Price Of Puppies

MonElite

I always say that if someone gives me an indication that what I charge for puppies is expensive, or that when they hear the price and know the number of the puppies in the litter, say "wow thats a lot of money for you", Id slap them.

But Ive been thinking (after my Furia gave birth to a lovely litter at 12 pups) that I might bring the price down by outsourcing some of the functions of dog breeding.

What I was willing to outsource yesterday was

1. sucking the birth waters out of the dead pups lungs, gaging and spitting it out, whilst trying to revive ones born dead

2. same as above except spitting it through a car window (very un-lady like) on the way to the vets, while she gave birth to one in the car.

3. the dogs yelp and cry when she was in biggest pain contracting a breach puppy with no sack, the look in her eyes and my heart breaking that Im responsible for that

4. two consecutive sleepless days and night, when I crouched in the whelping box to the point I could no longer feel my knees nor my back.

5 the heartbrake after my inablity of bringing the puppy back to life, born dead as it was in the birth canal for to long, breach, no sack and I couldnt physically pull it out. I gave the puppy CPR for 10 minutes, while trying to get the bitch away from the puppy.

6. the look on her face when she followed me to the bin with the dead puppy.

7. She has 9 tits and 12 puppies. No puppy is interested in a milk replacement from the bottle.

8 someones telling me how negative I am when I say to them that I will not sell them a male dog (they dont want to desex it) and have 5 working entire males on their acerage with no fencing.

So yeah, whoever you are next going WOW at the price of my puppies, stick it. Or suck on some birth waters and than we talk about me giving you a discount.

Rant over - I think I need to sleep ;-)

Edited by MonElite

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel for you. I don't breed but the purchase price doesn't matter to me. A dog is priceless! I'm looking to buy a pup that will be the most expensive purchase price for me yet but I would never question it. You get what you pay for!

It really annoys me when people don't understand what goes into proper breeding and why well bred dogs are more than BYBs advertised in the paper. They think this is the easy cheap option but if they can't afford to pay for a dog then they can't afford the ongoing expenses of owning one. :mad

Chester was $900 to buy and cost us around $5000 in vet bills in the first 18 months. Purchase price is a distant memory!

I groom from home so I get lots of people coming and going and without fail there is always someone who comments about how much money I could make by breeding Simi. I smile and tell them how much it costs to have her hip and elbow scored and then the stud fee and the good quality (ie expensive) food they are fed, the time I spend with all my dogs and how much I miss out on social activities because the dogs come first. Then what a c-section could cost, time off work and after all that the possibility that we end ep with no pups.

I should save my breath however because their dogs breed for free with old mates dog down the road and it costs nothing! They also ask what I would have done with Simi if we got bad results on hip scores. When I said she would've been desexed and be our much loved pet for the rest of her life they look at me like I'm nuts.

People also ask why I had Acheron neutered, because 'he would make beautiful puppies'. Well, he is on limited registration for starters, he lacks confidence with other dogs which has resulted in DA and is just not everything a Dobermann should be and as much as I love him I wouldn't want to pass that on to puppies.

Anyone who makes a smart remark about the cost if one if Simi's pups is immediately not on the list as a potential puppy buyer. If they had done any research at all they would know what to expect price wise.

Oh MonElite I'm sorry you and your girl had such a time. It's truly something that can be hard to convey to people that haven't been there and done it. I do hope you get some decent sleep over the next two weeks.

My last litter was 12 too - just over 18 months ago. I'm not recovered enough to go again just yet!!! :laugh:

Edited by Alyosha

Rant away. People are idiots, if they don't like it they don't deserve on of your beautiful babies and that's that. In the mean time, I see a wake of people crawling into fetal position after a brisk conversation over price with you Mon :rofl:

I don't know what to say other than the Diva's puppies will be 3 weeks old on Sunday, born by Caesarean, lost one puppy after 4 days, don't know why as it was not fading puppy syndrome.

I would like the puppy buyers, to go without the sleep that I have gone without since the puppies were born. Understand, I drove to Melbourne and back for a "play date" for my girl. Understand that I lose pay being at home with my puppies, spend a lot of money on my puppies having the best food, environment etc that I can provide.

I now don't bother to justify my price, if the potential buyer doesn't want to pay my price, I will hold on to the puppy until the person that can provide him or her with the standard of care I wish provided for my puppy.

To all responsible dog breeders: I think these posts are really good at educating puppy buyers, including me. As a non-breeder, I have no idea what you go through and now can fully appreciate everything you do. So from a future puppy buyer, thanks. :)

Edited by poochmad

Well done Mon Elite. Sounds better than some and worse than some whelpings. At least she is a great mum.

Don't forget you will soon have the weaning, cleaning, and bedding changes, followed by expeditions outside and to other interesting places where you will have to supervise. And squirting the wormer into 12 unwilling little throats.....after weighing them, and that's not a cake walk.

Then piling 12 into crates for a visit to the vet for vaccinations and microchipping. AbouT $800 - $900.

Done well so far, good luck with whats to come!! :)

Thanks everyone. That was/isn't all. It's just part of one day. I'm very lucky that I had someone teach me how to pull puppies out, how to revive them and whim u can all any time and they will lead me through what to do or not to do.

I've used that "phone a friend" helpline a lot, and still do.

I'm lucky that I've only lost one puppy and didn't have to do a ceserean.

That I have a great vet friend, great partner and a fantastic bitch.

It's only day 2. They are doing well. And I had 4 hours sleep straight! Woohoo!

A genuine buyer won't question the price. We just paid a fair bit for our new puppy. Money wasn't even discussed for ages!. We had a good idea in our heads what price range she would be.. so had been saving for a long time.

Even tho Im not a breeder, I know how much work, time and money they put into them. And I know in our case the breeder will offer us a lifetime of support, which is priceless in itself.

I guess a lot of people aren't aware of what goes into ethical and responsible breeding, and the price of a puppy might come as a bit of a shock to them if they don't know any better.

I hope Mother and puppies are all doing well now . Thats a lot of work 12 puppies! Enjoy them :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Wow Mon, that is a HUGE litter.. Sorry about the little one that didn't make it.

If I was you - I would type that list out, in large font, and post it above where the puppies will be viewed - with a heading like.. 'Please only query or comment on the price of our puppies if you are willing to come back and do all this with the next litter:)'

With 12 baby Dobes running around soon, your place is going to be very busy. :thumbsup: