Price Of Puppies

MonElite

Ditto to MonElite.

email - send photo of puppies and prices!!! No name nothing!!!

I advertise thru DOL, my breed club and my own website only!!!

SMS - have youse got pupps - how much?????

Numerous telephone calls - "How much are the pups" Nothing no greeting no introduction, nothing straight out with how much, and I don't think I could pin the voices down to any particular nationality, education level, social economic level, it seems to be the way a lot of people feel they should start asking about a puuppy.

Or the email I received today - after having the potential buyer meet mum before she had puppies, and her visiting my puppies 3 times in 3 weeks and putting a deposit on. " Have brought OES male puppy a few days ago, don't need your puppy now".

Sorry still struggling to work out why this person change from a GSD to OES, but originally also didn't want puppy until end of March begining of April for school holidays as she was a teacher!!!!!!!!!!

Last litter was 8 years ago, now I remember why it has taken me this long to do it again... :D

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ditto to MonElite.

Numerous telephone calls - "How much are the pups" Nothing no greeting no introduction, nothing straight out with how much, and I don't think I could pin the voices down to any particular nationality, education level, social economic level, it seems to be the way a lot of people feel they should start asking about a puuppy.

Or the email I received today - after having the potential buyer meet mum before she had puppies, and her visiting my puppies 3 times in 3 weeks and putting a deposit on. " Have brought OES male puppy a few days ago, don't need your puppy now".

Sorry still struggling to work out why this person change from a GSD to OES, but originally also didn't want puppy until end of March begining of April for school holidays as she was a teacher!!!!!!!!!!

Last litter was 8 years ago, now I remember why it has taken me this long to do it again... :D

:eek: some people :eek:

Clearly price is something that should be asked about along with questions about health testing, temperament, lines etc and providing information about yourself (the puppy buyer) as well.

Was just thinking back to before i bought my little punk, that alot of breeder adds do not put prices on the ad. Why is this? It would very quickly weed out those who see price as the number 1 concern??

I imagine that part of it is because the price of a reliable breeder's pups should not be a concern for a genuine buyer, but that it could also be because litters are often advertised in advance and the costs of raising them aren't necessarily known when the announcements are made (and breeders I've spoken to like to ensure pups have solid homes before they are born) and it could also be to prevent competitive pricing, which I don't doubt could happen. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Ditto to MonElite.

That would be because she wanted to be on hols when the pup arrived to settle it in wouldn't it?

Its no use complaining about puppy buyers - you are dealing with the general public. You are going to experience the whole spectrum of human personalities.

Must admit it is a bit of a challenge to know what the going rate for a new puppy of a particular breed is, when asking is considered a lethal question. One likely to get you canned.

When it could be 10yrs between dogs, it can be a real rude shock to see how much the price has jumped if you weren't expecting it.

I always ask (very nicely of course) about the price and perhaps some pictures first, because I don't want to waste the breeder's time if I can't afford the price. Once I know that it's in my price range, then I will inquire about the temperament, health test and tell them more about me and the kind of home I could offer. Of course one can argue that the purchase cost is only a tiny fraction of the cost of raising a dog. But I know it can be difficult for some people to gather 2.5K at once, but they have no problem paying vet bills / flea treatment etc since that's done in instalment.

It is interesting a number of you think that asking the price up front is important and that it should be displayed on breeders websites. I know that a lot of breeders might charge less for a puppy that they feel is totally mismarked, but feel if they put a set price up, they might not get a good home for a mismarked puppy that they are prepared to let go for a lower price.

A number of years ago I sold a family for almost half price a very nice puppy, there were mitigating circumstances, they could once as a family afford vet bills, feeding etc, but due to a few issues with one of their children they wanted him to a) have the puppy as his own b)use his pocket money to go to the purchase price of the puppy.

This child didn't get a puppy from my first litter but had to wait 12 months to save up more money and also show me via charts from home that he could show responsibility at home so that he could have a puppy, for me after meeting the family a number of times he needed a dog but he also need to mature another 12 months. I still have contact with this child who is now a doctor and got his 2nd dog of me from my last litter 8 years ago.

Do I still adjust my prices, yes, if I meet the family and feel that it would be a really good home, I might take a couple of hundred dollars of the price, IF I feel that they are the perfect home. I also know that other breeders will take some circumstances into account. I have also sold friends who compete in obedience a puppy for less as they will do obedience and I am happy that a puppy is going to that sort of home.

I am glad to hear that working homes may be given preference (or a helping hand due to a slightly reduced price) by some breeders. Is this something many breeders do? I am also curious, what percentage of pups tend to go to working homes vs. pets (I guess this would depend a lot on breed as well)

I just don't get how people can be so unfeeling, there is no way I could ring a breeder and just go "How much for a pup?" or a text or one line email asking the same... I mean sure at some stage I will want to know the price... but I usually want to get to know the breeder and give them a chance to know me and assess weather they want me to be a potential owner of one of their puppies...

But the one thing that ticks me off is that "if you cant afford a puppy you cant afford to look after the dog" mentality - very few people I know have over $1500 + lying around in their bank "just in case" something happens to their dog. Would be nice, but that's why responsible pet owners have pet insurance for unforeseen emergencies if they don't have emergency funds lying around or an account and a generous vet.

My dogs eat better than I do! and certainly get spoilt more than I do, but I don't have over $1500 lying around if I wanted to buy another dog, which I do want to... but id still have to save that money and budget for it... just cos I would have to do that doesn't make me a bad owner - there's plenty of people WITH money who can JUST buy a dog of any value on a whim.. without taking into account of what an impact that puppy will have on their lives - one could say dogs purchased by people who just had money to burn "bored" spending are more likely to end up a dog that wasn't planned for - or chances are someone who is a puppy farmer and makes money from their dogs also has money lying around to burn when they are wanting another dog.

And that's not to say that all people with money are like "that", and that's not to say that all people without money are like "that".

On a happier note, beautiful babies MonElite! (love the photo with the little one in mum's mouth hehe she keeping the little mischiefs inline? :D )

It is interesting a number of you think that asking the price up front is important and that it should be displayed on breeders websites. I know that a lot of breeders might charge less for a puppy that they feel is totally mismarked, but feel if they put a set price up, they might not get a good home for a mismarked puppy that they are prepared to let go for a lower price.

A number of years ago I sold a family for almost half price a very nice puppy, there were mitigating circumstances, they could once as a family afford vet bills, feeding etc, but due to a few issues with one of their children they wanted him to a) have the puppy as his own b)use his pocket money to go to the purchase price of the puppy.

This child didn't get a puppy from my first litter but had to wait 12 months to save up more money and also show me via charts from home that he could show responsibility at home so that he could have a puppy, for me after meeting the family a number of times he needed a dog but he also need to mature another 12 months. I still have contact with this child who is now a doctor and got his 2nd dog of me from my last litter 8 years ago.

Do I still adjust my prices, yes, if I meet the family and feel that it would be a really good home, I might take a couple of hundred dollars of the price, IF I feel that they are the perfect home. I also know that other breeders will take some circumstances into account. I have also sold friends who compete in obedience a puppy for less as they will do obedience and I am happy that a puppy is going to that sort of home.

I just had to say this needs a "Like" button. :thumbsup:

But the one thing that ticks me off is that "if you cant afford a puppy you cant afford to look after the dog" mentality - very few people I know have over $1500 + lying around in their bank "just in case" something happens to their dog. Would be nice, but that's why responsible pet owners have pet insurance for unforeseen emergencies if they don't have emergency funds lying around or an account and a generous vet.

My dogs eat better than I do! and certainly get spoilt more than I do, but I don't have over $1500 lying around if I wanted to buy another dog, which I do want to... but id still have to save that money and budget for it... just cos I would have to do that doesn't make me a bad owner

If I can read between your lines a little, it sound as if you WOULD spend $1,500 on your pup when you have saved it up, that you ensure your dogs are well cared for, and by the sounds of it you WOULD find a way to get the money needed if your dog required expensive vet treatment.

The comments are generally NOT directed at people who don’t happen to have $1,500 in readies and may need to save up, but at those who refuse point blank to pay $1,500 on the grounds that it is “too expensive” or because they think the breeder is profiteering.

I've had a similar debate with a few different friends recently. We're planning to get a pup later this year, my first dog since leaving home and my wife's first ever pet.

When friends ask why we are so set on a pure bred dog when we could "just get a cross from the paper" I just have to shake my head. We've been to a number of shows in the last 2 years, seeing dogs, and meeting breeders, and I really don't think you can put a price on the value of the time we have spent with very helpful and knowledgeable breeders. Especially for my wife having never had pets, talking with a knowledgable and responsible breeder has been invaluable. We've chosen our breeder and as soon as the small obstacle of a house purchase is out of the way we'll be giving her another call and probably soaking up more of her time! I don't think there are any BYB's who would a) be at shows and b) take as much time to talk to someone who is not in a "buy now" situation.

I for one have no objection to the price our breeder has quoted, considering that a Wei(or any other dog) should be living with us for easily the same amount of time we'd have a car if not 2 cars! If the only concern you have in getting a dog is the price your priorities are a bit backwards imo.

The comments are generally NOT directed at people who don’t happen to have $1,500 in readies and may need to save up, but at those who refuse point blank to pay $1,500 on the grounds that it is “too expensive” or because they think the breeder is profiteering.

Precisely.

I myself refer to people who don't think a dog is worth that much money. I know people who given up or put down dogs that required veterinary care that expensive or more (and even less). People who think dogs can live solely off table scraps, that don't need vaccinations because "hey, we don't take them anywhere so why spend the money?", that won't build a fence because the dog is "happy" to live day and night on a 3m rope tied to the washing line.

I don't think only RICH people should have dogs. I think people that do have dogs should be willing to consider that cost a small one in its lifetime and should demonstrate the willingness and capability to prepare for it financially.

Edited by Ruin Maniac

I didn't say that asking the price upfront is important. I am getting a puppy in April, and the first phone call we talked about the suitability of his dogs for what I wanted to do - agility. I talked about what I do and what sort of dog I was interested in and that I had seen videos of his dogs and liked them. It was only at the second call when I asked about other practical things such as registration, vaccination, microchipping and price (this being a WKC reg dog, not all of them microchip their dogs before selling). The price was withing the range I expected from watching several websites in the breed where they do state the price openly. I think it has to do with the breed of dog and people they are selling to and the culture surrounding this.

Edited by Kavik

Do I still adjust my prices, yes, if I meet the family and feel that it would be a really good home, I might take a couple of hundred dollars of the price, IF I feel that they are the perfect home. I also know that other breeders will take some circumstances into account.

A lovely attitude.

Certainly the same for the registered breeders that I've deal with. And who I admire.

Note to pet buyers: This is the kind of person who puts the welfare of their dogs first. Which means that's how they approach all the decisions around breeding.