Day From Hell And

RiverStar-Aura

I find out at 5:20pm tonight (10 minutes before the store closes) that my application for a transfer to a store much closer to home has been unsuccessful. This transfer has been a year in the making and I've been excited about all the prospective life plans regarding the full 2 to 3 hours I won't be spending commuting to work each day -- training with the dogs, gym, and basically having a life.

That's just been blown to hell and back and so, feeling like crap, I get home only to find the damn power is out in the whole neighbourhood. :mad

It's brighter outside than in the house so I decided to take Zeus and Kirah for a walk. On leads, they're both highly reactive, which is something I'm working on, and all was going well until Kirah starts limping. :( I'm carrying her home, only to have the stubborn toad jump from my arms and be determined to walk. (Turns out she had a bindi about 1mm in size sticking into the higher pad on her foot (the lone one at the back near the wrist).

Home stretch, Kirah's still limping, and a dog rushes us from across the street and my two start going ballistic with the barking, noise and carry-on. With my guys it's all about the noise -- they're placid as hell once they've said hello -- but one of the owners rushes across while her kid is screaming the dog's name in their front yard. To make matters worse, an unsuspecting couple have unknowing walked right into the middle of this noise session with two dachies -- this sets my two off again. :( It's a bad situation all around.

As I'm walking off, I hear the little girl saying 'those dogs are evil' and the lady agreeing and saying 'yes, they are evil'. I get home in tears and beyond angry. :cry:

My dogs are not evil, they're reactive. They were rushed at by a dog, who incidentally was on a lead, it's just that no one was holding it. My two reacted with noise -- their ears forward and tails wagging with excitement the whole time. :(

The most annoying part of all this is that when Kirah's off lead, she's the most submissive dog in the world -- she literally flops on her back with all dogs and lies there rigid and unmoving. Put that lead on her and she turns in to the feral and ferocious sounding dog.

:(

This day needs to just quit already.

I have been commuting abd have just found a new job after over 12 months of searching so i know how disappointed you must be sbout not getting the transfer. It sucks.

You know your guys aren't evil, what a stupid thing to say anyway?! Forget them.

I hope you're feeling better this morning, dad like that need to just p*ss off. Hugs.

I hope you get the opportunity to work closer to home. I think a liot of people who do, take it for granted, until you lose 2-3 hours a day you don't realise how exhausting and depressing it can be.

If it is any consolation, I understand how you feel. Lucy's reaction is now very well managed but there were times were I got into my car - after trying to take her for a walk at an ON LEAD spot and being faced with dogs running in the car park - and cried after people telling me that if my dog was reactive she shouldn't be out (where should she be, locked in a backyard? dead?).

It is really hard to ignore the stupids when it appears that most people are less-than-bright but they were in the wrong, even if they don't comprehend that.

A very unhappy day for you RiverStar and I am so sorry the transfer has fallen though. Commuting like that doesn't add up to a good lifestyle. Were you given any reasonable explanation?

As for your dogs being called "evil", I agree with what Aidan2 says, frankly. Not that that is any help to you at the moment, sadly.

I wonder if it might be worth your while (and when you are feeling more upbeat and positive) to pay a visit to those people and explain to them more of what was going and the dangers of teaching children that other creatures are evil?

I do appreciate that this would be an extremely difficult and emotional task for you and if you decided along these lines, you'd have to be prepared for it to not turn out well. Sometimes things done with the best intentions turn around and bite us on the bum - Hard.

Edited by Danny's Darling

RiverStar, I know how you feel. Owning a GSD, your dog is evil as soon as it's seen. I have found many ways to counter-act this discrimination. However, the best was when a mother pulled her child away saying "bad dog, evil dog". I pulled my dog close and said "bad child, evil child". Naturally, the mother demanded her child was not and I calmly stated that my dog was well behaved and continued my walk. These narrow thinking people will never learn and you need to humour them.

Good luck with everything especially the job relocation.

People who matter know your dog is not evil

Guest Maeby Fünke

Those 'evil' people sound like nutters.

You deserve to do something nice for yourself, after having had such a sh*tty day. Sorry to hear about the job application - that would really suck :hug:

I hope you're having a much better day today :flower:

Yes, a classic case of 'blame the victim'. Someone allowed their dog to rush yours, by not being firm with the leash. Your dogs were the victims.

Much easier to point to 'evil' than to think about how the issue happened. Saves taking any personal responsibility. It's a stupid word to apply to dogs.

Thanks everyone for your words -- being rushed at like that was the last thing I needed after having such a crappy day. When I got home all I could do was bawl my eyes out and blame myself for taking the dogs out. Things like "I knew I shouldn't have taken them for a walk" were first and foremost in my mind and I blamed myself.

It's so hard with my dogs sometimes; they're so well behaved and not at all reactive at the off leash park, but taking them on walks is nightmarish at best. There's just something about having a lead on that sets them both right off at other dogs and I'm almost at a loss as to how to help fix this. I've been looking into taking them both to see Steve at K9 Pro, but just keep putting it off. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and take time off work (which after yesterday will be a welcome break) and book in.

I should also say that the little grey/white fluffy didn't exactly rush at us, he just slowly trotted across the road with leash dragging behind. I was worried he'd be hit by a car because he stopped in the middle of the road before continuing on towards my dogs. I was trapped too because I was at an intersection on my side of the road with the two Daschies heading towards us. I can't approach these people either because they're always out the front playing cricket across the street (from driveway to driveway using the road as the pitch) on a blind corner. I don't think this family has any common sense. :(

I get to ring work tomorrow and talk to my manager about why my transfer application was unsuccessful. I'm thinking it's because where I am now can't afford to lose me because I work my arse off for them. What they don't see, however, is that my roster isn't doing me any favours -- I work 4 hour shifts on Thursday nights with 1 hour travelling to get there then 1 hour home. Not at all beneficial for me. I also currently only work 25 hours a week, which isn't anywhere enough for me to afford moving out of home. If the company isn't going to offer me anything more for staying with them, then I'll be handing in my resignation and going elsewhere -- at least they can't stop that from happening. :(

Having a bludge day today -- watching tv and napping on and off. Might take the dogs out to the park later too if not raining (stupid weather). At least they're well loved there by the regulars! :thumbsup:

So familiar.

It used to be a common occurrence around here.

People wound the dogs up, and also wound up their reputation.

Things are much calmer since I dragged the rangers sorry arse into court.

My evil dogs are now 'rosey' and that's the way I like it.

Here's hoping you get on top of things.