A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha Luvsdogs that's why the night before I show I wash, dry and crate them until we leave in the morning! Especially since bathing seems to induce zoomies and Cleo's zoomie track around the house has quite a bit of dirt! Dallies are pretty wash and wear though, you can just wipe them clean again for a spot clean but i'm a bit crazy and like my dogs properly clean (Cleo and Nala have both had 2nd baths after running away before!)

How did she go in the show?

Guest hankodie

Awww lovely photos everyone! Hope you all had a great Christmas with your pups :thumbsup:

Here's Hank exploring the dock a couple of days ago, we took him with us for a dinner picnic:

30u7rwk.jpg

I've noticed Hank has started to get a little "humpy" with Odie and I'm wondering if it's time to get him desexed. It's not becoming a huge problem - he seems to do it when they are playing and he gets excited, I've just noticed it occurring more. Poor Odie is so good though, she just stands there and sighs grumpily and waits for me to come over and tell him off :laugh:

He's also going through another little funny fear period. He was terrified yesterday when we walked past some bushes and the wind suddenly picked up. He also started barking at a weird rock formation at the park :rofl:

And he is still absolutely terrified of the water :( I think I might need to get some help from my trainer on that one. I don't need him to love the water but I'd like him to be able to walk by bodies of water without being so scared!

I would find keeping a white dog clean a near impossible task. It must be so frustrating! I love a Rotties wash and wear-ness also. I wash a couple of days before a show and then a damp towel bath. If I was to wash the day before I get 'bath hair' or soft, fly away hair. Rotts are supposed to have a slightly coarse coat.

I hate posting on my iPad, so will keep it short and just wish you all Merry Christmas! Nixon had an absolute ball - apparently he's a gun present unwrapper, and was very spoiled! He also got an enormous bone which kept him occupied for many hours, if not days! Happy puppy :)

Hope you've all been enjoying the season with your lovely puppies! I'm looking forward to lots of beautiful puppy pics, and supportive advice/suggestions from everyone in the new year x

Merry Christmas everyone even though it is pretty much over.

Everyone's puppies are looking so grown up! We had a stressful Christmas between my sil not wanting to go near my dog and freaking out if he child did to the dogs next door barking all day causing Treb to stress out enough we had to take him to the vets for assessment he is fine now though chrissy day was pretty much ruined for everyone at our place.

--Lhok

hey 3/21 is an awesome effort. I was happy when Cleo got 2/3 lol!

She looks so proud of her prize :)

I'm wondering about the prizes...apparently my work will be donating/providing some prizes....do I still get to use a discount voucher if I already get a staff discount? :laugh:

Nala and Lacy are looking divine! What great little show dogs!

I'm still tossing up whether I should enter more next year. We only did the one baby puppy show, so I feel like we would be diving into the deep end with him currently 7 months.

I think Nova wanted to remind me that he is the only gift I need laugh.gif

He's also good at pretending he has no ears.

1483410_10151930657085787_778415394_n.jpg

We had a lovely Christmas! I couldn't leave the pups at home so we took them to mum and Gus maneuvered his first big flight of stairs. I wish I'd filmed it. He kinda slid/crawled down the first time, then he had it. Though midnight wee was interesting with my sister and her boyfriend on the couch together, they got a surprise flattie nose to all the crevices. Haha! That'll teach ya...

They spent more time outside than I would have liked, mainly due to baby/grandma/generally not enough room for them to do loony laps. But they were great. Hardly a peep, unless Brooke or I walked past the gate, then there was some piteous high pitched 'can I come?' barks from Gus and Rosie.

Needless to say they were also spoiled and excellent present unwrappers. Lots of tasty things to eat and the hilarity of Brooke, Gus, Rosie and I squashed into a tiny spare room will not long be forgotten. Nor will Gus waking me up every time the baby across the hall made a peep. I get it, dawg but that baby isn't ours...

11615462846_6c1b259363.jpg

11615408296_f32a85198b.jpg

11614820345_dea9145c9a.jpg

11615005093_f15ae0acfc.jpg

PS- on goofy retriever grins....a study...haha.

11506205406_6fac934737.jpg

11506069385_c2bf7af235.jpg

11506172093_beede027f8.jpg

OH one more thing-

We seem to be having a knob dog episode again.

Gus is 9 months so in full blown knob dog, most things are bearable. The destruction of beds and deafness aren't much of a problem. He has cheap bedding and will do anything for food, so I call that bluff...

One thing is driving me bananas though, we get in the car and as soon as we stop at the park he will start barking, it's like the excitement doesn't die off until we get back in the car after. It's not constant, just when something happens that doesn't involve him. He barks when I stop to talk to someone, when another dog is playing with Rosie...it's really annoying. I've had to get him a 'FRIENDLY' collar because almost 40kg of black dog barking in your face is pretty crap (he did this to one woman sitting down on a chair. I could have killed him. She jumped a mile. I was so apologetic!) mind you he's wagging his back end and grinning, it isn't aggressive, just attention seeking and jerk-dog-behaviour.

So basically when I stop to chat he sits and barks at me. I can redirect it briefly with asking him to sit or fetch something or growling at him, I don't let people look at him or engage with him when he's doing it and I always tell him off with a NO which works for a minute or so, he's never been one for a long attention span.

Sounds like a little thing but I don't like the idea of people being scared of him, even momentarily.

I should probably be leashing him and taking him home but it's not always practical with the two dogs and I don't generally have time for two separate walks and I don't want to punish Rosie because her brother is a dick.

My next step might be something like a citronella collar or something just for the park. I loathe the idea but it's a real pain in the ass habit and I'm out of ideas.

Oh we're so getting the snip early 2014... :laugh:

Edited by Steph M

Oh, damn would you mind sharing. I have a feeling barking might be an issue for us too.

This pup is even noisy in his sleep!

I didn't want to take up to much space but sure I'll just copy what I sent to Steph laugh.gif

I don't know if Gus is doing it for the same reason but for Nova it was a working dog mentality of "make me work", attention wasn't enough. It was always worse after training, because he wanted to keep going, he would still work all day if I let him.<

As silly as it sounds I had to teach him how to do nothing, this is all with help from our trainer. Main thing was to completely ignore him when he was barking. Removing him for time out was enough attention to make it keep going so if it continued everyone knew to walk out of the room and leave him there.

At training I just walk him far away, don't talk to him, don't look at him, just walk away while he's on lead, he has to follow. I don't let people even look at him down the street if he is carrying on. If he doesn't stop I excuse my self and walk him away. He soon learnt that barking and carrying on gets him no where.

I also always reward him for being calm, even if he is just laying around in the house, calm is good! He doesn't get to meet other people/dogs unless he is calm.

Oh and crate training is of course very very good for this! When he gets too hyped up at training he can go in his crate and doesn't bark at all. He relaxes in there.

Edited by LisaCC

So in this heat I've been wearing a light and cool boob tube style dress, like a sarong but holds itself up with elastic. I took Envy out the front to see what OH was doing - he was working in the yard. She pulled by dress down and exposed me to the street :dropjaw:

That's a naughty yet talented dog.

Edited by Lollipup