Nestlé Purina's Beneful Accused Of Poisoning Dogs

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

http://news.msn.com/us/nestl%C3%A9-purinas-beneful-accused-of-poisoning-dogs

Pet owners are calling for a recall of the dog food brand, but Purina says the accusations are false.

Dog owners are calling for a recall of Nestlé Purina's Beneful dog food on the Consumer Affairs website, claiming that the product is making their pets sick or killing them.

An article on Examiner.com questions why the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has failed to take any action against the complaints so far, echoing the concerns of other pet owners. As of Tuesday, there were more than 220 comments about Beneful listed on the Consumer Affairs site, the majority of them complaints from alarmed pet owners.

But Nestlé Purina spokesperson Keith Schopp told MSN News that the online postings "contain false and misleading allegations and cause undue concern and confusion among consumers."

"There are no known product issues with Beneful dog food," Schopp said in a statement. "Consumers can continue to feed Beneful to their pets with total confidence." Schopp added that consumers could direct questions about Beneful to 1-888-236-3385.

Complaints by pet owners on ConsumerAffairs.com claim that their dogs fell sick over the past three months after consuming Beneful products that include Healthy Radiance, Healthy Weight and Playful Life. Symptoms ranged from vomiting to diarrhea to kidney failure.

The Examiner.com article says that vets reported "bacterial infections, liver and kidney failure and high toxins in pets" brought for check-ups related to Beneful-related illnesses.

The problem is not limited to a single city or state, but is reported to be taking place across the country.

Some pet owners said that they had reached out to both the FDA and Nestlé Purina but had not heard back from either. The FDA’s website warns consumers about pet food recalls including brands such as Milo’s Kitchen and DogCandy, but doesn't list Beneful. FDA spokesperson Tamara N. Ward told MSN News that the agency would need to find "a definitive cause or a contaminant," in order to issue a recall. "When we have new information, we will make sure to let the public know," Ward said.

Nestlé Purina’s website voluntarily withdrew the Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand chicken jerky dog treats on Jan. 9 until further notice because of trace amounts of antibiotic residue found in them.

"No other Purina treats or pet food products are affected by this withdrawal," said a press release on the company’s website.

Beneful’s Facebook page has also received questions from anxious pet owners who want to know what’s going on. "Please give your readers/buyers report on the accusations I have been reading," posted North Carolina resident Charles Gill.

Guest donatella

http://www.examiner.com/article/purina-s-beneful-dog-food-killing-dogs-nationwide-no-recall-issued-by-fda

For those of us with pets, often they are members of the family. Their care and health are important to us and when something goes wrong it can be devastating. If you care about your canine pet, this is a must read.

Quite recently, my dog became very ill on more than one occasion. After the second time, I began researching the food because that was the only thing he had eaten.

Beneful dog food is a popular brand. Unfortunately over the last two to three months, pet owners have seen their dogs become ill after eating this food, based on reports on the Consumer Affairs website. Some pets are more sensitive than others, and their symptoms can include any of the following, sometimes more than one:

View slideshow: Beneful dog food

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Excessive water drinking

Lethargy

Weight loss

Seizures

Bloat (this is life threatening to a dog)

Kidney failure

Liver failure

Death

Although Beneful comes in several types of food from puppy, to active and healthy weight, it appears the problem is broader than one type of food. Reports have included Beneful's Healthy Radiance, Healthy Weight, and Playful Life, while other reports did not indicate what type of Beneful was fed.

Some owners said immediately upon feeding for the first time, the dog became sick. Other owners said that overtime the dog became sicker. Some people just switched to Beneful for the first time because it is a softer kibble and noticed an immediate problem. Either way, one common thread in the reports was the anguish for having bought this food that injured or killed their beloved pets.

Veterinarians have reported bacterial infections, liver and kidney failure and high toxins in pets that have been brought in related to Beneful dog food illnesses.

This problem is not in a single region but across the country. The number of reported cases, mainly from October 2012 through January 2013, has been increasing and currently there are 220 incidents listed on the consumer affairs site alone. With pets dying after eating this food, the following questions must be asked.

Is Purina turning a blind eye to what their Beneful product is doing?

Why has there been no recall or statement issued by the FDA?

How many injuries and deaths must there be before someone takes some action?

The FDA has three levels of recall.

The recall is made by the firm’s own initiative.

The FDA makes a request to recall.

The FDA orders a recall under statutory authority.

The FDA website was updated as of December 31, 2012, and with just about every other pet food available listed on the site, there is blatantly no mention of either Purina or Beneful.

In 2007, Purina dog food was identified for dog fatalities after an autopsy revealed aflatoxins in the food and the ASPCA became involved. Aflatoxins are known to be found in moldy grains, like the corn that would be in the dog food. At that time, there was a large recall. In 2005 100 dogs died for the same reason prompting another recall of a different brand of food.

At this time, there has been no indication that the ASPCA is investigating these 220 incidents. It is apparently up to us, the pet owners to take some action so that other pet owners, who may be unaware of this, don’t have to go through this devastating experience.

Here is how you can help. You can post this news article or even a note to the following social networking sites:

Warn your friends on Facebook

Tell your followers on Twitter

Inform your Google +circles

Push the agencies that can do something to get involved by contacting the following organizations:

The ASPCA

The FDA

At minimum, inform your friends and fellow pet owners to be very careful on what they feed and check the recall lists.

Yeah i posted this in the health section on dol after i was worried it might be the cause of Renae's previous liver toxin problems ( she only ever had it once) so did our other cav, but he's fine..

Apparently the Australian ones are sourced from local ingredients, which I was more relieved after finding that out. Its still sold in our Supermarkets here.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Guest donatella

yep its USA however if I were feeding my dog a brand and I heard something like this I would feel a little uneasy regardless of where in the world it was.

I haven't touched it since. I personally think she had the problems after giving her comfitis (flea treatment). I haven't given her any of that either since.

It is worth reading the full product spec sheets for comfortis which you can locate by Googling. It's effective, but the side effects for bitches you intend to breed/with pups concern me.

Yeah Ive been researching it since SSM .. and also it says not to use on dogs that have fits.. Well Renae didn't have them before, but has had some very mild type ones since confused.gif It was the only flea treatment that worked successfully here too! :(

I even had to take Joey once to vets after giving him one as he was scratching excessively and apparently some dogs have been known too have really bad side effects and die after which is why they insisted i bring him in straightaway (after i called them). Ive stopped using it.

My apologies I have taken this post off track a bit embarrass.gif but it was when i was trying to work out what caused her sudden liver enzyme problem, and they are the only 2 things that had come to my attention that may have caused it all, that were new to her system.. the purina dog food and the flea treatment.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

There are far too many recalls happening overseas IMO. Which is why I am looking to change to an Australian product when we have finished the current bag of TOTW. The Aussie made products don't seem as good in the ingredient list but I wonder if we overthink the whole issue of food for dogs anyway - I know I do anyway :)

Jules I just stick to the Frontline for fleas - seems to work OK. I have heard of reactions to Advantix in small dogs but not Comfortis but I don't really like any of them - they are a necessary "evil" though I guess.

Hi Rosetta, Frontline did work for a while but doesn't anymore for ours. We live on the coast and have sandy soil here :(

I hate putting any chemicals into/onto their body at the best of times too frown.gif

Im going try to avoid dry food with my new puppy and stick to what her breeder has recommended.. raw and natural

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Guest donatella

Can you please modify the post to point out that this is in the US and not Australia, and that the food sold in Australia is made in Australia? No point in unduly stressing out dog owners.

It is there, in the sub heading and has been the entire duration.

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

Snopes says it's undetermined. Snopes is not god.

I want to know why Purina haven't acted on the 220 cases of sickness linked to their food.

Noones reacting, I'm sharing a dog related news story. Similar was shared with the TOTW recalls last year in the US.

Edited by donatella

Snopes says it's undetermined. Snopes is not god.

I want to know why Purina haven't acted on the 220 cases of sickness linked to their food.

Noones reacting, I'm sharing a dog related news story. Similar was shared with the TOTW recalls last year in the US.

The sources you have quoted are not known for their high standards of journalism, they are known for trashy sensationalism, and this is not current news anyway.

You seem to be reacting and worrying about risk.

Edited by Greytmate

Guest donatella

It is current as it is still under investigation, people are coming forward with their stories.

I am concerned that a large corporation is not taking allegations seriously, i find it very disturbing.

If you find it trashy and sensationalised keep on walkin.