Fox Rescue

Who would call the GR evil? And another who came home to find her cat dead courtesy of her dogs. Who would call them evil?

I couldn't look at my cat when he killed 6 day-old chickens. I'm not as fond of him as I was and I don't trust him at all. I despise the GSD who visits next door and killed one of my chooks. Its even easier to hate foxes.

Yes, I totally understand and would feel the same, but do you think your cat is evil or the GSD evil?

Judging by the horns sticking out from the sides of their heads they are!

Don't get you :confused::confused:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reminds me of this little article here from a few years ago. Exotics are in Australia like it or not. They just need to be scrupulously managed.

Don't make pet exotics suffer because people are too scared to take them to the vet for help. A bit like the BSL people have mentioned. Pets are pets, ferals are ferals. Restricted breeds and wild animals are being kept in the community and there isn't much anyone can do about it except make sure they are well cared for and tightly controlled. Banning things drives them underground.

I'm hoping I'm missing something but did you just compare restricted breeds to wild animals and say they need to be 'tightly controlled' like wild animals do?

LOL, no you're reading too much into it and I did mix the metaphor. I mean BSL has been mentioned here already and just like restricted breeds it would be awful if people own a pet they are afraid for others to see, or in particular afraid to take to the vet (as I gather in VIC they were calling for vets to report pit bulls presented to them for treatment :( ). Victoria has not only outlawed foxes as pets but also pit bulls? Thats my only comparison here.

'Tightly controlled' refers to the fact that people can and do own exotic pets, and that IMHO acknowledging them with permits gives the owners the ability to keep them without being criminals, and is more helpful for the animals themselves. They are already here, in people's homes. Doesn't mean I want one or want new species imported or want to rescue one or agree with breeding them for a pet market- i.e. the squirrels mentioned in the article link. I want all pets to have access to healthcare and expertise not be hidden away by bans.

Cool, I thought I must have been missing something surely and makes much more sense to me now. :)

A bit off topic but just remembered....friend said to me the other day that she could never own an animal, we were talking specifically about dogs, that had killed another animal.

She has cats!!! :laugh:

If you don't want an animal that might kill things don't get a cat! Hating a cat for doing what comes naturally is illogical.

It was an attempt at humour.....

Well, no wonder I was confused :D :D

A bit off topic but just remembered....friend said to me the other day that she could never own an animal, we were talking specifically about dogs, that had killed another animal.

She has cats!!! :laugh:

If you don't want an animal that might kill things don't get a cat! Hating a cat for doing what comes naturally is illogical.

I agree. It is illogical, but sometimes these things happen despite all efforts to the contrary.

The lack of logic with regards to foxes doing what they have evolved to do is what I have been trying to point out :shrug:.

Yep that is how I feel.

Logically I can see that foxes have been domesticated at times and made good pets. Emotionally I can't stand the little bastards.

Logically I know that the GSD's actions are the fault of its owners. Emotionally I hate it because it killed my chook.

Logically I know that the cat was doing what he was bred to do. Emotionally it took me days to get past having to pick up tiny baby chicken body pieces, comforting my daughter who found them in the middle of the night and to not wanting to get rid of the cat. Emotionally I no longer feel the same way about the cat. I'm not cruel to it but I'm not as fond of it as I was before.

I will also state that I have a breed that is PERFECTLY safe with my chooks even when "given them on a plate". I have put a Fauve into a crate to feed it a chicken carcass not realising that a chook had put itself to bed in that crate - the Fauve didn't touch the live chook even though it was right in its face. Another time whilst I was out one of my Fauves opened the unlocked sliding door (friends had checked in on the dogs for me as we were out for a long time that day). She then jumped in to my baby bantam chook run and couldn't work out how to get out. I found out that she must have been in there barking for hours - she didn't touch a single chook. There are DEFINITELY dogs who can be trusted around free-ranging chooks completely unsupervised. If that wasn't the case very few farmers would own chooks or dogs.

I'm not saying there's a blanket "no" to all dogs existing with chickens but I think that dogs that will kill chickens are in the majority rather than the minority.

It is to be expected and guarded against - I like chickens and would rather they are not ripped to shreds by anything, dog fox etc BUT if you put the two together, you cannot realistically expect it all to be OK and punish the dog when it isn't. I've taken surrendered dogs - Italian Greyhounds included - who have had a beating for killing a chicken or other loose bird. It's very wrong in my opinion.

My Aussie caught a pigeon mid flight and killed it when she was 4 months old. Didn't change my opinion of her,she's a dog, if I was a dog I'd probably eat birds too.

My issue is with them killing MY things :laugh: . For me it is very emotionally based - I don't like other animals (even my own) killing my pets. I feel differently about them if they do. I don't think I'm unique - I have a number of friends who have had one dog kill another and they have felt differently about that dog too, even if only for a number of months.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this may be of interest here. I remember a story a while ago where another baby was attacked by a fox inside the house. Also in England.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style/family-entertainment/fox-drags-newborn-from-cot-and-bites-off-finger-20130211-2e7b7.html

Fox drags newborn from cot and bites off finger

DateFebruary 11, 2013 (0)

"They may appear cuddly and romantic but foxes are also a pest and a menace, particularly in our cities" ... London Mayor, Boris Johnson

British police are investigating a fox attack on a one-month-old baby boy which left his hand seriously injured.

The animal tore the infant's finger off after dragging him from his cot after entering his bedroom in Bromley, southeast London, according to reports.

"We were called at 1638 on Wednesday 6 February by staff at St Thomas' Hospital to reports a baby boy who had been admitted to hospital after being attacked by a fox," a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

"Police attended to find a four-week-old baby with a hand injury.

Advertisement "The baby was admitted to hospital after the attack at its home address in Bromley.

"Inquiries continue."

The child's mother was alerted by the child's screams and rushed into his room to see his hand lodged "halfway down the animal's throat", the Mail on Sunday said.

Surgeons were able to reattach the baby's finger and he was said to be recovering well.

An RSPCA spokeswoman said fear was the only reason a fox would attack.

"It's extremely unusual for foxes to attack young children or anyone," she said.

"It's not typical fox behaviour at all. Foxes will come closer to a house if there are food sources. Then they can become quite bold, but they usually do back off and run away when there's people around."

London Mayor Boris Johnson said more must be done to tackle the growing problem of urban foxes.

"They may appear cuddly and romantic but foxes are also a pest and a menace, particularly in our cities," he told BBC News.

"This must serve as a wake-up call to London's borough leaders, who are responsible for pest control.

"They must come together, study the data, try to understand why this is becoming such a problem and act quickly to sort it out."

Johnson added that his thoughts were "with the baby boy and his family".

Here in our town the mongrels come in and sit on the pub doorstep to sunbake. The only thing they are frightened of is Maremma.

During lambing season for every lamb standing in the morning there is a dead one beside it on our neighbours properties - we have never lost a lamb since the day we bought the dogs in 20 years ago.

The Maremma dont kill them they deter them.

I still have no idea why there aren't more sheep farms with mareemas, they are proven to work there have been studies to that effect. Do you know why your neighbours haven't got any yet Steve? Seems to be it would be the logical choice to protect sheep.

ETA and chooks too I used to live near a free range farm that had a couple of mareemas looking after the chooks.

Edited by WoofnHoof

I think there are a lot of prejudices and false preconception out there. I have bought geese from a local free range egg farm and they said the dogs will bond to the individual chickens and will not guard new birds when they have to replace the laying flock. They genuinely believe this and that is why they will not try them despite having huge problems with foxes and birds of prey.

That's interesting I've never heard that one before! I know one hobby sheep breeder he has one but he's not very impressed by it but he got it as an older dog and it wasn't from a proper breeder so probably like anything the dodgy ones have ruined it for the better breeders. :(

• 2 weeks later...