Crufts To Feature Crossbreeds For First Time

silentchild

Moggy and crossbred cats have been shown at cat shows for years. They are judged on health, coat condition, temperament, etc. But of course the 'pretty' ones always win. They must be desexed too. Its great for moggy owners, however certain breeders have also been deliberately crossbreeding their purebred cats to create Group 4 winners... I guess that would be my concern with the dogs too.

A friend of mine entered her moggie in a cat show here ... but I got the impression that section was just for fun & wasn't taken all that seriously.

I don't get what Crufts is trying to achieve. I have no problem with doggie competitions for mongrels, but based on things like health and behavioural traits relating to being companion dogs or working dogs, in some way.

But it puzzles me, how something like that would fit in with Crufts' aims.

I'd say the dogs would have to be 'genuine' mongrels, not designer produced dogs from purebreds. But how on earth could you prove that a dog is a genuine mongrel when documenting, reliable papers just don't exist and apply for them?

Without such proof, the way is wide open for the awful practice of crossing purebreds, to find a way in. Against all that Crufts stands for.

ADDED: WH's comment about the futility (stupidity!) of appeasement ... is spot on.

Edited by mita

Crossbreeds are more likely to escape the exaggerated physical features or inherited diseases plaguing some pedigree animals.

yeahh right

But I thought a part of breeding was to try and better each breed of dog -- which includes trying to kill off genes linked to poor form and health. :confused:

Crossbreeds are more likely to escape the exaggerated physical features or inherited diseases plaguing some pedigree animals.

What a pearl of wisdom - I don't think. I know someone who had a crossbreed that had an overshot bite and hip dysplasia. I wonder how they figure crossbreeds don't inherit problems just like purebreds do.

Edited by Scales of Justice