Red Dog Driving Kelpie Dumping

Jellyblush

There may be plenty of Kelpies and crosses in country pounds but it has always amazed me that so many basic dog shaped, medium sized, pricked eared, smooth coated dogs in city shelters have been dubbed Kelpie cross, despite the fact that I don't think I have ever seen a Kelpie running loose or being walked in suburbia. If there are no Kelpies then there are not going to be any

I know the shelter where I got my dog calls any bull breed a kelpie cross if they can get away with it, for easier adoption. Maybe this is why?

Kelpies and working breeds along with poor, bloody Staffs and Staff xs have always made up a large part of the population of the pounds we work with. I haven't see an increase in the numbers and its a while since I saw a red Kelpie anyway, most are black and tan (although we have just rehomed the most gorgeous blue boy).

Farmers will typically breed a litter to get a couple of working dogs and take the rest to the pound either as the remainder of the litter or as young dogs when they aren't working well.

A lot depends on the individual dog, some work really well in a suburban home as long as they get company and some entertainment. We never used to do Kelpies, but kind of got sucked into it, and I've found them generally to be really well balanced, agreeable dogs. Energetic but not hysterical and because they are so smart, they're actually easy to get along with because they pick up routines so quickly.

I think Kelpies are the one dog people are a bit cautious about taking unless they know the breed because they worry about their activity level.

Hah, his comment about how as long as you're the pack leader the dog will be ok ruined the story. People really need to stop saying that, showing a dog "who's boss" doesn't mean you don't need to provide stimulation and train them.

It started out well, but the punch line was "be the alpha". Stupid.

I can't believe any researcher for a program would use that dreadful man as a so-called expert. God inly knows the damage he has done in his long and totally inappropriate tenure.

As for the point about breeders taking responsibility: this assumes that all breeders, simply because they are producing a living and breathing product, have ethics.

Sadly, it doesn't necessarily follow. There are good, bad, and middling in all occupations.

Even those who are supposed to regulate and check are in this category.

The only answer is the continuous education of the public.

There may be plenty of Kelpies and crosses in country pounds but it has always amazed me that so many basic dog shaped, medium sized, pricked eared, smooth coated dogs in city shelters have been dubbed Kelpie cross, despite the fact that I don't think I have ever seen a Kelpie running loose or being walked in suburbia. If there are no Kelpies then there are not going to be any

I know the shelter where I got my dog calls any bull breed a kelpie cross if they can get away with it, for easier adoption. Maybe this is why?

Yep and anything that looks like it might possibly have a hint of Lab becomes a Lab cross because people are more likely to adopt them no matter what else is making up the rest of the DNA. The pounds will always choose a more popular breed description if they can get away with it.

I think Kelpies are the one dog people are a bit cautious about taking unless they know the breed because they worry about their activity level.

I agree. The thing is, Kelpies are like all breeds and it's very much on a dog by dog basis. Labradors are frequently seen as the perfect family dog, but some labs are very boisterous and drivey.

Hoover's littermates have different temperaments. He was the most chilled and laid back of the lot. He has litter mates who are much more drivey and weren't suitable for our home. I've seen show Kelpies who are way more laid back than Hoover who is a working line Kelpie, I've also seen laid back show Kelpies. I'd agree that as a breed, Kelpies tend to be capable of high levels of energy and stamina but it doesn't mean that every or even most Kelpies need to be on the go all the time. Every foster Kelpie/Kelpie mix we've had has been so different in terms of energy levels and temperament.

We actually see quite a lot of Kelpies and Kelpie mixes here in Canberra. Just in our suburb, we frequently see people walking one or two Kelpies around. We occasionally encounter them at the dog park. There are quite a few at obedience and a few at agility as well. I see more black and tans around. The NSW yard dog trials I've been to tend to mostly be black and tan dogs because most of the local breeders of good dogs tend to have black and tan lines.

Mongrels eventually end up as the basic shape of a Kelpie if you keep crossing enough breeds as it is nature's default dog shape but they may not actually have any Kelpie in them.

It's so true ... I find it very endearing that Kelpies are so quintessentially doggy - that natural selection unchecked seems to make a mutt end up looking like a Kelpie.

Edited by koalathebear

Mongrels eventually end up as the basic shape of a Kelpie if you keep crossing enough breeds as it is nature's default dog shape but they may not actually have any Kelpie in them.

It's so true ... I find it very endearing that Kelpies are so quintessentially doggy - that natural selection unchecked seems to make a mutt end up looking like a Kelpie.

That's because mother nature knows how dogs should look.

That's because mother nature knows how dogs should look.

LOL.

As for movies driving sales of all sorts of things, what about "product placement", eg having a character drinking coke, pepsi, whatever.

Advertising works and a movie about something cute and cuddly or clever or endearing is advertising writ large.

There are many over represented breeds in pounds and shelters (and a lot of crosses)

Hawkesbury ALWAYS have a Jack (or five! just ask Jill from JRT Rescue) Malts are always in, Staffy's and their crosses, Kelpies, Border Collies and Cattles and crosses.

These would probably be the most common. I have to say Staffy's, Jacks and Malts would be the most over represented (ie they are in in large numbers on a daily basis)

Grey's are often in as well, at times in large numbers which makes it difficult.

The difference between socio economic areas is astounding. Hawkesbury holds dogs from three council areas, each are very different socio economic areas.

I adore my Kelpie Bella, she is truly the light of my life!

There are many over represented breeds in pounds and shelters (and a lot of crosses)

Hawkesbury ALWAYS have a Jack (or five! just ask Jill from JRT Rescue) Malts are always in, Staffy's and their crosses, Kelpies, Border Collies and Cattles and crosses.

These would probably be the most common. I have to say Staffy's, Jacks and Malts would be the most over represented (ie they are in in large numbers on a daily basis)

Grey's are often in as well, at times in large numbers which makes it difficult.

The difference between socio economic areas is astounding. Hawkesbury holds dogs from three council areas, each are very different socio economic areas.

Again anything black/white is dubbed a BC and anything small and white is a Malt in pounds when in fact they may not have any of those breeds in them. The same with Jack crosses as that is the default shape of mixed small terriers. Cattle dogs and crosses have been abundant in pounds for over 30 years.

There may be lots of working type BCs in pounds but show bred ones are very rare and when they get a different coloured one they are called something else. A friend recently came across a lovely red/white BC in the pound and they had it down as a Golden Retriever.

There may be lots of working type BCs in pounds but show bred ones are very rare and when they get a different coloured one they are called something else. A friend recently came across a lovely red/white BC in the pound and they had it down as a Golden Retriever.

To be fair, dog colours are very confusing to the uninitiated :laugh: For instance, the colour that is 'red' in a border collie looks cream/yellow/gold/wheaten to someone else. The colour that is called 'red' in a Kelpie is liver in a dobermann (even though it is pretty much the same colour! :) Most people call my Hoover a coffee, brown or liver dog - very few people know that it is red. His 'tan' bits would be called gold or cream in another breed.

If Hoover went missing, I'd probably describe him as a brown and gold colour rather than red and tan and if I had a red and white border collie that went missing, I'd probably describe it as yellow/gold/wheaten to maximise my chances of geting it back.

There do seem to be a few colours that are consistent across breeds:

- black is always the same colour

- white is always the same colour

- blue is always the same colour

:D

Edited by koalathebear

When I first started in greyhound rescue a few of years ago there were a lot of greys, especially in BP and HP. Sometimes there would be half a dozen surrendered at a time. Don't seem to see that many anymore, I'm hoping that's a good thing. I hope trainers are contacting grey rescue directly...might be dreaming :(