Puppy Was A Swimmer, Still Flat Chested

Kaffy Magee

I have a really nice puppy here, hes almost 9 weeks now, he was a swimmer and whist he got better his chest is still flat. Does anyone know if this will change? He does still like to lie on his chest with his elbows out to the side, which cant be helping, but he walks fine etc. On one hand I don't want to let him go but on the other I'm already keeping two pups and don't really need a third here.

Thank you Sandra! That sounds promising then. I have decided to run him on. He is also smaller than the other puppies but hes got something, that I feel if I let him go, Im going to regret it. Safest thing is to run him on I think and hope his chest comes good :) Thank you.

Hi Kaffy Magee

The chests of swimmers can take up to 6 months to right themselves. I did lots of reading on this and most information says this, and that most cases do right themselves.

I would suggest trying to discourage him from lying flat on his chest. You could spend time with him lying him on his side, put soft toys and cushions in his crate so he lies on an uneven surface, etc