What To Do - Abandoned Cats

Cleveland

Hey guys,

Sorry its not a doggy thread more a what to do in this situation. My irresponsible neighbor has moved out taking her 2 small yapping dogs with her.... but it seems she has left her 2 cats behind.

We have been feeding her cats on and off for the past few months when i found them starving in my front garden wolfing down old bread i had thrown out for the birds.

They are strictly outside cats, as were her poor little dogs, rain hail or shine they were locked outside all year round. They barked all night so bad we had to swap bedrooms to the far side of our house due to the noise. We tried talking to her about it... nothing changed.

She would regularly go away for the weekends and leave her animals outside to fend for themselves while she was away. We usually ended up throwing food over the fence for the dogs. So disappearing is not uncommon for her.

However she has actually moved out, started last friday morning throughout the weekend. She left the dogs behind over the weekend but came back for them sunday night. The 2 cats got left.

We saw her again on wed during the day in which she put out her rubbish bins (they don't get collected until friday) Shut her front gates (never ever done that before) and thats the last we have seen of her.

She has left a whole heap of crap in the back garden and an old wardrobe sitting in the front garden for the past week. Not impressed at all.

So now the bins are still sitting out on the street, house locked up and no sign (usually we hear them they are pretty noisy with the kids)of her in 5 days. The cats are living in my front garden, crying for food all the time, running to our front door etc. We are feeding them twice a day. We cant keep them.

What do we do? Council? Welfare league? I put a note on her door tonight asking if she was taking them home or had she abandoned them? (i was pretty pissed when i wrote it) and she needs to be responsible and take them or take them to welfare league she cant just leave them behind like rubbish. I just dont know how to call to come and get them.

We already have one cat that was a stray no one wanted, he is a bit feral, will not take to another cat.... tried to kill them. Taking them on is not an option or i would. They arent the friendliest cats, they are obviously scared and had a rough trot, will hiss, scratch etc.

Sorry for the long story im just so frustrated with this woman, she has been nothing but bother and now she has finally moved out she couldn't even take her bloomin cats!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened here too :mad

1) You can either call council/Rspca. The cats will be PTS. Nice, friendly cats will be in line before them & few homes are found for cats.

2) You can try a private rescue but most are inundated at this time of year.

3) You can try taming the cats then desexing, vaccinating & microchipping at your own expense & then see if you can find a home for them.

I wouldn't be worried about legalities. No one is going to prosecute you for helping these cats. No one cares enough to want you to submit strays that you know are abandoned or wants to deal with the problems of prosecution. They would just be put down. End of story.

I picked up a kitten that had been left like this. My daughter has him & has had 14 years of love & companionship from him. So glad I brought him home :)

I agree...hard enough to re-home cute, cuddly, friendly cats let alone ones that may be a bit feral. If they are a really nice colour or really cute you can maybe do what christina said as in tame, de-sex and try and re-home but that's such a huge expense and time commitment for you.

If you take them to the pound yeah they'll probably be PTS but think about all the native animals and birds (if there are any in your area) they WONT eat....and they wont be around to breed and produce more un-wanted kittens. They will be relieved of their sad, starving life.

Sad situation :(

Please be positive - they can be rehomed they can be helped if you try - I help with many rescue groups sydney nsw australia & worldwide and due to all the networking on facebook this is achieved - it is not easy but it happens. This includes very feral cats.

I have already had someone ask where are you located as her vet helps with check if microchipped, etc & rehome if necessary. Understand about the rules however they are draconic & will be changed.

I was told by the pound at renbury.com.au NSW (west of sydney) to join facebook if you want to help - that is what I did and it is helping rehome most dogs from that pound & many many more cats than before. (I am not giving me credit but saying I network & link others)

I am also actively working with others to stop this killing of healthy pets & get them desexed and ID chipped etc.

There are many ways people can help it does not just take money.

Pls try

cherylv

Legally I believe they have to be given to a local pound or to the RSPCA. It is likely they will be PTS, but this may well be the best option for them (starving is no easy way to go), any local wildlife that may also become victims of their starvation and for the owner who does not deserve them by the sound of it.

Legally I believe they have to be given to a local pound or to the RSPCA. It is likely they will be PTS, but this may well be the best option for them (starving is no easy way to go), any local wildlife that may also become victims of their starvation and for the owner who does not deserve them by the sound of it.

Hello everyone

- these cats sound like they are not starving as this lovely person who is posting the question is asking what to do and feeding them at the moment. Obviously needing short/long term advice- do any of the people here have cats or like them who are replying with advice? or want to help the terrible situation of dogs and cats being put to sleep for decades now - not the original intention of the people who created shelters etc. see "When the early founders of the animal protection movement died and their organizations took over the job of killing those they had been formed to protect" American

No Kill Advocacy

saving pets

No kill australia

Many many APOLOGIES for sharing this information but many people are not on facebook and I had not come across this myself until late last year I think it is something everyone needs to be aware of - even if you don't agree. Thank you all for caring.

I am hoping someone will make contact so I can put them in a direction to help. sorry if my phone is diverting to work do text if needed.

cherylv

do any of the people here have cats or like them who are replying with advice? or want to help the terrible situation of dogs and cats being put to sleep for decades now -

yes, and yes...tho this thread is about one situation ..which I hope is resolved quickly .

I have now been given 4 contact in South Australia who could help with this situation - hoping for contact

Out of anyone in the world I abide by laws - I am not trying to give advice against the law perhaps a vet or someone who takes them will advise further in her state. How many people are breaking the law by neglecting their pets (& draconic laws need change) you can take pets to vets to be scanned they don't have to go to the pound and they are on this person's property. Just thought it a good place to share the other info. Thanks I appreciate your point.

regards

Cheryl

Edited by cherylv

Of course people here like cats and of course we don't like the fact that most animals in pounds and shelters face death. It's an extremely unfortunate situation. But giving advice to the OP that may be against the law (as it is, they have not yet changed and must be obeyed) is also unethical. I don't think she can just rehome the cats or give them to a rescue, unless the laws are different in her state and if so, great. Otherwise, if in the unlikely event the owner went looking for them I think the OP could be charged with theft.

And by the sound of it, the reason the OP is posting is because she can't keep feeding the cats forever (and fair enough too), which means they indeed are facing the threat of starvation. Far worse than euthanasia (and the reason that is likely is, as said, it's hard enough to rehome healthy, adorable, people friendly cats).

I have 4 cats and would own heaps more if I could :)

The fact is these cats need to either be taken to the pound, taken back by the owner or signed over to someone else

I do not believe being pts is the first thing that can happen to them.

Ifi had a choice of my cats being dumped and living wild or pts I would have then pts

What a joke, this OP cannot legally take the cats and hand them onto a "rescue", they can be handed into Council or the RSPCA can be called. I'm fed up with people that give advice to disregard the law, when it comes to dogs and cats.

You cannot keep an animal because you think it's abandoned, neglected, unwanted or whatever excuse you use to justify the situation and a rescue cannot legally accept a surrender from some who is not the owner or is without the authority to surrender.

As for owning a cat, yes I have one

ETA: If the RSPCA is not called, then the owner of the cats simply walks away, at the very least they should be facing the music for abandoning them.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

If the owner was really irresponsible she would not have microchipped, registered or done any vetwork on the cat. I vaguely recall reading something that states that if there is no proof of ownership, then the person who undertakes feeding/care of the animal has the most legitimate claim. Doesn't help, of course, that I can't reference that.

FWIW I think that strictly outdoor cats, unfriendly can be rehomed to certain situations eg farms, stables etc. Otherwise trap, neuter, release programs are also of value.