A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Guest hankodie

I love Ezio what a little cutie!

Hankodie maybe Hank's mouth is a little sore due to teething? Could be a reason he's gone off his bones.

I love Ezio what a little cutie!

Hankodie maybe Hank's mouth is a little sore due to teething? Could be a reason he's gone off his bones.

Willow went off her bones when she was teething. So I gave them to her frozen and she seemed to like that. Now she's not teething she is a little offended at my lack of preparation should I give her one that is frozen now. (The Minx).

His adult teeth have all come in now, do you think they might still be growing & bothering him? He is being a little more destructive than usual with his chewing but I've chalked that up to being a teenager :laugh:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found with Panda that he kept chewing things long after teething had finished. Can't remember if Tilba was the same. I have heard or read somewhere that their teeth are still rather sore even after they are fully grown. They need time before resuming things like tug.

Does anyone have any advice? Hank seems to have gone off raw bones lately. It first started when I left him to eat it alone, he wouldn't touch it until I came back and pointed at the bone. Now he just ignores the bone all together, if I leave him out there for an hour I come back and the bone is untouched and he's either asleep or standing/whining at the door :confused:

He previously loved bones and I had a hard time trying to get him not to swallow them whole!!! Is this a behavioural thing or should I be worried?

I have increased the amount of kibble he's eating but he's still looking a touch too skinny for my liking (not emaciated by any means but I'm having trouble trying to pad him out a little).

Well if his adult teeth have come through there could be a different reason...he's not that hungry would be top of my list.

Depends on how you want to handle it. Do you consider the bone to be food or recreation? If it's recreation I wouldn't be too bothered. I would just pick it up and offer it later.

If it is food, then I would assume he isn't hungry and would again, pick it up and offer it later. He wouldn't get anything else until he had eaten that.

I've noticed that Willow goes from looking good, to looking 'skinny' in as little as a day. I up her food a little bit when that happens...I've also noticed it seems to coincide with a bit of a growth spurt. Is he going through a growth spurt?

Willow has had an awesome appetite lately, she's often a bit 'ho hum' about food. When she's 'ho hum' I get a little frustrated, but I don't cater to her. She eats what I give her...or it's nothing....except the same thing later. :laugh:

The only time I get concerned about lack of appetite is if their overall behaviour has changed or it goes on for more than a couple of days or their is significant weight loss. If she's still bouncing around like a loon and bringing me presents so I will play tug with her, then I figure she's alright and a slackening of the appetite isn't something to be too worried about.

She also has a clear 'face' she pulls when it's food she doesn't like (broccoli) as opposed to, she's not that hungry.

So as shared previously Nova is a big toy humper and has done so since about 10 weeks.

But I swear he is getting more and more retarded at it rofl1.gif

He has a big cow toy, who he "loves" very dearly. I just walked past to see him in the hall way with the cow wedged between him and the wall, humping away while laying down on his side!!

Haha so glad I have girl dogs :) Cleo will air hump when aroused around my mum's male dog (he's entire) but i'm cool with that. Cracks me up though!

Nala has hit 10 weeks and she's CRAZYYYY. I was told that livers are crazier than black and whites, and OMG it's correct. Cleo was never like this little minx, she's into EVERYTHING and I swear she's vindictive. But also adorably cute so she just melts your heart.

So glad I have 2 weeks off work starting on Thursday, we'll be able to get out for walks soon and I'm going to teach her how to swim!

So as shared previously Nova is a big toy humper and has done so since about 10 weeks.

He has a big cow toy, who he "loves" very dearly. I just walked past to see him in the hall way with the cow wedged between him and the wall, humping away while laying down on his side!!

That is so hilarious! I have the best mental picture!!

Nixon didn't hump anyone at the park today (yay!) but he did get humped in the face by two separate small dogs?! Didn't seem to phase him much :) I swear there must be something in the air at the park at the moment -it's out of character for all of them! Had all us humans in stitches though.

Ezio is settling in, he tries to act like a spoilt brat but is learning things don't go his way. It is difficult to train him to walk because he hates being in the sun too long and most times he walks for 5 seconds then flops onto the ground and just lays there - he gets hot too easy and even late afternoon is too warm for him. He is picking up the sit very well, I might start introducing a verbal soon for sit since he is responding well to the hand signal, his drop still needs a lure however, I think I might need to train him to follow my hands more.

He seems to prefer outside, probably because he gets to sleep on cold tiles compared to a slightly warm house so I have allowed him to sleep outside when he does now and then, it is good because he will only be allowed access to the laundry and yard when we go to work and then free roam when we get home (not for a long time, he won't be allowed out of his puppy pen inside until way past his chewing phase!) so he gets used to being alone for a little bit.

Edited by Kanae

Guest hankodie

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hank was a big humper as a little baby but seems to have outgrown it for the most part! Although having said that.... he doesn't own any stuffed animals big enough to "love" :rofl:

Guest hankodie

Does anyone have any advice? Hank seems to have gone off raw bones lately. It first started when I left him to eat it alone, he wouldn't touch it until I came back and pointed at the bone. Now he just ignores the bone all together, if I leave him out there for an hour I come back and the bone is untouched and he's either asleep or standing/whining at the door :confused:

He previously loved bones and I had a hard time trying to get him not to swallow them whole!!! Is this a behavioural thing or should I be worried?

I have increased the amount of kibble he's eating but he's still looking a touch too skinny for my liking (not emaciated by any means but I'm having trouble trying to pad him out a little).

Well if his adult teeth have come through there could be a different reason...he's not that hungry would be top of my list.

Depends on how you want to handle it. Do you consider the bone to be food or recreation? If it's recreation I wouldn't be too bothered. I would just pick it up and offer it later.

If it is food, then I would assume he isn't hungry and would again, pick it up and offer it later. He wouldn't get anything else until he had eaten that.

I've noticed that Willow goes from looking good, to looking 'skinny' in as little as a day. I up her food a little bit when that happens...I've also noticed it seems to coincide with a bit of a growth spurt. Is he going through a growth spurt?

Willow has had an awesome appetite lately, she's often a bit 'ho hum' about food. When she's 'ho hum' I get a little frustrated, but I don't cater to her. She eats what I give her...or it's nothing....except the same thing later. :laugh:

The only time I get concerned about lack of appetite is if their overall behaviour has changed or it goes on for more than a couple of days or their is significant weight loss. If she's still bouncing around like a loon and bringing me presents so I will play tug with her, then I figure she's alright and a slackening of the appetite isn't something to be too worried about.

She also has a clear 'face' she pulls when it's food she doesn't like (broccoli) as opposed to, she's not that hungry.

Bones should definitely be part of his meals according to his breeder Dory. Since he's been ignoring them I've been upping his kibble a bit (which he still eats quite enthusiastically). Maybe it's too hot and bones are too much of an effort to eat?

I think he's also definitely going through a growth spurt, he is looking so lanky at the moment!

Guest hankodie

sw9uyx.jpg

Testing out Christmas photos with the dogs.... Hank was less than enthusiastic about his bowtie. I think it looked a tiny bit girly :laugh:

Yup he's a little bit special rofl1.gif

Good work Nixon for not humping faces!

Congrats DDD on Nalas papers! I was so excited when Nova's came and even more when they had my name on them biggrin.gif

Hank is still adorable even if he is looking a bit lanky! I just want to smoosh his face!!

I always picture Hank as a little, bundle of little puppy cuteness. Now he's turning into a handsome young man. It's always a bit of a shock when you see how much they have grown.

I'm trying to get a picture of Dory and Willow together, it's a fail every time. :laugh:

Willow mouths Dory and Dory dodges underneath Willow, then ones sitting the other is jumping around and vice versa. :crazy:

Suffice to say...Dory can almost walk under Willow without having to duck and has figured that if you want to get away from gnashing puppy teeth, stand under the puppy. :cool:

Haha so glad I have girl dogs :) Cleo will air hump when aroused around my mum's male dog (he's entire) but i'm cool with that. Cracks me up though!

Nala has hit 10 weeks and she's CRAZYYYY. I was told that livers are crazier than black and whites, and OMG it's correct. Cleo was never like this little minx, she's into EVERYTHING and I swear she's vindictive. But also adorably cute so she just melts your heart.

So glad I have 2 weeks off work starting on Thursday, we'll be able to get out for walks soon and I'm going to teach her how to swim!

I know how you feel! Mila is now 9 weeks and the last couple of days she has really come out of her shell and is now MENTAL!! Poor Ruby (our 2 year old frenchie) is the butt of Mila's puppy attacks! Most of the time Ruby doesnt mind, but I know those little puppy teeth hurt so she puts up with a lot of crap from Mila! Sometimes i am protecting Ruby from Mila!

Here are some sisterly photos I took in the past 2 days.

085dd7be610e11e3a2071281ee17c4f5_6.jpg

a1a9a1fc613e11e399cf1225396dfdfd_6.jpg

c59f70ca61d711e38c33124320eea8bc_6.jpg

Guest hankodie

Thanks all, he has grown so much hasn't he! Dory, Odie stands under Hank too and weaves in and out through his legs, it's hilarious watching him trip over himself trying to catch her :laugh:

Sares your frenchies are sooooo cute. Don't worry, Ruby will tell puppy when she's had enough and they'll work it out, Hank was the same when we brought him home!

Thanks all, he has grown so much hasn't he! Dory, Odie stands under Hank too and weaves in and out through his legs, it's hilarious watching him trip over himself trying to catch her :laugh:

Sares your frenchies are sooooo cute. Don't worry, Ruby will tell puppy when she's had enough and they'll work it out, Hank was the same when we brought him home!

thanks Hankodie! yes, they will work it out. I am impressed with Ruby's patience!

Cute little Frenchies :D I also love the upright ear! She will be looking like her big sister in no time!

I am having such a ball with Benji, he is growing so.... so fast, will be a real Dalmatian in no time at all! I expected a much harder time than I am having, Toilet Training is pretty much worked out to the point that he will take himself outside to toilet then bring himself back in!

Nothing is getting chewed or wrecked, he sticks to his own stuff.... sleeping from around 8pm til 7.30am. Just such a beautiful placid boy.

316w491.jpg

2aka1k5.jpg

Here he is today at 10.5 weeks :thumbsup:

Edited by littleduck

Ezio is settling in, he tries to act like a spoilt brat but is learning things don't go his way. It is difficult to train him to walk because he hates being in the sun too long and most times he walks for 5 seconds then flops onto the ground and just lays there - he gets hot too easy and even late afternoon is too warm for him. He is picking up the sit very well, I might start introducing a verbal soon for sit since he is responding well to the hand signal, his drop still needs a lure however, I think I might need to train him to follow my hands more.

He seems to prefer outside, probably because he gets to sleep on cold tiles compared to a slightly warm house so I have allowed him to sleep outside when he does now and then, it is good because he will only be allowed access to the laundry and yard when we go to work and then free roam when we get home (not for a long time, he won't be allowed out of his puppy pen inside until way past his chewing phase!) so he gets used to being alone for a little bit.

For walking just attach his leash to him and let him run around the house with it on. Don't hold it - then he will be use to it in no time at all! :)