How Did Your Dog Get It's Name?

I'm sure we've had a thread like this before but the Charles Wentworth (Charlie) thread had me wondering given he has siblings called Emmy and Skeeter (I love Skeeter for a name!) how he got his name. And of course when I first joined DOL there was the well loved Gherkin the pug. Plus there are a few female Stevie's who I'm thinking might be named after Stevie Nicks?

In our house we have:

Wolf - so named as she looked like a Wolf cub when my sister first got her.

Stussy - a name she picked for herself. It took a week and a myriad of friends helping, calling out names until we discovered that she thought she was a surfer dog and finally responded to the clothing brand name.

Tempeh Soya-Bean Dean - started out as Dimples and when she became a FF we wanted to give her a chinese name to reflect her asian shar pei heritage. I spent ages researching and checking in with Cantonese speaking friends for a name that reflected her personality but Tempeh was the closest sound to Dimples we found that she would respond to. Plus she has freckles that look like the food! As I am a bit silly I had to add the Soya-Bean as her middle name (it's what tempeh is made out of after all) and Dean is our surname. So that's the name on all her official documents! I generally just call her Doodle-Bug.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana is named after Indiana Jones. In the third movie we learn that Indiana was actually Indy's childhood dog's name and that the dog was an Alaskan Malamute so we figured it was perfect.

There is no story behind Kira's name, we just liked it.

Giorgio (GG for short and Jojo when we're lazy with R's) is the main character from the Stephen Sondheim's broadway musical Passion. It was the song I listened to when I went to pick him up. People generally thought I named him after the designer though, which I don't mind :)

In hindsight, Teddy would have been a perfect name because he's fluffy like a teddy bear. I've decided that would be the name of my next dog.

Mine don't have stories behind them!

Max is because I like the name for a girl - and no it's not short for Maxine!!! It's Max, just Max. Or as I often say when people ask - Max, as in "Spoilt to the..." (her registered name is Bunyong Spoilt to the Max) :D

Boston is because I like the way the name sounds, and also because I love the city. But first and foremost because I like the way it sounds! Also, it fit in well as his fathers side of the family has a legal theme that goes back manymanymany generations. His dad is Aust Ch Scarborough Without A Trace (Imp NZ) so I chose Hugapug Missing in Boston for Boston.

In the dog park people often ask me where my Boston is, when they hear me talk about Max and Boston, and I point to him and they say "but he'd a pug?" as though they expect Boston to be a Boston :laugh:

The place I stayed at when i first moved to my current city had the nicest doorman whose name was Milton. My husband and I vowed we would name our future dog that because he really was the nicest man we'd ever met with such a great name..!

Hoover got his name about 2-3 days after I bought him home after he did nothing but scour the floor picking up anything and everything, which he still does.

I had already picked out Crumpets name before I collected her from the airport - she nearly had it changed though when I took her out of the crate and she peed all down my front.

And Shabby had her name when I got her ( I'm her 5th owner ) apparently she was first called Coco.

post-48489-0-45723300-1362285760_thumb.jpg

post-48489-0-77029900-1362285943_thumb.jpg

post-48489-0-55963600-1362286066_thumb.jpg

I chose Meeka because I wanted a name that would be clear and definite if I went on to do obedience training. I searched it on the Internet and it means "clever raccoon " in the Cree Indian language, which I liked as well. Also I didn't want a name which was likely to be a human child's name. This however backfired when a much younger person at obedience training commented in disbelief " Meeka, like the singer !"- turns out Meeka is a gay icon rap singer - best laid plans obviously went astray - lol

Dozer - had a few names picked out before I got her. The minute she got here, she plowed through the garden :)

Dollop - it's part of his registered name. His mum was Dollops of Duco, his dad was Devil in the Dark, so he became Dollop of the Devil (only one Dollop, not Dollops, cause he has one dot on top of his head). The name suited him as a pup, and still suits him at 68kgs :D

Gus was always going to be gus.

Maple is coningsburgh maple syrup because I wanted something that resembled her colour.

Floyd is so named cos the litter were all named after pink floyd albums/songs and he is Obscured by clouds.

I had already picked out Crumpets name before I collected her from the airport - she nearly had it changed though when I took her out of the crate and she peed all down my front.

I once had a kitten named Wizzer for a very similar reason :rofl:

I'm sure we've had a thread like this before but the Charles Wentworth (Charlie) thread had me wondering given he has siblings called Emmy and Skeeter (I love Skeeter for a name!) how he got his name. And of course when I first joined DOL there was the well loved Gherkin the pug. Plus there are a few female Stevie's who I'm thinking might be named after Stevie Nicks?

The story behind Charlie's and the rest of my crew name is...

As soon as I got Charlie, I knew that his name had to be Charlie but Charlie was such a common name that I wanted to give it more of a formal name so after playing around with names, Charles Wentworth got stuck.

Emmy's formal name is Emmaline Winchester. I likes the name Emmaline (very sweet, girlie and bit old fashion) and Winchester was named after a gun. Which make sense cause Emmy is a little white bullet when she does her zoomies.

Skeeter full name is Skeeter Wilkins. I just like the name Skeeter. Because Charlie and Emmy has a W middle name, of course Skeeter has to get one too :)

Micha - we wanted a name that was fitting for a husky and Micha is a Russian name.

Daisy - I had a lot of beagle names picked out but when we saw her we just knew she had to be Daisy.

Wisdom - I didn't name wiz, and I didn't like her name for ages but I love it now as it fits her perfectly. She was always going to have a W name as she was from the W litter. She gets Wizbang or Wiz for short!

Cooper Jay - Cooper because I liked the name and my nephew picked Jay for his second name as he thought it suited him. it does, he gets called Cooper Jay all the time!

Lacy Jayd - Lacy after a beautiful horse we had years ago and its such a pretty name and lacy was a petite 1.5 kilos as a tiny puppy. Jayd as I just liked it and wanted to stick with J theme for middle names.

Tully Josephine - Tully after Tully in the Paullina Simons Book and Josephine just because it was pretty like she was. She gets called Tully Jo, or TJ

Bronson Joseph - Bronson after Charles Bronson and it really suits him, I sometimes think he thinks he is Charles Bronson. I was tossing up on name when I first met Bron at the breeders when he was 5 weeks old and that night the movie Mr Magic was on TV so it had to be Bronson. And Joseph keeping with the J theme for second names. His nickname is Bronzie or BJ.

I also have 2 cats the oldest 21 is Holly, she doesnt have a middle name, she is an like a star that only has one name think Prince, Madonna, Cher etc etc. :laugh: She is the queen of the house. Then there is Bailey James, I just liked the name Bailey and thought such a beautiful distinguished looking boy needed a flash middle name like James.

DOL doggies sure have some awesome names!!

The story behind Charlie's and the rest of my crew name is...

As soon as I got Charlie, I knew that his name had to be Charlie but Charlie was such a common name that I wanted to give it more of a formal name so after playing around with names, Charles Wentworth got stuck.

Emmy's formal name is Emmaline Winchester. I likes the name Emmaline (very sweet, girlie and bit old fashion) and Winchester was named after a gun. Which make sense cause Emmy is a little white bullet when she does her zoomies.

Skeeter full name is Skeeter Wilkins. I just like the name Skeeter. Because Charlie and Emmy has a W middle name, of course Skeeter has to get one too :)

Glad I am not the only one who has same themed lettered names for middle names when I did it for Bailey 9 years ago everyone thought I was crazy but I thought what the heck I will never get to name children with middle names so why not my animals and so continued it on 3 years later when I got the dogs. I like it! I dont' really care about people calling me a crazy dog lady I guess if the cap fits! :laugh: