Is This True?

Horsegal98

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "blue" owners are determined to make their money back. Not one of them will desex...even the ones with the genetic "issues". In fact, since theyre spending more on vets bills, they are more keen to breed. Be warned.

Yep, had a blue one in today. Worst example of an SBT I've seen in a while (long, swayed back, shoddy legs - surprisingly its skin was ok), bought from a BYB with owner intent on breeding. It was diagnosed with a heritable condition and they were advised not to breed it. The guy was spitting chips!!

I've mentioned before that I have a family member that breeds them and I saw their dogs for the first time in years recently and they are all bloody ugly! The male looks deformed with his huge head and shoulders. He is way oversized and the girls ( a blue and blue fawn) are a washed out looking colour and although closer to what a SBT should look like still don't look quite right. I try and change the subject when they talk about breeding as I have nothing nice to say to them about it.

The "blue" owners are determined to make their money back. Not one of them will desex...even the ones with the genetic "issues". In fact, since theyre spending more on vets bills, they are more keen to breed. Be warned.

This makes me mad and sad :mad Poor puppies :(

I really don't see what's so great about the blues...give me a red or a brindle anyday :D

No pieds?

You can't register a Stafford as pied in Australia so it's not going to be reflected in any stats the ANKC can produce.

I didn't know that..

Do they just call classify them as the most solid colour they are - or can't you show them at all?

No pieds?

You can't register a Stafford as pied in Australia so it's not going to be reflected in any stats the ANKC can produce.

I didn't know that..

Do they just call classify them as the most solid colour they are - or can't you show them at all?

I didn't know that either.

Guess you could register as black/red and white?

No pieds?

No white with red?

No white with black?

Tell 'em they're dreamin'

yeah, stupid, everyone still refers to the above as pieds

The change was made a couple of years ago.

All dogs previously registered as "pieds" are still pieds according to their ANKC registration papers.

Edited by EdmundH

No pieds?

I didn't know that..

Because the word pied doesn't appear in the standard it can't be used to register the dog - stupid but true....

Have one predominantly white dog with brindle patches registered as Brindle, white as his export pedigree stated brindle pied (allowed where he came from) and despite two attempts to get it corrected I can't get his ANKC papers changed to say White, Brindle.

His sister is more heavily marked but registered as white, brindle because I had wised up by the time she came and wrote a big long scree AND attached a photo when I registered her here :D

I'd have no idea how many pied dogs are registered as white or how many are registered as brindle or red (or blue)

I honestly don't think a lot of people are aware of the whole "blue issue" and not necessarily because they fall for the "rare" line, but because there isn't enough info out there.

When we decided to buy a Stafford we were intent on doing it right. We researched the breed, we read the breed standard and we chose a registered breeder with champion blood lines. We looked into potential health concerns and none of the info we found referenced blue being an issue. At the time I didn't know about these forums. Based on all the info we gathered and the fact we were going through a registered breeder (and of course the fact blue is included in the breed standard) we chose to get a blue Stafford, based purely on the fact the breeder made a really good impression and I had a friend years ago who had one and we thought he was a nice colour.

Only after discovering dol did I learn all the rest to do with blue staffords. And to be honest it almost made me embarrassed and ashamed to admit to people on here that our Stafford was blue. I love him to bits and I wouldn't trade him for anything but I wish I had have known before we got him, we certainly would not have made the choice we made.

There is such a wealth of knowledge on this forum that it is a real shame that it is not more widely known about by the general public.

What I don't understand s how almost all blue breeders claim thy have 'champion bloodlines'? Really? Exactly which of the parents or grandparents are champions? I notice that none on the dol puppy page have any titles at all, except of course the few that don't breed blue.

No pieds?

I didn't know that..

Because the word pied doesn't appear in the standard it can't be used to register the dog - stupid but true....

Have one predominantly white dog with brindle patches registered as Brindle, white as his export pedigree stated brindle pied (allowed where he came from) and despite two attempts to get it corrected I can't get his ANKC papers changed to say White, Brindle.

His sister is more heavily marked but registered as white, brindle because I had wised up by the time she came and wrote a big long scree AND attached a photo when I registered her here :D

I'd have no idea how many pied dogs are registered as white or how many are registered as brindle or red (or blue)

Thanks for that..

We had a papered boy before Ollie dog, Louis, who was what I considered pied but i'm sure his papers did say white now I think about it.

I think it is just sad the way that so many are breeding for colour.. With no or little consideration to temperament, conformation and health.

I don't really think a blue Stafford is ugly (to be honest, I don't think any Stafford is ugly), like most I just prefer another colour like dark brindle, the darker the better.

I seem to be drawn to the dark colour with lighter tan stripes... Lucky for me there are plenty of these around. So when I choose to get another purebred it won't be hard to find a good one.

What I don't understand s how almost all blue breeders claim thy have 'champion bloodlines'? Really? Exactly which of the parents or grandparents are champions? I notice that none on the dol puppy page have any titles at all, except of course the few that don't breed blue.

With mine it is grandparents. That said, he actually has more non blue ancestors than blue ones.

I don't have a problem with Blue Staffords, I think they look nice, although I'm a red or pied fan myself. I certainly don't think anyone needs to feel ashamed for getting one. It's more about the people breeding them focusing only on the colour, rather than on more important things, health, temp ect, that is the big issue IMO.

With mine it is grandparents. That said, he actually has more non blue ancestors than blue ones.

That would be a good thing that your dog has more non blue ancestors..

I think the biggest issues come from those breeding blue to blue - just to try to get blue pups with no regard for health, temperament and conformation.

*Snap Aussie - just said the same thing

Edited by Staffyluv

I like to think he gets his good looks from his non-blue side :p

After reading on here though and having a look at the majority of blue pups i realised that we got lucky. Marlo actually looks like a Stafford. A lot of the ones i've seen pictures of do have an almost deformed sort of look about the them so I can see why people get so concerned.

Here is a perfect example..

beautiful-babies.jpg

I just wanted to highlight that not all people who buy blue Staffords have no regard for the future of the breed or the issues that can arise, i think it is just a lack of knowledge. That said i have a friend who recently bought a female blue Stafford and the first thing he said to me was that they wanted to breed her with my dog to have a litter, so there are certainly some of both out there.. Needless to say my friend will be quite disappointed to learn that Marlo is booked in to be desexed next week :p