Bloat Symptoms

jr_inoz

that's it - thank you!!!

In my experience of maybe eight GDVs, anything past the beginnings of Phase 2 is too late :( It becomes a matter of instinct - one older Irish Setter, who was a regular visitor to the kennels and also one of my girl's friends at obedience classes, was just standing the wrong way, head down, drooling a bit - couldn't put my finger on it, but just wasn't happy with her. Took her to the vet, they tubed her and said "no, she's OK" but I left her there anyway. She torsed about two hours later - thank goodness she was at the vet and they had time to do the surgery and give her a chance - she made it and lived another three years :)

There have been only two that were already bloating that actually made it through surgery - a Boxer and a Dobe. Those that didn't make it? A Dobe, two Irish and and a Wei..... it's a heartbreak.

Here is a pic of my dogs X-ray taken 1/2 hour after his first attempt to vomit. He had GDV , lost his spleen and needed blood transfusions x2 but 4 days of intensive care and $8000 later he's fine thank goodness!

When we got to the vet it was a junior vet and I had to demand that she see him as it was 10 pm on a Tuesday night and as soon as she saw the X-ray she said that 'there's less than 50% chance of survival with surgery and it is very expensive so we should consider PTS"

Ummmmmmmm well doing nothing gives him 0% love!!!!! I spat it and she called in the senior vet thank goodness.

That was 7 months ago.

I had a similar situation to lolapalooza (in regards to vet)

I woke up in the morning to find my bitch distressed and unhappy. Standing hunched, very uncomfortable. Had a vomit. Her abdo was distended. Called vet and said I suspect bloat who told me 'it doesn't sound like it'.

It was an Easter long weekend and despite their comment I took her in.

Junior vet on, told me it definitly wasn't bloat- 'probably just a stomach bug' ( stomach bugs don't distend the abdo like this!)

I demanded an xray which showed a very enlarged stomach (fortunately not twisted) Had I gone on his advice- she wouldn't still be around today!

Moral of story- if you even slightly suspect bloat- get to your vet ASAP. Don't be afraid to ask for an x-ray- it could just save your dogs life!