Newfie Wool

MacG

803529_10151324866918412_1616340378_n.jpg?oh=98d72096cebf7523b429db94c732f1ff&oe=512691E9&__gda__=1361511055_eda6ee80d327f7eb3a48c7f08a0a0d5d

This is the wool my Aunt made from one bag of Macgyver's hair. We normally get 2-3 bags full per brush- so I was simply amazed how much it made from just one bag!

My Nana is making a vest (white) with Macg's face knitted on the front, out of the dog hair wool.

My Aunt is so clever to have done this. TBH we thought she was loopy asking us for it- but it has worked a treat!

482456_10151315363133412_1071291327_n.jpg

I knew a Newfie exhibitor who had her dogs undercoat knitted into gloves and a scarf, it was so warm.

I know people who do it with Samoyed undercoat too. I keep meaning to send off the bags of undercoat I have sitting around and get some gloves for winter.

My sister has been saving bags of wool from her husky/GSD girl with a view to felting it but I am yet to see anything other than collecting the fur happening for the last 2 years! Crazy dog lady hair hoarder!

PS Macgyver is so cute!

Edited by Little Gifts

[

This is the wool my Aunt made from one bag of Macgyver's hair. We normally get 2-3 bags full per brush- so I was simply amazed how much it made from just one bag!

:eek::eek::eek: Seriously? How often do you do a brush? Can you tell I have non shedding dogs :o :laugh:

Seriously though that wool is awesome!

I would freeze to death if I relyed on a greyhound fur jumper :laugh:

Your boy is beautiful :love: look forward to seeing the end result.

We would need 5,000 greyhounds and it would take 6,000 years x

New industry-- repurpose ex racing greys for wool production. Certainly, you would get the right numbers of dogs. You just need a crazy investor and a massive farm/station.

Thanks everyone. I am still surprised how good it has turned out.

If we kept all his hair we could make enough wool to clothe Antarctic Travellers! So much hair hahahah

I will definitely post a pic of the vest once done. Fingers crossed it's cute ????

Plenty of poodle wool and it spins really well just need a tad more before we can make something more then a pot holder. :rofl: maybe we will start a new fashion craze, at least we don't need to kill our animals to get the animal product.

post-34794-0-00698300-1361368049_thumb.jpg

post-34794-0-83528900-1361368210_thumb.jpg

My Nana is making a vest (white) with Macg's face knitted on the front, out of the dog hair wool.

My Aunt is so clever to have done this. TBH we thought she was loopy asking us for it- but it has worked a treat!

WOW that's amazing! I admire people with that much patience ...

Looking forward to seeing the pics of completed vest :)

As I sit here reading and scratching like craazy, I have to ask: is it prickly against the skin? I nearly go nuts in woolly pullovers.

Can you pick your dog up and snuggle with it and not feel itchy and irritated? If you do then you have a dog hair allergy, with newfie & Poodle "wool" it is totally different and not irritating at all. many 'wool' jumpers have something else in them as well like wool+man made fibre which is what causes irritation. have you ever sat on a pure wool sheepskin which has the natural wool fat in the fibres, so soft and no prickly feel. :)

Sometimes I have to move my dogs if they are touching or lying on top of me, but I have a very itchy skin to the extent I take anti-histamines daily or I'll scratch to the point of bleeding :cry: .

Sheepskin has lanolin in it.

Oh, I've just remembered!! Some years ago, a woman around the corner showed me a scarf she'd bought knitted of dog's wool. I did find it a bit scratchy. It was white and I think the contributor (LOL) was a Samoyed.