Westminster Show - Usa

Jed

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting photos there, especially of the breeds I've never seen before! I didn't know there were two types of Beagle - 13" and 15". Some of the call names are great especially Bob the Stafford and Ian the Dalmatian! I also really liked seeing drool on the Dogue and a person in the photo with the Lab :laugh:

Jed, can you please explain 'stacking' to a non-showy? Some of the dogs end up looking unbalanced or unsure of themselves - 'tentative' - to me, as if their hind ends aren't as strong as their front. Is this part of the 'stacking' process or just the way the breeds are meant to look? In particular the GSD but also the Irish Setter, for example. Even the Golden Retriever looks a bit different in style to those I've seen here (admittedly I haven't seen many in show condition).

Unfamiliar to the GSD breed is that dog stacked in that manner or does a german shepherd not actually place weight on a hind foot but on the region between that and the hock :confused: unlike the other breeds that have a balanced foot and upright line to hock that region seems to be almost horizontal to the ground on the shepherd, almost weight bearing close?

Can someone involved in GSD clarify this for me?

Thank you Jed a very interesting article

Thanks for the fantastic list of Best of Breeds. The Tib is GCH Kan Sing's Tenzin. I'm no expert but the US tibs' tails seem to sit flatter on their backs than the Australian-European ones.

I was just about to post the video of the Tibetan Spaniels being judged, on the TibbiePets list. Videos for each breed can be watched on Westminster Show website.

Fantastic website.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/Breed%20Judging/2013/Non-Sporting/vid:2624955

Edited by mita

Miss Pink wasn't included and the skye terrier seems to have wandered into the wrong group. Also, whoever groomed the wheaten, please read your standard, particularly this bit:

Presentation — For show purposes, the Wheaten is presented to show a terrier outline, but coat must be of sufficient length to flow when the dog is in motion. The coat must never be clipped or plucked. Sharp contrasts or stylizations must be avoided. Head coat should be blended to present a rectangular outline. Eyes should be indicated but never fully exposed. Ears should be relieved of fringe, but not taken down to the leather. Sufficient coat must be left on skull, cheeks, neck and tail to balance the proper length of body coat. Dogs that are overly trimmed shall be severely penalized.

Please repeat until you get it.

Hi Katdogs, "stacked" is a slang word which means "stand". The handler stands the dog in his best and most flattering position for examination by the judge and the dog stays still until the judge has finished "going over him - ie, checking his conformation, his teeth and his eyes. So the dog is "stacked".

Medium to large dogs are stacked on the ground, smaller and toy dogs are stacked on a table.

Most breeds stand a little differently, as you can see from stacked photos, but it is still basically the same.

Sorry redangel, I know nothing about GSD.

Showdog - that was a strange photo of the Irish, I agree

Juice - I t hink they have coloured and white classes because there are so many dogs, and that breaks them up a bit

And I think 13 and 15 inch beagles - only in America!!

Edited by Jed

Some interesting photos there, especially of the breeds I've never seen before! I didn't know there were two types of Beagle - 13" and 15". Some of the call names are great especially Bob the Stafford and Ian the Dalmatian! I also really liked seeing drool on the Dogue and a person in the photo with the Lab :laugh:

Jed, can you please explain 'stacking' to a non-showy? Some of the dogs end up looking unbalanced or unsure of themselves - 'tentative' - to me, as if their hind ends aren't as strong as their front. Is this part of the 'stacking' process or just the way the breeds are meant to look? In particular the GSD but also the Irish Setter, for example. Even the Golden Retriever looks a bit different in style to those I've seen here (admittedly I haven't seen many in show condition).

Opening a HUGE can of worms here and preparing to get massively flamed :p Partly it is how they stack them but partly the way they breed them too due to overangulation. The way they stack them so basically have their hocks touching the ground makes them look weak and unbalanced (personally).

Sorry stack is basically to me how you stand a dog in the show ring.

Edited by german_shep_fan

Opening a HUGE can of worms here and preparing to get massively flamed :p Partly it is how they stack them but partly the way they breed them too due to overangulation. The way they stack them so basically have their hocks touching the ground makes them look weak and unbalanced (personally).

I've seen lots of threads about this over the years and not being a GSD fan (sorry, bad experience as a kid) and not knowing much about showing I don't get involved. It just seemed odd that some of the other dogs looked 'tentative' but more exaggerated in the photo of the GSD. Perhaps the photos were all taken at the end of a long day. I'm interested enough now to go and look at the GSD videos to see how they walk - a couple I've seen at the park look crouched down and not really running smoothly. Do they actually have to 'run' at the shows or just walk, jog and stand?

I like the can of worms :)

The German Shepherd used to be a dog I would consider having but not anymore, it's absolutely disgusting what they have done to the breed.

It also looks to me from some of those photos that other breeds are starting to head in the same direction.

Do they actually have to 'run' at the shows or just walk, jog and stand?

Depends what you mean by 'jog' and 'run'. Show dogs don't gallop in the ring, if they did I doubt there would be a show ring big enough for my breed, and certainly no handlers who could keep up! They trot. I cannot run as fast as my dogs can trot though, so don't assume it's a slow pace necessarily. Depends on the breed and the current fashion as to speed, often faults show better at a slow pace so they are moved out quicker to look flashier. I don't have GSDs and am not going anywhere that debate, just talking generally. I don't like a lot of those photos though, have seen much nicer show shots.

Most of these photos are very average ,the Irish looks awful in its photo compared to what it does in the ring .

These aren't true to stacked photos & many look like there slipping on the flooring

I'd be bloody disappointed if I had a Westminster BOB and they thought it fit to publish pictures like that.

I thought alot of the dogs looked unsure, tails between their legs.

I liked the bullys, nice and even looking, i didn't know they had different class's for coloured ones, seems a bit odd.

They are considered separate varieties in the USA - they only compete against one another at group level - & you're right, it's odd :)

I've seen lots of threads about this over the years and not being a GSD fan (sorry, bad experience as a kid) and not knowing much about showing I don't get involved. It just seemed odd that some of the other dogs looked 'tentative' but more exaggerated in the photo of the GSD. Perhaps the photos were all taken at the end of a long day. I'm interested enough now to go and look at the GSD videos to see how they walk - a couple I've seen at the park look crouched down and not really running smoothly. Do they actually have to 'run' at the shows or just walk, jog and stand?

I don't agree with what has been done to the GSD in the showring so i don't go near it and i don't own the show type of GSD either, so someone who shows their GSD would have to answer those questions. The exaggeration is what is desired though, you could try to stack my shepherds like that till the cows come home but their backs still won't slope and their hocks certainly won't touch the ground, their construction just won't allow it :) They gait upright and don't have the crouching look to them. It upsets me to see ppl say they would have once considered getting one but now won't go near them :( The market is flooded with the show type but the shepherds of old do still exist :)