A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1388728481[/url]' post='6386333']

Yea, only here until Sunday, then I'll be back in Wagga.

They seemed quite good, said I might get a call from the ranger later on.

Poor Nova, Orange sucks for dog owners there are so many people that just don't care. When I first took Abbey out we had a bull breed run out at us, Abbey was only about 3 months old, it didn't attack luckily but I was very worried it would affect abbey. Owner comes out of their house since we screamed for someone to come get the dog ' its friendly its friendly' don't worry about him, that makes me so mad icon_smile_mad.gif

The Crocodile made me do it!

TseHVkc.jpg

He is great with his fluffy toys, but if it rips open, then he can't help but tear the guts out. Only when it rips does he do this!

-

Gorgeous photos yonjuro and dotdashdot. I have a nikon d5200 but I am still trying to figure it out, I am not camera savvy so playing about with it, at the moment I am having issues finding the right shutter speed and iso to take shots of Ezio. I was fooling about with 1/20 shutter with 300 dpi but the shots were still coming out blurry everytime he moved. Would love any tips :)

Edited by Kanae

The Crocodile made me do it!

He is great with his fluffy toys, but if it rips open, then he can't help but tear the guts out. Only when it rips does he do this!

-

Gorgeous photos yonjuro and dotdashdot. I have a nikon d5200 but I am still trying to figure it out, I am not camera savvy so playing about with it, at the moment I am having issues finding the right shutter speed and iso to take shots of Ezio. I was fooling about with 1/20 shutter with 300 dpi but the shots were still coming out blurry everytime he moved. Would love any tips :)

My girls are the same with fluffy toys, the minute they see a weakness they have to disembowel it.

I've got no tips re. cameras lol, my hubby knows a lot more than me, I mainly use Auto function but it is a Canon 5D mark III which takes awesome photos on auto.

Poor Nova, Orange sucks for dog owners there are so many people that just don't care. When I first took Abbey out we had a bull breed run out at us, Abbey was only about 3 months old, it didn't attack luckily but I was very worried it would affect abbey. Owner comes out of their house since we screamed for someone to come get the dog ' its friendly its friendly' don't worry about him, that makes me so mad icon_smile_mad.gif

I havne't heard anything from the Ranger and a neighbour told me the dog is still rushing at dogs through the fence. frown.gif

Whippy thats very exciting! Do you have any news about a pup?

Nova seems ok, I did find a tiny cut on his head, above his ear, but there was no blood or anything and it is healing nicely.

We've only come across a few dogs since the attack, all being border collies or crosses and he's still wanted to go play with them. I do wonder if he will react differently to similar breeds as the dog that attacked him, unfortunately I don't know anyone personally with one that I could introduce him to.

Dotdashdot Nala is looking GORGEOUS! Already so long legged and model looking! I did see her winning photo in the DogsNSW magazine toothumbsup1.gif

Kanae Ezio is adorable, cute little fluffer!

Nova turned 8 months this week, weighing a Hefty 24.3kgs. He's definitely going to be on the bigger size for Aussies.

Not my little fluffy boy anymore.

1477395_10151937471310787_1590579487_n.jpg

Nala spent her first real day out with the big kids today. My FIL opened the sliding door so she could come and go from the living room/puppy pen area to the outside as she pleased and apparently they went really well. She's sleeping well now!!

She was also playing the fussy card last night and this morning. I took it away and then gave it back after a few mins and she ate it. Hard part is teaching OH that i'm not being a mean person, she's trying to play us :laugh: . I will not create a fussy dog! We did get some Livamol today (ordered it before the fussiness started) to see how her coat goes with a bit of extra help and just that made her eat all her dinner in double time!! lol. I'm wondering if it will unify her colour, not that it's bad or anything (and there is no colour standard for liver dallies) but she's beautifully chocolate brown on the back of her ears and then a rich dark chocolate colour everywhere else.

She's also getting so many new spots!!! Very cute, every day I feel so blessed to have her in my life, I can't believe I, I of all people, scored this beautiful dog. She seems to good for me!!

1389253122[/url]' post='6391059']
1388896137[/url]' post='6387782']
1388728481[/url]' post='6386333']

I havne't heard anything from the Ranger and a neighbour told me the dog is still rushing at dogs through the fence. frown.gif

Whippy thats very exciting! Do you have any news about a pup?

Nova seems ok, I did find a tiny cut on his head, above his ear, but there was no blood or anything and it is healing nicely.

We've only come across a few dogs since the attack, all being border collies or crosses and he's still wanted to go play with them. I do wonder if he will react differently to similar breeds as the dog that attacked him, unfortunately I don't know anyone personally with one that I could introduce him to.

Dotdashdot Nala is looking GORGEOUS! Already so long legged and model looking! I did see her winning photo in the DogsNSW magazine toothumbsup1.gif

Kanae Ezio is adorable, cute little fluffer!

Nova turned 8 months this week, weighing a Hefty 24.3kgs. He's definitely going to be on the bigger size for Aussies.

Not my little fluffy boy anymore.

1477395_10151937471310787_1590579487_n.jpg

That doesn't surprise me, there was an article in the Central Western Daily about dog attacks and how orange is trying to become more pro active. Maybe you should email Neil jones councillor and let him know you didn't even hear from the ranger, I know my aunt was attacked also and never heard from them, it's very wrong. Hope the dog doesn't hurt another dogs.

Good to hear it did affect Nva, he is looking lovely by the way.

Some lovely pics guys. Nala is definitely a stunner! Will be interesting to see what the Livamol does for her. I get people commenting on Nixon's coat all the time, so it definitely makes a huge difference.

Nova is looking so grown up Lisa! His tan is super bright!

Nixon has been going really well. he's been spoiled rotten having us home for two weeks, and my husband has this week off too, as well as having house guests for a big part of that time too. He's thoroughly enjoyed having so much company, but I hope he doesn't struggle too much next week when we're all back at work. I'm hoping he'll be relieved, but we'll just have to wait and see...

Barking is still an issue, so if anyone has any tips, feel free to let me know. Being home a lot we've been able to offer corrections most times he barks, and we've been trying to establish a few more boundaries and rules etc. I think there has been some improvement.

In terms of motivation, he's definitely an attention barker. He barks at dogs getting walked past if he's in the front yard, but he doesn't bark at any of his friends, and he stops if people come over to say hello.

The other time he barks is to get our attention, if we put him outside while we're cleaning or something - it drives me nuts! I know ignoring is the way to go but he gets quite shrill, I have trouble letting it go on for too long.

Our other problem is leaving him at night... We went out for new years, and I took him to the park for a big run around first, then fed him, then gave him a massive bone, and apparently he was still racing around and barking a lot. Our neighbour went and grabbed him after about and hour and a half and he was quieter with her dog, but was still barking occasionally, and definitely wouldn't settle. We ended up coming home about 9.30...

All I can think of is to consider leaving him inside (which I'm nervous about, but he might well be ok) or to start going out at night for short periods of time, and gradually build it up? Any thoughts?

I'm going to email the lady we did his basic training with, and see what she suggests too.

Team Long Lost Twin strikes again! Lisa had a good post a few pages back as hey presto, captain shithead is doing the same thing! It's so hard because you can't very well ignore at times it as you instinctively would, it's just inappropriate and they look so smug doing it!/

We have had some success with giving him nothing, if he's barking and pulling to talk to another dog he does not get that. We leash him and go the other way and I don't talk to him, look at him or move. We go stand elsewhere and be a tree.

Of course that's all well and good when you're at a park or something but juat barking for fun in the yard is a whole other thing. I'm no help there!

I forgot to say as well, he is looking so so handsome!

Thanks Steph, yeah I read Lisa's tips with interest, but the situation is a little different, so I'm not quite sure how to alter it to fit...

For example, if the door to the yard is open, he will wander out happily and cruise around doing doggy things for hours on end. He'll come back inside to have a nap or a cuddle or something. As soon as the door is shut, with him outside, he will glue himself to it, and watch your every movement.... He will be quiet for 5-10mins, but when it's clear that you still plan on leaving him out there, and you're doing stuff that doesn't involve him (particularly sweeping the floor, when he hates the broom so much!), then he'll start giving these short sharp barks, like "hey, I'm pretty sure you've forgotten I'm here - why the hell have you shut the door?!!" I'll let it continue for a little while, or tell him to be quiet. When I eventually open the door it's entirely possible he'll be back outside a few minutes later just doing his own thing happily - as long as the door is open... argggh!

Having said that, he usually seems fine when he's put outside when we go to work. He gets kongs when I leave so he's usually giving me "hurry up and leave" looks in the mornings, like he can't wait for me to get out of there.

I probably lack a bit of consistency to be honest. I'll usually tell him off a couple of times, then ignore him a couple of times, then cave in (or finish sweeping) :)

I'm so conscious of him bothering our neighbours, even though they're all pretty understanding really.

No clear news yet Lisa. Hoping to meet some puppies up near you over the long weekend ( Up near Leeton) if we are lucky enough to be able to welcome a new family member from up there I will let you know as I would prob need to drive up to pick up the puppy :)

Hopefully Nova will be ok with smaller dogs but thats great that he was still happy to see other dogs.

No advice on the barking sorry ladies.

Speaking of the Livamol has anyone heard of wonderdog? I was in a horse store the other day and asked about Livamol and they suggested wonderdog

I was preparing lunch today when I caught Laci out the corner of my eye & thought, my you've got so tall & WT??? at the same time. :eek: When I looked at her properly she was standing on her hind legs on a small esky that was beside me, with a look on her face that said, "what you doin mum?" :laugh: