Vaccinations For Older Dogs

PeiPei

Wow I hope evyone with un titre tested dogs/ un vaccinated dogs keep them away from anywhere that dog disease might be. There is actually a 3 year vaccine now which as I said my old dog actually handled better than the old annual one. Except the vet said that kennel cough was still yearly.

And you dont want an old dog getting kennel cough (which can be picked up anywhere). Like I said IF you trust your vet talk to them about your concerns. If you dont trust your vet find another that you do trust.

As some mentioned if you dont want to vaccinate get the dog titred tested each year but dont just go - 'oh its fine the dog was vaccinated years ago and they actaully last longer than the vet says cos I read it on the internet'.

Im also just waiting for the younger dog to have his second tetanus injection to start his jabs with that. Many wouldnt worry about that either but mine go around horses occasionally (but even without horses the vet mentioned how even dogs in backyards can just get a cut and be infected so easily - not often but if your dog is the unlucky one their either live because thousands are spent on intensive care and the dog gets lucky or they die a horrible death when a simple vaccination can be proactive in trying to lessen the risk as much as possible).

My dogs are exposed naturally to the diseases we vaccinate against because they are out regularly and because of my work.

There are actually studies showing that C3 actually covers 7yrs on a challenge test and the methods have been peer reviewed. A little different to "I read it on the internet", but you do need to do your own research because there are vets out there that haven't kept up to date with the latest vaccination schedules. Also if you look at my link on the first page it shows that the AVA has recommended triennial vaccination for the C3 even if you have the one that is marketed as yearly because the challenge tests prove they do give greater than 1yr of coverage. I guess my point is that tetnus for humans is now every 10yrs, but that is much longer than the initial recommendations due to further studies and research. The same is happening with canine medicine.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get all my dogs (almost 12, 9, 7 and almost 2) done. Though I am considering not getting the older three done again.

My young boy I would like to not vaccinate, but I do agility, obedience and flyball, and the clubs all require current vaccinations. :( I would like to be able to titre test, but I'm pretty sure none of the clubs will except it.

Sorry to go off topic, but for the 'performance dog people' if you don't vaccinate how do you go about training/ competing?

On getting KC, my boy has had it, even though he was vaccinated. I suppose it's akin to the flu shot, it does some strains but not all.

I get all my dogs (almost 12, 9, 7 and almost 2) done. Though I am considering not getting the older three done again.

My young boy I would like to not vaccinate, but I do agility, obedience and flyball, and the clubs all require current vaccinations. :( I would like to be able to titre test, but I'm pretty sure none of the clubs will except it.

Sorry to go off topic, but for the 'performance dog people' if you don't vaccinate how do you go about training/ competing?

On getting KC, my boy has had it, even though he was vaccinated. I suppose it's akin to the flu shot, it does some strains but not all.

My vet is happy to sign that my dogs do not require vaccination, and I do have a copy of their titre tests. So far that has been acceptable to all the clubs I attend- agility, flyball and obedience. I am also more than happy to present them with the relevant scientific papers if they want to question the veterinary certificate.

I don't want to write it all down here as I just put it in the Labrador thread, but today Sam (11) has been recommended to stop his vaccinations completely by our trusted vet due to old medical issues coming back. He said the risks are too high with his age this time in regards to his immune system.

I don't vaccinate AND I don't titre test.

My dogs were exposed to various viruses when I ran my rescue. I didn't vaccinate them then either. I believe their resistance was improved further through exposure.

They did however come down with light cases of KC. Boofy on two occasions and Monte once. They coughed for a few days and that was all.

I don't kennel them, I find house sitters who can look after them. I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to kennel them. There is no way I will vaccinate them. The boys are 10 and 11 years respectively and Olivia is 8.5 years.

Edited by ~Anne~

I have been doing mine 2 yearly except the 17 year old. I think if you want them to visit nursing home residents (my mum) you have to have them done annually - like kennels :(

I don't understand that, do many old people get parvo? :D

I don't vaccinate AND I don't titre test.

My dogs were exposed to various viruses when I ran my rescue. I didn't vaccinate them then either. I believe their resistance was improved further through exposure.

They did however come down with light cases of KC. Boofy on two occasions and Monte once. They coughed for a few days and that was all.

I don't kennel them, I find house sitters who can look after them. I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to kennel them. There is no way I will vaccinate them. The boys are 10 and 11 years respectively and Olivia is 8.5 years.

I have been given advice by a vet well read (and published) on zoonotic diseases in animals and humans, that the bolded part of Anne's post is very true. Regular small exposures are beneficial to dogs' immune systems.

The same vet has advised that my 13 year old girl, who hasn't been vaccinated for over 7 years, should have a booster C5 or at the very least a C3 just to be extra sure her immunities stay at a good level - she is healthy in every other respect and has never had a reaction to vaccinations in the past. My other dogs don't need vaccinating, but my pup will get her first adult booster C3 when she's about 15 months old.

It may be worth noting that my 13 year old dog actually ATE Parvo poop about 8 years ago (long before I was ever involved with rescue) and never even had a symptom of the disease manifest - she was however kept at home for an extended quarantine period so that she couldn't share any of the disease in public... some adult dogs can have the disease and not have any symptoms. She was vaccinated last back then.

T.

Whats the procedure for titre testing? Is it sent away? I heard it is about the same price as the vaccs?

I would really rather not do any of mine, 5,7 and 13 , the kennels use my vets too, and last time she was happy with a letter from my vet to say they were still covered.

I may ask wether she would except a titre test.

KC vaccs dont cover all the strains anyway.

Wow I hope evyone with un titre tested dogs/ un vaccinated dogs keep them away from anywhere that dog disease might be.

I haven't read anyone in the thread say they don't vaccinate their dogs. All my dogs have been vaccinated. I just don't do it yearly and don't continue to vaccinate past a certain age

When the AVA recommends three yearly vaccination it's not just something you've read on the Internet.

KC is something best explained by the vet but there are bacterial and viral parts to it - bit like when you get a flu virus it can develop into pneumonia or sinus which does get treated with antibiotics. Some people with colds and flu are fine after a few days some people can take weeks to get over it due to teh secondary issues. I did look it up and ask the vet about it last year when we got our rescue dog - most dogs just are a bit depressed and have the cough for a while but others suffer a lot worse.

And its true many dogs will have built up an immunity through exposure to the diseases but no one wants theirdog to be the one that succumbs to one of the diseases due to being unlucky. Obviously IF the vet recommends not vaccinating a dog due to medical issues present or past that like people who cannot have human vaccinations due to allergy to eggs (back when we were young if anyoen had an egg allery they would not have vaccinations as apparently it was grown in something to do with eggs) that a completely different story to reading stuff about them being 'poison' on the internet.

Things like antibiotics kill off bacteria to cure you of an infection you could call them poison if you were so inclined but vaccines stimulate the bodys defences into thinking they need to make antibodies to fight the disease so that it will already know what to do if exposed to the live virus. As in humans they need boosters over time and the 3 yearly booster that is now preferred by many is obviously evidence of the the various studies mentioned online.

And tetanus for people is no longer every 10 years its 'see your doctor' in regard to your circumstances. I daresay if you are near horses its more common to have boosters than someone who isnt as likely to be exposed.

Wow I hope evyone with un titre tested dogs/ un vaccinated dogs keep them away from anywhere that dog disease might be.

I haven't read anyone in the thread say they don't vaccinate their dogs. All my dogs have been vaccinated. I just don't do it yearly and don't continue to vaccinate past a certain age

When the AVA recommends three yearly vaccination it's not just something you've read on the Internet.

This.

Vaccinating for KC IMO is pointless. When I vaccinated yearly both dogs got KC. Since I stopped neither has had it.

Aussie mine were the same, I'd vacc for KC and then they would get it. If I didn't vacc they didn't get it.

My 9.5 year olds won't be vaccinated again. They had the 3 year one last year and that will be plenty for them. My 6 year old had the 3 year one last year and I will re asses when it comes time for his booster.

Years ago my vet told me when my dogs reached 8 not to bother vaccinating as they were no longer going to shows etc. This was when we routinely vaccinated every year.

Now days I, like many others seem to, I only use a C3 for my puppies and have not done them after the 15 month booster.

Years ago my vet told me when my dogs reached 8 not to bother vaccinating as they were no longer going to shows etc. This was when we routinely vaccinated every year.

Now days I, like many others seem to, I only use a C3 for my puppies and have not done them after the 15 month booster.

Ive just been through this morning with our puppy. She was due for her C5 (shes already had her 1st C3) but for now we decided on C3 again with her needing a booster in a months time. Of course the vets did recommend C5. Im not sure now tho if i will be allowed to do puppy school tho. We will reassess the situation if need be. As i wrote earlier I will not be vaccinating our almost 11 year old Cav again because of her health problems at her age.

Ive heard of someone had their dog vaccinated against kennel cough and still got it badly :(

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I took Simi to puppy school and she has only ever had a C3 so you should be right.

oh i hope so, thanks for letting me know, i'm going do some asking around next week :)

did you take Simi a couple weeks after the second lot or or the 3rd booster one?

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

KC is something best explained by the vet but there are bacterial and viral parts to it - bit like when you get a flu virus it can develop into pneumonia or sinus which does get treated with antibiotics. Some people with colds and flu are fine after a few days some people can take weeks to get over it due to teh secondary issues. I did look it up and ask the vet about it last year when we got our rescue dog - most dogs just are a bit depressed and have the cough for a while but others suffer a lot worse.

And its true many dogs will have built up an immunity through exposure to the diseases but no one wants theirdog to be the one that succumbs to one of the diseases due to being unlucky. Obviously IF the vet recommends not vaccinating a dog due to medical issues present or past that like people who cannot have human vaccinations due to allergy to eggs (back when we were young if anyoen had an egg allery they would not have vaccinations as apparently it was grown in something to do with eggs) that a completely different story to reading stuff about them being 'poison' on the internet.

Things like antibiotics kill off bacteria to cure you of an infection you could call them poison if you were so inclined but vaccines stimulate the bodys defences into thinking they need to make antibodies to fight the disease so that it will already know what to do if exposed to the live virus. As in humans they need boosters over time and the 3 yearly booster that is now preferred by many is obviously evidence of the the various studies mentioned online.

And tetanus for people is no longer every 10 years its 'see your doctor' in regard to your circumstances. I daresay if you are near horses its more common to have boosters than someone who isnt as likely to be exposed.

Vaccinations for KC are next to useless. For years I had my dogs boosted every year. Then I had a couple of dogs from breeders who didn't vaccinate for KC, we had KC go through our kennels and the one's that were vaccinate were the sickest of all. The unvaccinated dogs barely managed a cough and the second time it was only the vaccinated dogs that were affected.

Consequently I no longer vaccinate for KC at all. The dogs are exposed to others at shows, the leash free, the vet clinic etc and being fit and healthy it's just a waste of time and money to pump a vaccine into a dog, that in all likelyhood, has developed natural immunity.

A vacc of c3 at 8 weeks plus , then another 4 weeks after the intital and a booster 12 months after that, is all that is required.