Price Of Puppies

MonElite

The most foster pups I've ever had was 14 (2 litters, one of 8, and the other of 6 - 6 days apart in age)... it's a lot of work, but it's also very rewarding to be involved in the rearing of great little individuals.

I have no doubt that Furia's pups will be "worth" way more than the asking price for their adoptions - awesome lines, health testing, great thought going into the mating, and of course the wonderful MonElite as their "grandma"... priceless!

T.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have so much respect for breeders like you. I hope your bitch is doing well now, poor girl.

What an amazing amount of puppies! I didn't realise robes had so many.

The first thing people ask me when they know I'm waiting for a pup is "How much will it cost" When I tell them the approximate price I get the same reaction. "If you want a working type dog why don't you go to so and so down the road and get one of his Border/Kelpie/ACD's for a carton of beer".

Oh dear, you people do fuss. Next door neighbour has the right way. Just make sure your bitch is secure in a dirt floor shed when time is near then check her every now and then. One of those times you will find some pups buried in a hole in the dirt floor that the bitch had dug. Don't let her spoil your social life just because she has 9 pups. When you have to go away for the weekend leave a bag of dry food open and a big bucket of water handy. Couple of weeks later there's 6 pups left, oh well the weak ones are better off gone. Another weekend away, silly neighbour hears a pup screaming, goes to investigate. Pup is stuck under some old timber on the floor. Stupid neighbour gets bitten by the bitch trying to free the pup. So pups are needing to be fed - Woopee there's a road kill roo just out of town, put way down the back the stink isn't so bad. Vaccinate the pups? Sheesh what a waste of money. Ok time to advertise - 6 health Dane/cross pups for sale $300 dogs, $350 bitches!

And the lot went!! So what are you all fussing about??

Boy, was I glad when they moved :champagne:

Oh dear, you people do fuss. Next door neighbour has the right way. Just make sure your bitch is secure in a dirt floor shed when time is near then check her every now and then. One of those times you will find some pups buried in a hole in the dirt floor that the bitch had dug. Don't let her spoil your social life just because she has 9 pups. When you have to go away for the weekend leave a bag of dry food open and a big bucket of water handy. Couple of weeks later there's 6 pups left, oh well the weak ones are better off gone. Another weekend away, silly neighbour hears a pup screaming, goes to investigate. Pup is stuck under some old timber on the floor. Stupid neighbour gets bitten by the bitch trying to free the pup. So pups are needing to be fed - Woopee there's a road kill roo just out of town, put way down the back the stink isn't so bad. Vaccinate the pups? Sheesh what a waste of money. Ok time to advertise - 6 health Dane/cross pups for sale $300 dogs, $350 bitches!

And the lot went!! So what are you all fussing about??

Boy, was I glad when they moved :champagne:

Speechless. :(

Im hearing you MonElite.... I have spent about $10,000 so far on my litter of 8 (god, if not more Ive given up counting)I have had 4 pups to the vet for illness or injury of some type(one was after hours over the last 8 weeks) and my pups are also sterilised before going (and one had a hernia repair, whilst under). I was close to calling it quits when the boy Im keeping had to be taken to the vet the other day as he was not well. Im not sure the stress and worry I feel every step of the way is worth it, even when they are seemigly happy and healthy, the worry and stress is still there, paranoid something will happen to them. I didnt and have not lost any pups in previous litters and its hard enough without that happening aswell, Im sorry you lost a beautiful baby. I have a pet pup for sale now and I spoke to a lady the other night, as soon as I mentioned the price, she went cold and tried to get off the phone. Very frustrating.

It infuriates me that BYBers seemingly have litter after litter, no worries, or they just dont have the care factor I do.

To all responsible dog breeders: I think these posts are really good at educating puppy buyers, including me. As a non-breeder, I have no idea what you go through and now can fully appreciate everything you do. So from a future puppy buyer, thanks. :)

Well said. It's good for the general pet public to find out how the purebred system works. Especially the enormous amount of thought & effort that goes into producing puppies. As well as the emotional & financial demands on the breeders.

From that perspective, the price of puppies is modest.

I recently had an equiry to use my male at stud on a pet owners bitch. They 'wanted her to experience motherhood at least once in her life'.

I know where they got the bitch from and contacted the breeder to see if in fact she was on main register.

I sent them an email outlineing their costs to do a mating.

Transport to me

Stud fee. Non refundable if bitch gets pregnant then absorbs, aborts or whelps dead pups. (my male has done his job, the rest is their chance and responsibility)

Any progesterone or vet costs during servicing

Transport back to them

Membership to their state canine council and cost of kennel prefix.

Hip/elbow scores of the bitch

Vwd test of the bitch.

I've not heard back....guess they realized it's not a money making proposition! :p

To all responsible dog breeders: I think these posts are really good at educating puppy buyers, including me. As a non-breeder, I have no idea what you go through and now can fully appreciate everything you do. So from a future puppy buyer, thanks. :)

Well said. It's good for the general pet public to find out how the purebred system works. Especially the enormous amount of thought & effort that goes into producing puppies. As well as the emotional & financial demands on the breeders.

From that perspective, the price of puppies is modest.

In need of something educational? here is something :thumbsup:

Ive changed that bedding 5 times during the birth of the puppies. It got worse at times than whats on the photos. Do I need to say that I was covered in all this as well?

post-3337-0-55230300-1361601293_thumb.jpg

I tell "no" to more people than "yes"

I bet you do. Some breeds seem to attract a steady stream of idiots and no genuine breed lover would sell them a puppy knowing full well they are idiots lol

I have considered one day getting into breeding my breed of choice for work, rather than show (there would be showing, but lots more working lol) but then I realized that a working bred dog would likely be "sharper" than what pet dog owners have come to expect and then I seriously considered whether I would find enough homes for working bred dogs. The answer I came up with was "probably not". This does not mean I will not ever look into it again but I am getting stomach cramps even now trying to imagine myself screening for suitable working homes. No point going to all the effort of breeding and raising dogs with intent to work them and then selling to pet homes, where some of their early experiences (hunting related stuff like game scent and basic conditioning for the intended work) might actually be to the detriment of their pet owners.

I admire any breeder who does a great job finding good homes for their puppies. As I said, I get ulcers just thinking about it...

I agree and never question the price of puppies, but most people really don't know that it can be so difficult. I think it would be good to have a reality show about breeding that showed the things that can go wrong. I reckon that would freak out a few morons who thought they wanted to BYB.

Baby Dobes :love: :love: I'd pay anything! :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3