I Have A Confession To Make.....

I was happy washing Dieter twice a year to help blow his coat and with quick washes if he went swimming.

Once I started grooming I'm know what a clean coat feels like I tend to wash him monthly. He was washed about a week ago and 3 days after I could feel he was grubby - we don't have much lawn at the moment so he eats his bones on patch lawn and dirt, we also had renovations going on so there was a lot of dust - I had to wipe down my cats with sponges (one is too sick to put through the stress of a quick bath).

If he doesn't have a bath he doesn't smell, but I tend not to like hugging and petting a dirty dog - I wash my hands enough as it is!

I think there are varying degrees to when owners think their dog needs a bath

Guest LittlePixie

Tilly gets bathed every few weeks to a month.

She loves to help Mum with the gardening, and eat slugs then spit them into her beard, and snuffle around in the dirt, and develop fauna collections in her facial hair.

That's all fine, she enjoys doggy stuff, but we can't have her in the house like that :) so she gets a bath before she comes in... and as she SLEEPS inside, she gets washed pretty much straight away after any of that yukky dog behaviour :) .... which is of course on a fairly regular basis :)

The Vizslas mainly wash themselves by swimming. If showing I wash. Otherwise they don't really need it, unless they rolled in something disgusting. Even then most of that comes off by itself, unless it's greasy. Kelpie (6 months old now) hasn't needed a wash yet. They all get toenail trims and ear checks and cleans and that's mostly it.

Edited by sidoney

Tatum is 10 months old and never had a proper bath. Her coat is beautiful (long coat GSD), no smell and she sleps on my bed most nights at the head! Piper and Emma would have been bathed sometime at the height of summer. Emma is the only dog I have ever owned who has a doggy odour. She has it all the time including straight after her bath LOL

If i dont do the complete wash...I always wipe over with wet towels rinsed in Vevet baby soap ....mouth folds and paws after bones, particularly lamb bones....grow some skanky germs in warmer weather and mine have bones every night so have face and hands washed.

Found its a simple preventative to skin probs....altho I do like the full tub...doesnt happen as often as I would like. :laugh:

Edited by RnB

Guest cloverfdch
I only bath mine occasionaly. I too live on a property but if they roll in something gross, well.........off to the dam for a big swim

:laugh: Same here, but we swim them at the park. I only bath my kids when they roll in something smelly. Up until a couple of weeks ago Elvis (BC) had not had a bath in over 6 months.

Abbey hasn't had a bath in over 6 months (probably much more :( ). Labs don't need too many baths. Apparently too often is not very good for the oils in their coat. She doesn't smell which is a bonus. On another site that I am a member of, most of the members swear by baby wipes for a quick wipe down with something gentle yet nice smelling. ;)