Class Winning/placings And Ribbons

Pretty Miss Emma

So I'm new to the whole showing a dog thing. At the moment I'm still embracing trying to do at least one thing well each time we show, and I'm so happy when Hamish actually does what I ask of him! We're slowly getting the hang of it all, but we are well and truely a work in progress!! And that's ok, if you don't get in and have a go then how do you ever learn and get any better!!?

But something that I find very confusing and difficult as a newbie in the ring is figuring out if the judge has put you up or placed you. So often none of them say anything to you (and often I'm the only one in our class as people who have been showing forever don't waste their time showing a 10 month old in many cases!), or they just say thankyou and point you out of the ring. I now work on the assumption that unless I get told differently that we will be required for the challenge line up.

But I sort of feel that from either the judge or the steward there should be some communication about who won the class, even if you are the only one in the class, and that you will be required back again for challenge or class line ups within your breed. I'm lucky that I have met some lovely people who have helped me a bit with understanding how this all works, and I am someone who is happy to hover at around the ring til my breed is over as that way I don't need to stress and worry about where I should be. But I have to say there is just so little information and communication given 90% of the time and for begginners how can we learn and know where we are supposed to be and when?!

The other thing I found out on the weekend which I didn't know earlier is that every club must have ribbons for dogs that win their class. Why do the judges/stewards not hand these to the class winners while they are in/at the ring? I ge tthat if you've titled several dogs and been showing for years you probably don't care about these ribbons. But for someone who has just started these ribbons are important (and they certainly work nicely as a form of communication to let you know where you placed within the class!), they may well be the only ribbons my dog gets!!! (Ok for me they won't be because he's going to do a bundle of dog activities so there will be other ribbons!) But I'm just wondering if there is some really good reason why they don't get handed out? It would take 2 seconds to hand them out, if it is a financial reason then most clubs can probably be reassured that the old hands at showing would probably hand them back. I just sort of think it's not so nice having to go and ask for a ribbon when really it wouldn't have been that difficult to hand it out. And think of the ribbons I've missed now, because I didn't know that we were entitled to one. That actually upsets me a little bit, especially because some of them were times when we actually did get put up over another dog.

Showing seems to be so difficult to break in to (in terms of getting a dog that can be shown and then finding out what to do) and so difficult to learn about. I'm lucky, I quite enjoy it and I will keep trying and hopefully one day we will eventually win some points (I should probably wait for my boy to grow up a bit for this!). But it is quite intimidating and confusing, and I just think doing some simple things like communicating and handing out/offering ribbons might make it a bit more of a welcoming environment for the newbies like me! Anyway, just sharing some thoughts from the perspective of someone new to the show world!

BOB and challenge ribbons are often ringside and you help yourself or they are handed out. I have never seen place ribbons for a class handed out at an everyday show, if you want them you do need to go to the secretary's office and ask.

BOB and challenge ribbons are often ringside and you help yourself or they are handed out. I have never seen place ribbons for a class handed out at an everyday show, if you want them you do need to go to the secretary's office and ask.

I've seen BOB and challenge handed hout. But I'm just wondering why, if the club is obliged to have ribbons for the classes, they don't hand those out ring side? I would have just thought if they weren't going to be handed out what is the point of the club having to have them! Like I mentioned, I'd like them handed out because at least it would let me know that I had been awarded the class! But if they aren't going to hand them out then what is the point of requiring them? (I still want them there, because now that I know this I will go and ask for one, but it does feel a bit odd having to go and ask for your ribbon!)

if youre unsure of whether you need to go back into the ring you can ask the steward quickly if their not too busy :) normally you will go back in for the challenge (if you were the only one in the class) unless the judge advises you otherwise.

but in saying that, often the steward will say "puppy dog goes to number XXX" or something along those lines

not sure what you mean about the ribbons, ive only ever received ribbons in the classes at royals.

Edited by puppy_dawgs

I agree you always get something said that acknowledges you have won/placed or something .

The steward is the person in charge of the charts

As for ribbons we have a bucket here ,most clubs rarely hand them out like they use to as they cost to much & if people really want them they will ask plus when going back in the ring you end up with ribbons & no where to put them or in pockets that are being used for other things

I've seen BOB and challenge handed hout. But I'm just wondering why, if the club is obliged to have ribbons for the classes, they don't hand those out ring side? I would have just thought if they weren't going to be handed out what is the point of the club having to have them! Like I mentioned, I'd like them handed out because at least it would let me know that I had been awarded the class! But if they aren't going to hand them out then what is the point of requiring them? (I still want them there, because now that I know this I will go and ask for one, but it does feel a bit odd having to go and ask for your ribbon!)

Takes up time handing out 1st, 2nd, 3rd place ribbons for every class. You need to watch the judge while showing. And listen. If there are two or more in a class, they often point with their fingers, one, two, three. And the steward would then usually say the numbers. Even with one dog in the class they judge usually acknowledes the place getters. Sit yourself down outside a ring and watch. You can learn a lot that way :)

The class placing are always called out by the steward. :)

Watch what the judge is doing as they usually point to all the place getters, other wise how would the persons marking catalogues know where to place the dogs. You will learn as times goes by and become more fully acquainted with the ring procedure.

If you are the only dog in the class you need to come back for the Challenge line up.

If you are second in your class you may need to stay close to the ring. If the dog that beat you gets the challenge you will be required to go back in for res. Chal.

As for ribbons if you are placed and want the ribbon go and find it at the secretary's tent/office or the writers table.

Usually only the in group and in show ribbons are handed out in the ring.

At the Royals place ribbons are usually handed out in the ring.

Many years ago handing out the place ribbons was done, these days not so. If you wish to have your place ribbon go and ask for it. I do this for the dogs I take out / show that don't live with me, the owners like to have the ribbons and that is fair enough, so I make the effort to get their ribbons. Sometimes the BOB / Challenge ribbons are not handed out and again I make the effort to go and get them for the owners.

New exhibitors need to make it known to the Stewards and Judges. Most will be very helpful and give you great advice. The helpful Ring Stewards that know you are a new exhibitor will guide you and let you know that you will need to hang around for a Challenge line up and or Class run off, etc.

Glad to hear you have found some people to help guide you along, it can be very confusing when you first start out.

Good luck in the ring! :)

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I'd love to say that this had been my experience, but in my 6 months of showing experience now I'd say about 70% of the time it hasn't been at the shows I've been at! But like I said, I just stay ringside - it means I can watch the other dogs that eventually one day we will compete against and see a bit more of what goes on with all these things!!

I'd love to say that this had been my experience, but in my 6 months of showing experience now I'd say about 70% of the time it hasn't been at the shows I've been at! But like I said, I just stay ringside - it means I can watch the other dogs that eventually one day we will compete against and see a bit more of what goes on with all these things!!

I find that quite bizarre because Vic shows have the best stewards & i show there yearly & always have had great stewards as often the ring is done by one person so being in charge is very important .

You generally stand fast whilst the steward writes your number down or something similar but a stweard needs your number/s to go on the charts & i showa breed often on my own or a small number & even then they still acknowledge something

Edited by showdog

Always ask the steward if you are not sure!

If I did not see or unsure of what the judges decision was, I usually ask the steward after the placement who got say the class or challenge.

One one show last year, I thought the judge based on her signal refused the challenge. After I left the ring and went back with the next breed, I questioned whether the dog I exhibited was refused the challenge, only to find it was a signal that she had no problem with awarding the challenge! I was relieved to hear it was the opposite, and that day, this dog was awarded the Class in Group! :laugh:

I agree with showdogs, Victorian has great steward and Group One is usually rotated by a couple, so it's usually a familiar person stewarding which helps a lot!

I have been stewarding for well over 30 years and unless I can see your number and follow the judges placings how can I fill in my stewards sheet.

The placings are called out and the numbers for challenge are all called for you to line up in order of class.

Could some states stewarding be slipping ????????. I must admit I have not seen it in Qld., NSW or Tas. :)

PME some shows have the place ribbons ringside and you can grab one form there. Sometimes OS Judges give them out and people drop them back in the box fi they do not want them.

Often not even the challenge and BOB are given out.

Feel free to grab them.

When there is small class its often very confusing who got what. laugh.gif

I understand exactly where the OP is coming from. And I think it relates a lot to her often being the only entrant in her class. As a relative newbie I too have had similar confusion on occasion of who is awarded what and if I have been awarded at all. Often in a class where I am the only exhibitor, we've done our usual thing and at the end of the go-round and coming up to the entrance of the ring again, the judge just looks away.. the steward already knows your number, you are the only one in the class, and you just leave the ring, nothing said by anyone. It is assumed that if you are the only one there, and the judge has not said anything to the contrary, that you have been given the class placing. A similar thing often happens in a small class when the judge awards in order of entry, so that the first dog that went round gets first, and the second got second. The judge often just gives a subtle nod to the steward, and the steward makes note, and you leave. You have to be looking up at the judge to see it. It doesn't make it easy for newbies and kind of takes away from the thrill of any of the class wins, as they seem to most of the seasoned showies to be insignificant, and therefore, they don't bother with ribbons or acknowledgement. On the other hand, I have come across some great stewards and judges who make showing clear, easy and enjoyable. Theres a fair bit of reading body language involved I think, especially with some of the international judges. If you are new to things, let the steward know, and even the judge when they go over your dog, and they will usually keep an eye on you and explain things a bit more to you. And if you don't understand something, ask. You paid your entry, they are there for you.

I understand exactly where the OP is coming from. And I think it relates a lot to her often being the only entrant in her class. As a relative newbie I too have had similar confusion on occasion of who is awarded what and if I have been awarded at all. Often in a class where I am the only exhibitor, we've done our usual thing and at the end of the go-round and coming up to the entrance of the ring again, the judge just looks away.. the steward already knows your number, you are the only one in the class, and you just leave the ring, nothing said by anyone. It is assumed that if you are the only one there, and the judge has not said anything to the contrary, that you have been given the class placing. A similar thing often happens in a small class when the judge awards in order of entry, so that the first dog that went round gets first, and the second got second. The judge often just gives a subtle nod to the steward, and the steward makes note, and you leave. You have to be looking up at the judge to see it. It doesn't make it easy for newbies and kind of takes away from the thrill of any of the class wins, as they seem to most of the seasoned showies to be insignificant, and therefore, they don't bother with ribbons or acknowledgement. On the other hand, I have come across some great stewards and judges who make showing clear, easy and enjoyable. Theres a fair bit of reading body language involved I think, especially with some of the international judges. If you are new to things, let the steward know, and even the judge when they go over your dog, and they will usually keep an eye on you and explain things a bit more to you. And if you don't understand something, ask. You paid your entry, they are there for you.

It used to drive me nuts as a beginner.

How hard is it for the judge to point "First" & "Second" or simply say "As you are, thanks!"

Most do.

Many don't.