to Bertie for explaining to me how to add photos.

Edited by Airedaler

Gorgeous pics of gorgeous pups :)

I too have a little munchkin to call my own. This is Poppy, a Border Terrier and bundle of energy and mischief. I've taken two weeks 'maternity' leave and am having a ball, but am also making sure to build up her time alone for when I return to work. Its going to be a sad end to my leave knowing I have to ignore her through most of the day!.

She flew to Gold Coast from Vic on Tuesday and seemed to travel really well. So far we haven't had any messes inside so fingers crossed I can make that continue. She's in a crate beside my bed at night and first night she went to the toilet every 3 hours but last night she slept from 8.30 to 3am (Hallelujah!). Maggie was horrified for the first 24 hours and was very stiff and intense when looking at her. Poppy was either in her indoor or outdoor ex pen and when I saw Maggie play bowing through the wire I was very relieved, they're now getting on very well thank goodness.

We haven't done too much as yet but she's had a bath and knows to sit for the ex pen doors to be opened. We watched the garbage truck come past this morning and today I'll take her to the vets for a friendly hello. Its meant to be 35 degrees here on the weekend which is a bummer as I wanted to build up to getting her out and about.

I apologise now for puppy picture overload! (Sorry they're so huge, they're straight from photobucket).

[/img]http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Roova7/media/Puppy/NIK_6492_zpsf722554d.jpg.html]NIK_6492_zpsf722554d.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsae6e1028.jpg

imagejpg7_zpsd4236539.jpg

20141111_114430_zpsmwon4htt.jpg

Where's my ball gone?

NIK_6507_zps900eadcf.jpg

20141112_132452_zps8p4zgqc3.jpg

Bit of growing to do yet...

NIK_6520_zps962a0d32.jpg

Great photos Roova, I hope Poppy will bring you many happy hours of fun. I'm sure Maggie will enjoy her before too long as well but a new puppy can be very irritating for the incumbent dog. Just looking at what Gus my 12 year old puts up with from Spice I can see a few lessons coming her way.

Wonderful pics everyone! :)

Alvse, I particularly love yours! We have been Toller fans for years and hope that in we will be able to be blessed with one in time! :)

We are currently waiting on our first pup (goldie) and he will be home with us in December.

Edited by Sephie

Week one down, what a fun week!

Poppy is doing really well and last night slept through the night..oh sweet sleep. She takes herself outside to toilet through the day except at night when I take her out.

Today she had two hours in the ex pen outside and each day this week I'll increase by an hour and then back to work next week boo.

She is not very food motivated unfortunately which makes training a bit hard. I get about three goes at something before she refuses the food. I've tried everything chicken, steak, pork, rabbit, cheese, chopped up Dentastix, her barf dinner. When I watch YouTube clips of puppies training they seem to get so much longer working on new behaviours. :(

So far though she sits before exiting the ex pen, sits before treats, sits if I have an open hand of food near her and is starting to touch my fingers when offered. I haven't put names to anything yet.

She's very confident with everything at home and in the back yard and will take herself off to explore, but less so with newer areas. I've taken her to the front of the house a few times to watch the neighbours and see the world go by but she's quite wary of everything. I'll just keep going slowly but surely.

One thing I'm struggling with is 'Manning her down' which The Focussed puppy' recommends. She hates being held and squirms no end. Even if she calls for a moment while I'm gently stroking her she'll soon try again to escape. The book suggest doing it for 20 minutes but there's no way she'd last that long without getting stressed (so it seems to me). Do I just persist and keep pulling her back to me? I only put her down after a moment of calmness.

How's everyone else's puppies going? Successes, struggles?

I'm attempting to attach photos from my phone so fingers crossed it works.

20141117_144206_zpsmtxardjq.jpg

20141117_144328_zpscasep0bi.jpg

20141115_082833_zpsrzsxkhvi.jpg

20141117_144612_zpsgcmwwfeg.jpg