Is This True?

Horsegal98

On another dog forum (don't want to name here in case it violates guidelines) a poster said that blue was now the most common SBT colour. I find this hard to believe, but I jumped on the puppy listing for the breed on here and at least every second listing had blues available. I would have assumed brindle from the amount of "staffys" of that colour that turn up in pounds. Any thoughts to the validity of this? Really blows the "wowza blue SBT worth $3500" notion out of the water.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another dog forum (don't want to name here in case it violates guidelines) a poster said that blue was now the most common SBT colour. I find this hard to believe, but I jumped on the puppy listing for the breed on here and at least every second listing had blues available. I would have assumed brindle from the amount of "staffys" of that colour that turn up in pounds. Any thoughts to the validity of this? Really blows the "wowza blue SBT worth $3500" notion out of the water.

Blue is quite possibly the number one colour bred in ANKC registered Staffords at the moment.

You cannot assume that brindle is the number one colour based on the "generic brindle pound mutt" , the "staffy's" that the pounds are full of, comprise of mostly mixed breeds, you don't see very many Staffords in pounds.

Colour fashions chop and change within breeds and is often influenced by popular sires. However for sadly for the SBT, some "breeders" that were in it for the money decided to put high prices on the "rare" blues and the idiot general public couldn't get enough of them, it encouraged more people with no idea to breed. For the most part they have been nothing but second rate dogs, in terms of type,structure and soundness.

For all the breeding of blue,a tiny handful have made it into the show ring.

Brace yourselves for the next "rare" colour, and it's bound to be liver or B & T

Edited by WreckitWhippet

While I agree that "blue" does look nice on a Stafford, I'd be leery of the possible health issues associated with deliberately breeding for that colour. The only way I'd ever think about a blue is if the majority of it's siblings were of the more standard colouring.

Blue staffies are as rare as rocks.

T.

More than 47% of the Stafford pups registered in Queensland last year were registered as blue or blue brindle so yes, they certainly aren't anything unusual. In the UK more than 57% were blue.

There's a huge difference between the dogs that turn up in pounds and are labelled as 'staffys' and actual ANKC registered Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

ETA: Kirislin - yes all blue Staffords are genetically brindle. Genetically there's no such thing as black in Staffords so there can be no such thing as blue - genetically they are all blue brindles.

Edited by Sandra777

I saw a man with the friendliest blue girl downtown the other night. Sully has been making tonnes of stafford friends lately.

But yes, the owner did mention the colour wasn't rare (though it was the first I've seen), and from what I've gathered from this forum the blue colour is potentially gene-linked with some hereditary issues?

Blue was the number one colour i would see in at work

i remember talking to a lady who was looking for a Blue. We had a great chat about it and the cost (was going to cost her $2000) and she walked out saying she was going to visit a local breeder and stay away from anyone with blue. I then turned to the next customer, asked what sort of dog they had.. and they said a Blue SBT! Thought i was going to get killed after my chat with the customer in front of him :laugh: he told me i didnt know what i was talking about.

I have a blue cat and love the colour, but i have only ever seen one Blue SBT that looks good and that was years and years ago.

Blues are definately the most common colour we see at the boarding kennel I work in. Red is my personal favourite staff colour. Blues are beautiful, but there is no way in hell I'd pay as much as what some people do for something which is no different to any other staffy (pet wise).

To me, the blues just look grey - I really don't get the fuss about them!

Same here! I just googled it and was kinda disappointed...

Now if it was something like this, I might understand:

blue-dog.jpg

or

57.jpg

Edited by minimax

Yep, agree they are probably the most popular colour these days..

Personally, I find the colour bland looking. I think I have seen maybe 2 or 3 that were a nice 'blue'..

Give me a brindle dog any day over a diluted colour.

Agree, I have only ever owned brindles, they are beautiful. :love: