Has Anyone Else Had A Dog Doing This?

mantis

My 7 year old rescue Staffy eats her food, but once there is only a bit of food left around the sides of the bowl, she puts her paw in the bowl to stop it moving all over the floor, while she gets the last bits.

I have never had a dog do this, they usually chase the bowl all around the floor until it's gone.

I think she is incredibly smart to do that, now I think my other dogs were dumb. :rofl:

MacDuff does this - but he is a smart cookie.

Kita on the other hand just looks confused when the bowl moves...but then she isn't nicknamed Princess Fairy Floss Brain just for no reason :)

Edited by perygrine

Mac does this also...bit of a surprise really as in some ways he is a little 'special'

If I give him a piece of butter paper he always puts it carefully on the ground, butter side up, puts his paw on one edge to hold it steady, then licks it clean.

Mine pick up the bowls and take them where they want to eat that day, and then lift the food out before eating. It is a pain if they spill it on the way to wherever.

Edited by Diva

Yep my girl puts her paw on the bowl to stop it moving around. Not sure if my boy would do it or not, I bought him a bowl with rubber on the bottom so it doesn't move around.

When I give them a treat when out at a cafe with them they always hold the treat between their paws to eat it whilst lying down, people often ask me if I have taught them to do that. I think it just comes naturally to them. It is very cute.

Trouble has always done that... and she also picks up the empty bowl and does her best Oliver Twist "please sir, may I have more" look when she's finished...

T.

When Kenny was hungry & there was no dry food in his bowl, he used to pick it up & drop it next to me.

Had about 1/2 and 1/2 do it over the years. I don't believe it's something they learn - well none of the dumb half here learned it anyway :)

Funniest thing is give them the lid off the ice cream container, some don't care but others put their foot on it then freak out about stuff on my foot mum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max picks up her food from the bowl and puts it on the floor and eats it from the floor to save that issue :rofl:

One of our Chi's used to do that. He'd take a chunk and go to his favourite spot, put it down, then eat it.:laugh:

My Manchester does this - i think she doesn't like to eat alone so will grab massive mouthfuls of biscuits and carry them to near where we are, spit them all out and then eat them - strange dog! She's always done it, unless the other dog is in there eating with her :laugh:

Em and Skeeter don't like getting their paw dirty with their food but Skeeter will sometimes push his bowl to the corner of the room and eat his dinner there. The bowls stays in one place when it's in a corner.

I have seen other dogs doing this.. I think it's very clever :)

Em and Skeeter don't like getting their paw dirty with their food but Skeeter will sometimes push his bowl to the corner of the room and eat his dinner there. The bowls stays in one place when it's in a corner.

I have seen other dogs doing this.. I think it's very clever :)

I have since bought small but heavy bowls for the dogs, but in the past I would do this for a couple of the littlies who would be chasing the bowl all around the floor.

I have others who put their feet in the bowls.

I have some photos somewhere ... will have to scroll through the "few" photos I have :D :D