A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

The horrible dogs are back this time for 6 weeks :( while the school holidays are on. They have put up a tarp where Treb's dog run is and it has made it super hot for him so I have let him have full use of the yard except the fence fighting is happening again. I can see this is going to be annoying.

--Lhok

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The horrible dogs are back this time for 6 weeks :( while the school holidays are on. They have put up a tarp where Treb's dog run is and it has made it super hot for him so I have let him have full use of the yard except the fence fighting is happening again. I can see this is going to be annoying.

--Lhok

Hmm... what if you put shade cloth on top of the tarp?

The tarp has been strung along the fence nailed in from their side so unfortunately I can't put shade cloth up. Hasn't stopped their dogs from trying to rip it off the fence to have a go at Treb through the fence either..

After 6 years of this happening every year we are sick of it. The lady could just board her dogs to save all the dramas if she doesn't want to train her dogs not to bark and to actually respond to commands..

--Lhok

We are the third day into our road trip holiday, first one for Willow, second for Dory. And it's already been pretty interesting.

Willow spent the first couple of hours throwing things at me whilst I was driving because she was bored. Dory spent it panting and sitting in the back seat with her chin on the window sill, this is standard for her. We drove 5 hours before our first stop (I just like to get where I'm going and the dogs were pretty good), and then when it was walk time it was...ummmm...something interesting. Willow did her best Pepe La Pew impersonation around the park, interspersed with some Spring Bok leaping antics...soooo many people...soooooo many people. She was a bit excited. :laugh:

The next half of the trip Dory managed to calm down and find a comfy spot draped across the console...she made a lovely armrest. And Willow boinged between the back seat and the front seat...ate her harness...tried to raid the esky...and napped. My car has a lovely big back seat...and where do they like to be? Yes. the front seat. It IS possible to squeeze two dogs into the front seat of the car.

Once at my parents place (who were surprisingly VERY accomodating to the dogs needs. As in...OMG...they are allowed free access inside the house :eek: ) And both seemed to like Willow, even though she was bit enthusiaistic AND tried to go swimming in my Dad's fishpond (his pride and joy)...we've had to do an impromptu mesh job on the pond...Willow REALLY likes the fishpond. :laugh:

Then my Mum tells me that two of my nephews and nieces are staying for a night...:scared: Willow hasn't had to spend a concerntrated amount of time with children...she reeeeeally likes kids, so I was a bit nervous. Turns out, I didn't have anything to worry about she has been excited, energetic and very involved but she's been respectful of space while the kids are running around and scootering...she thinks they are the super, bestest thing. We've had to crate her just so she'll actually stop and rest, otherwise she just keeps going and going and going and going. Running after the kids back and forth, tagging along behind them with everything they have been doing. The trouble starts when the kids want to sit still and watch TV, Willow wants to crawl on top of them and lick them to death. But the kids have been really good about getting her to stop without resorting to screaming, yelling or hitting. And Willow has gotten the hint...with odd bits of forgetting. :laugh:

So it's been a whirlwind of over stimulation for Willow, and more grey hairs for me. I hope she settles down to a routine soon. Every new thing is like... :happydance2: :happydance2: :happydance: :happydance::party: :party::whee: :whee: for Willow, I'm exhausted from it.

Guest hankodie

Aw Cleo and Nala look like great playmates! Love the last picture :D

Haha Dory I'm glad Willow has been doing well on your road trip! Sounds like she's having a blast :laugh:

Well it's been a little over a week that we've been letting Hank sleep out of his crate and he's been surprisingly great! No roaming at night, he just lies on his bed or on the floor next to my side and sleeps. He's a lot cooler as well and doesn't wake us up any more restlessly turning over in his crate so it's a win-win. One funny thing he's started doing though is waking me up when my alarm goes off :rofl: I use my phone as an alarm and the alarm sound usually starts off quite softly and then progressively gets louder. Well as soon as he starts hearing it softly tinkering away his head pops up and he gives me huge slobbery kisses and starts nuzzling my head :rofl: he only does this when he hears the alarm though, he's so quick that he never gives me a chance to hit the snooze button! :laugh: I must remember to turn it off now that it's the holidays!

Hank posing in the backyard:

dd19tu.jpg

I'll add to the photos, I already posted this in the Aussie thread but I like it :)

Nova is finally looking in proportion. I'll have to get someone to take a photo when I stack him because from my untrained eye I think he's looking good atm :)

1480700_10151908509655787_1514143120_n.jpg

awesome photos, man I really need to figure out how to get some good shots like you all, they look brilliant! Nala looks so pretty and Hank is growing to be very handsome, as is Nova. I love Nova's coat!

I expanded Ezio's puppy pen to have access to half the lounge, the hall and the laundry with the door to outside. He has been behaving really well so I thought this will give him a bit more freedom and start teaching him to use the cat/dog door for toilet training. So far everything is going well, he uses the door flawlessly and is behaving nicely. We have only had to tell him off twice for biting the couch and each time he stopped and went to chew something appropriate :) It is a hell of a lot more room than he had before.

Edited by Kanae

awesome photos, man I really need to figure out how to get some good shots like you all, they look brilliant! Nala looks so pretty and Hank is growing to be very handsome, as is Nova. I love Nova's coat!

I expanded Ezio's puppy pen to have access to half the lounge, the hall and the laundry with the door to outside. He has been behaving really well so I thought this will give him a bit more freedom and start teaching him to use the cat/dog door for toilet training. So far everything is going well, he uses the door flawlessly and is behaving nicely. We have only had to tell him off twice for biting the couch and each time he stopped and went to chew something appropriate :) It is a hell of a lot more room than he had before.

Thank you :) From what I've seen of his siblings he has a lot more coat than average.

Ezio sounds like a very lovely easy puppy!

Guest hankodie

Hank OMG love.gif He's got that beautiful retriever smile now! My lab looked so much like that as a pup, I want to cuddle him frown.gif

He's definitely got the goofy retriever grin down pat Lisa! You're welcome to a cuddle any time if you're up our way :laugh:

oh my goodness, Nova pretty much looks like a full grown adult in that photo. How time flies! His coat is beautiful, are you having trouble keeping him cool in this heat? Hank still won't touch the clam pool. Thought the hot weather today would entice him to play in it but alas, he was not interested :(

Would love to :)

Nova's only a month older than Hank! Still quite a bit of growing to do, he's still so skinny under all that hair!

It was above 40 for the last week. Nova has been inside almost all day asleep under the aircon. Even in the shade outside it was high 30s.

He's very calm inside now and because of the heat just sleeps about 20hrs a day. We do a nice walk in the early hours and then when we can a swim at the river.

I've also been wetting and freezing towels for him to lay on when I put him outside, plus I've been making some stinky sardine ice blocks! Plus he gets his pool and I put the sprinkler on for him sometimes in the evenings.

I saw a great idea the other day that might entice Hank into his pool. Just fill it full of ice!

We have had our first Christmas decoration casuality! It only took her three days to figure out stealing decorations was an attention getter. :laugh:

Everyday she gets up and goes looking for 'the kids', Willow is having so much fun. I just wish my Mum would stop giving her the odd caramel lolly. *sigh* I told Mum if I come across a sloppy poo in the yard that she was going to have to clean it up.

And we have discovered a new talent, she's pretty handy at helping one of my Nieces hone her Polo-cross skills. Cos if you lose the ball to Willow, it will take you a while to get it back. So best catch that ball. :laugh:

I also didn't realise just how naughty Willow was, all in the name of attention seeking. I knew she stole things to get reactions from people, but you can see her going from naughty thing, to naughty thing until someone yells, "OI!". Then she's all happy wags, and lap running around the yard with happiness. Runs back to give you the item or tease you..does a few more laps and then comes back for a cuddle. She's hilarious.

She's also done more alert barking here, then she ever did at home. I dont' think she's going to want to go home. :(

Laci looks lovely!

Willow sounds like a huge character :) Good to hear she is enjoying herself.

Omg Ezio somehow got into the bathroom and grabbed a pair of my undies, the cheeky mongrel thought it would be great to prance around the house with them! Thankfully we have taught "give" so retrieving them was easy, but not before he tried to run off with said undies first, I wouldn't play his chasey games so it ended quickly. :laugh: