Do I Need A Copy Of Both The Parents' Health Check?

merikuri

Hi everyone,

My breeder told me that they are not issuing copies of both the parents' health check (hip, elbow, etc) as they had people misused these documents last time.

I had seen the health tests of both parents (the results were hand written instead of printed out on a form, is this fine?) and it's ok for me. My breeder also told me that I'm welcomed anytime to have a look at these health results in the future.

Just want to know if this is fine?

Is the pedigree of my puppy the most important documents to get?

What about the copies of parents' pedigree or it's not important as well?

Thanks in advance!

Sighting the documents is fine. There is no way I would issue puppy buyers with copies of health tests or pedigrees. You will get the original pedigree papers for your pup.

Edited by Florise

i never saw anything and trusted verbal representation.

My puppy has juvenile cataracts now, and i am still fighting to get her pedigree certificate after a year of purchase.

BTW, i have reason to believe my dog comes from a very good line.......her siblings are currently being shown.

Handwritten, no way.

I wouldn't settle for less then hard copies of offical paperwork eta yes some details may be handwritten as others have said but it needs to be on offical paperwork

Edited by Rebanne

My dogs hip and elbow scores are handwritten on the printed forms and signed by the scorer (Wyburn) not typed onto the form. All his details are also handwritten on the score sheet by me and it is signed by me and the vet taking the Xrays.

Edited by Janba

My dogs hip and elbow scores are handwritten on the printed forms and signed by the scorer (Wyburn) nit typed onto the form.

So are some of mine

As long as you sight them you should be fine. I don't hand out copies of my puppies parents results either but the puppy people are always welcome to see them.

Edited by Bjelkier

You shouldn't have to ask for starters.

Forms can vary from hand written to typed but should still be on official paperwork

Misuse of copies can happen & yes it does happen but shouldn't be a reason for you at the very least not to be shown them or given copies .

We do give copies after all its part of that puppies record & goes in the puppy folder

The simple reality is most of these dogs are listed on websites or other places with there health status so its no real secret .

You shouldn't have to ask for starters.

Forms can vary from hand written to typed but should still be on official paperwork

Misuse of copies can happen & yes it does happen but shouldn't be a reason for you at the very least not to be shown them or given copies .

We do give copies after all its part of that puppies record & goes in the puppy folder

The simple reality is most of these dogs are listed on websites or other places with there health status so its no real secret .

I give PDF copies of Cole's health tests to breeders enquiring about using him (who I would let use him) and to some people who have enquired where they can get a pup by him. I also assume that people who use him give copies to their puppy buyers.

why would you not give copies, particularly if asked?

If asked I'd happily give them out, I've nothing to hide I just don't put them in the puppy packs. I guess it's because not one breeder I've ever brought a dog from did so I didn't think it was all that important. My latest pet puppy people didn't even care about the pedigree papers or even want to see the health tests :shrug:

If asked I'd happily give them out, I've nothing to hide I just don't put them in the puppy packs. I guess it's because not one breeder I've ever brought a dog from did so I didn't think it was all that important. My latest pet puppy people didn't even care about the pedigree papers or even want to see the health tests :shrug:

I think it depends on the breed and the health tests. BCs have 3 DNA tests and I have done 3 clear to carrier matings so sighting the clear DNA test is important.

I think it depends on the breed and the health tests. BCs have 3 DNA tests and I have done 3 clear to carrier matings so sighting the clear DNA test is important.

I think it's always important to sight the parents results. I just saying it's not the end of the world if you don't give out copies in the puppy packs.

Edited by Bjelkier

Eye certificates are handwritten. I include all health certificates in puppy packs regardless - even if it's ignored maybe one owner will mention it to a mate looking for the same breed and slowly the news will spread :D

Edited by Sandra777

Our breeder supplied copies of both the sire and the dam's health tests, import papers and ANKC registration papers with the pedigree in our puppy pack; i was very appreciative of her transparency and attention to detail of our puppy folder - it's this kind of commitment that will lead me back to her when we want another pup.

How exactly would documents be "misused"?

I'm thinking that maybe the results were not all that crash hot and they have been spread about, to the owners disgust. I can't see how they could possibly be "misused". A copy of a pedigree could be used as false advertising, you see that a lot but there's a gazillion pedigrees on the net to choose from, should a scammer desire one.

I wouldn;t think twice about giving copies of health cert's to a puppy buyer, that are part and parcel of a puppy pack and if they requested to see them eatrlier, I'd happily send a copy.

How exactly would documents be "misused"?

I'm thinking that maybe the results were not all that crash hot and they have been spread about, to the owners disgust. I can't see how they could possibly be "misused". A copy of a pedigree could be used as false advertising, you see that a lot but there's a gazillion pedigrees on the net to choose from, should a scammer desire one.

I wouldn;t think twice about giving copies of health cert's to a puppy buyer, that are part and parcel of a puppy pack and if they requested to see them eatrlier, I'd happily send a copy.

Got it. I suppose the tests I do mean I wouldn't breed if they were something I'd be worried about dog world seeing because I'd be worried about it too.

If your puppy is a GSD from a registered breeder, our club code of ethics requires that we provide the information. We get a copy of the hand written results from Lavelle and the club gets a copy and they send us a certificate. Results are then reported annually in the clubs Breed Survey book.

I am sorry but no matter what breed you should get a copy even if the breeder writes copy on the paperwork.

All I know is that I provide copies of all relevant documents, and most breed clubs require their members to provide them.

FH