Does She Really Need An Elizabethan Collar?

WExtremeG

I've never had a dog worry about the stitches from any surgery and since I started asking for minimal clipping, have never even had them worry about clipper rash. Some vet nurses get very carried away and shave a much larger area than they need to and this just increases the problems with clipper rash.

I have also never had a dog need an e-collar but they have always had someone home with them. If I had to leave them unattended for any length of time I would put one on. The only dog I have known to rip stitches out was after a caesar but you cannot put an e-collar on a nursing bitch. Sadly in that case the damage was so extensive that the bitch died.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid $27 for one when my girl was spayed, it lasted all of 4 days until there was no more plastic left to gaffa tape... litterly I'm not joking she tore the thing to shreds.

I wouldn't bother with it.

None of the rescues I deal with get the collars and none of them have ripped their stiches out yet.

my girl never needed one when she was spayed... She didnt even notice she had stitches. The thing that concerned me the most was keeping her from running around like a mad thing. We had a crate but you cant keep them in the crate all the time.

I was sure Chess would need an E. collar after she got stitches from an attack last year, because she is a very busy/fussy dog and I think I recall reading she had trouble with her stitches after desexing at the shelter. We bought one but never put it on because she was under constant supervision - she sleeps next to me and I woke up two or three times to licking, said "no Chess", and that was the end of it. If you are there to supervise I wouldn't worry.

Also we paid about $5 too, $25 seems pretty excessive!

None of mine have needed one after desexing, however Diesel is a dog that tends to 'worry' things, so that irritations which are small very quickly (as in the space of hours or overnight) then become disasters as he chews huge holes in himself! I have an elizabethan collar for him for such occasions.

None of mine have needed one after desexing, however Diesel is a dog that tends to 'worry' things, so that irritations which are small very quickly (as in the space of hours or overnight) then become disasters as he chews huge holes in himself! I have an elizabethan collar for him for such occasions.

Mosley is like this, he's had to wear an E collar quite a few times *rolleyes*

OP if she will be supervised I'd just wait and see if she needs one.

Never ever used one for spaying ,only had one for eye suregery & that was a requirement that we also agreed with.

We have a vet clinic here that insists on them as part of there care package .The funny part is you can go to the shop down the raod & buy one for half the price & the actual correct size.

A good vet who does a good job rarely requires a bucket,yes some dogs can be a one of a kind .

The dogs hate them ,the wrong size makes drinking hard .

You can buy dog neck braces which stops there heck from turning & still allows drinking & laying comfy

Never needed & would not put one on an animal as a matter of course. Its not nice for them

Wait & see what she does. Probably nothing.

Sometimes if it seems to be bothering them its the piece of thread they are sewn up with has been left a bit too long & is poking them when they curl up. If so just snip it a bit shorter with small scissors facing away from the dog obviously.

Edited by Christina

A neighbour once urgently needed one for her silky terrier ....

I found a square firm piece of foam..about 3cm thick ..cut an X in the middle .. and slipped it on over his head Full field of vision ..he ate & drank normally , and didn't have to worry about knocking it hard :) he didn't mind it one bit either ..and it lasted just enough days to keep his wound dry & clean :)

My dog got desexed last friday and there was an infection last night. it wasn't from her biting her stitches but it was from being too active and jumping/running around alot. so now she's wear the collar all the time to make sure that she doesn't get uncomfortable and start licking it or biting at it. it might be good to hire one from the vet (if you can) in case you might need one? better safe than sorry.

I made my own with a long sports sock filled with foam beans from an old bean bag. I sewed the other end closed when filled, and stitched some velcro on each end to hold it around the dogs neck. It doubled as a bring your own pillow. I wonder if one of those curved neck rests could be used in a similar way?

Edited by KaseyC

You could think of it as purchasing something which you may need in the future, and which is handy to have in your first aid cupboard. You never know when you might need it for something.

I actually bought 3! :laugh: A 'normal' plastic one, then a soft cone ('the Comfy cone', our favourite) and a 'blow up' ProCollar. And PP is using them quite often because of flea dermatitis.

Hope your girl will be ok!

You could get intradermal stitches done to reduce the chances of her pulling anything out? My vet tried to send me home with a cone when I didn't want one and she kept advancing on Indie (who is terribly shy and doesnt like new things, hated the cone) with the cone trying to put it on her after I asked her repeatedly to stop because she was freaking her out.

I have a cloud collar for Indie if I ever need it since she gets allergies and sometimes needs it.

Guest donatella

Never used one and have owned 4 female dogs that have been speyed and have 1 more to go and she will not be a bucket head either!

Years and years ago they weren't around and people got by just fine.

I personally find them cruel but each to their own, I have never owned a dog so obsessed with their suture line i'd probably change my tune if my dog was causing themselves harm.

Edited by donatella

Wow your all very lucky.

I'd say 50-60% of our patients decide to lick/fuss at their stitches.

If you have seen an animal eviscerate itself (which I have seen twice), cause a gaping wound which needs to be sutured again or cause a bad infection, you would understand our concern and why we may push for the elizabethan collars for certain pets. I do not believe every dog requires an elizabethan collar though.

Also please remember, the general public (not as dog savvy as your average dol'er) do not understand the consequences if their dog "just licks a little at night".