Stewards

Keshwar

It was mentioned in another topic that Vic has the Best Stewards, now I disagree with this, cos I think the Canberra region has the best Stewards - but that could be because I'm one of them. :rofl:

So what makes a good or even a great Steward?

Please keep this light and even humorous. :thumbsup:

A good steward is always cheerful, is helpful to new exhibitors (and young exhibitors) and has a voice which carries.

I've got to be honest I've only been to one show with a truly horrendous steward who was brutally rude to my son who was showing a puppy in baby sweepstakes for a friend - he was only 7 and her rudeness ensured that he found no pleasure in it that day. Thankfully I haven't seen her in the ring since.

I don't care if there not always cheerful,i have stewarded in the past & anyone who does that job deserves a medal due to rude exhibitors,people that aren't ready,don't listen,walk off ,never answer there calls & many that blame the stewards for all sorts of evils

After all it is the exhibitors job to be ready but a steward who is in charge is a wonderful tool especially as many do the job on there own & as a volunteer

Clear voice that carries (w/out bellowing)

Know the regs and are confident enforcing them

On the ball and resistant to distraction

Firm with the prima donnas and gentle with the newbies

Prepared to listen and act decisively if a problem is brought to their attention

Accurate.

I so agree with your post.

Years ago, I remember a few stewards here in Vic that could spot as newbie in a crowd.

They would beckon them over and quietly explain how the judge is working and what will be expected, where to run and where to set-up.

I remember really appeciating this as a newbie as I had no-one showing me the ropes.

So I think one thing that makes a good steward great, is being able to spot and assist those new to the ring.

I sure appreciated it! :)

Hi,

Agree with what has been said...for me the most importantly a Steward needs to be organised and pleasant ie if they can have the next class ready when the previous class is being judged, this makes things run quicker.....and be PATIENT, there is always confusion with change of handlers and dogs. And be especially PATIENT with new exhibitors........recently had to tell a Steward to be nice, this is a new exhibitor 2nd show......his crime was to leave the ring after CC was awarded, there was only 2 dogs in the line up......she started carrying on about where's the exhibit gone, why are you people so disorganised, the drama queen routine was totally uncalled for....this is when I said he's a new exhibitor her reply was 'well these new exhibitors need to be better organised' well karma got the Steward she then called the wrong numbers back for Res CC.......actually the treatment of new exhibitors is a whole different discussion and one of the reasons everyone should try to be pleasant....you just dont know who you are talking to

I think organisation is a good point. When its raining and only 1/class then calling the next dog in to set up gets everyone dry quicker.

I also think that good stewards are polite and dont mutter rude comments under their breath, in the hearing of other exhibitors.

Clear voice that carries (w/out bellowing)

Know the regs and are confident enforcing them

On the ball and resistant to distraction

Firm with the prima donnas and gentle with the newbies

Prepared to listen and act decisively if a problem is brought to their attention

Accurate.

I so agree with your post.

Ditto...esp a loud voice. :)

Good stewards are:

Polite

On the ball, have a mind like a steel trap

Humourous

Nice with newbies, but firm with those that should know better

Knows the rules & reg's

Set's up the next class while the previous judge is being judged

Doesn't mutter rude or nasty comments under thier breath or to a judge

Keeps things lighthearted, even when scolding people for being unorganised

We have some great stewards here, and I feel for them, they have to put up with alot. I haven't really come across a really bad steward except for once, no one could hear them over the crowd, got every group mixed up and we all had to be rejudged, and worse than that (because everyone makes mistakes!) they were just plain rude, and when a dog won that they didn't think was right would comment loudly to thier friends sitting outside the ring that that was not what 'they would of done!' - made you feel like crap!

Stewards have to put up with so much, like people who have been showing for years not being ready for Group even though it was announced 10 minutes before and they don't have a lead on thier BOB, in the pouring rain, or people missing thier calls and then demanding the class in group being ran again, even though they called the number 11 times and the people were standing a metre away and not saying anything, etc, etc. They all are usually pretty good about it! Don't know if I'd have the patience without calling people absent, especially when they are standing 3 feet away and not answering thier calls!

my favourite steward is one who always goes down the line up checking numbers and offering polos to each exhibitor :laugh:

These days i enjoy stewarding much more then exhibiting, even chasing up the odd exhibitor who is sat chatting to friends ringside.

being organised

calling out classes and winners in a clear voice

getting the paperwork done and making sure the judge is doing their bits

having the rosettes and prize cards ready to hand out as calling out winners humbers (perhaps that is more a uk thing as i don;t think you hand out rosettes to class winners?)

Calling in next class and getting them set up while judge is doing write ups for previous class

andd the hardest part, lunching with the judges! :laugh: