Promote Your Rescue Dogs

Hi everyone, I'm setting up a little blog to promote dog rescue in Victoria (or it could be statewide, will see how it goes). Just want to send you the link; I am aiming to profile a dog a day that needs rescue on the site, it's a fresh website and hopefully it will get more readership as time goes on, but I'm trying to help in a small way.

If you are interesting in featuring your dog on the site, please let me know. Would be good to have a nice photo of the dog and a little blurb about them. I can edit the photo to make it 'pop' more and if it's a particular breed, will include information about the breed of dog. Also looking to feature people who have themselves rescued a dog - their story and how rescuing a dog changed their lives, along with a little profile of their dog.

You can contact me on [email protected]

The link is:

http://www.humanrescuesdog.wordpress.com

Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey :) Can not believe I am the first to post (read your thread very briefly early am).

To be honest I am left feeling very dissapointed, no offence intended.

I think it is great that you are a passionate dog owner/lover and you are doing your best to assist shelter dogs. Swearing and some of your advice is 100% off for rescued pets IMO.

There could be a huge amount more advice offered on your site (and questions) in implementing a 'guide' for an owner/family to adopt from a shelter directly and what to expect. Normal settling in behaviour etc.

Have you thought about volunteering at your local shelter?

Hey :) Can not believe I am the first to post (read your thread very briefly early am).

I think it is great that you are a passionate dog owner/lover and you are doing your best to assist shelter dogs. Swearing and some of your advice is 100% off for rescued pets IMO.

There could be a huge amount more advice offered on your site (and questions) in implementing a 'guide' for an owner/family to adopt from a shelter directly and what to expect. Normal settling in behaviour etc.

Hey! Thanks so much for your feedback. I agree there is a huge amount that I could add eg guide for adoption. But bear in mind I only started the site yesterday! Would love feedback on what else you would like to see on the site. I am trying to keep it a little humorous, although I take it very seriously.

Hey! Thanks so much for your feedback. I agree there is a huge amount that I could add eg guide for adoption. But bear in mind I only started the site yesterday! Would love feedback on what else you would like to see on the site. I am trying to keep it a little humorous, although I take it very seriously.

Btw I am not sure that I gave any advice on rescued dogs... My post was really about some of the things I found challenging as a dog owner and what I found rewarding, rather than advice per se. Also did not find a lot of swearing other than saying a dogs wagging tail is the best reward after a shit day... Hehe :) sorry if any offence caused by that word , I do appreciate your feedback

I think you need to go back to the drawing board, I find it offensive and I'm no prude but really do you need to say "shit day" "screwed you over" and putting in Carl's quote, I would not want CPR listed on the site, it is rather unprofessional and yes the question is "do we want or need another site" we already have Pet Rescue, our own site, allclassified and Gum Tree.

I have many calls from families who look for a dog together and would hate for young children and many seniors to have to read this sort of thing, they hear it every day in their daily lives but "is it really necessary"? I don't think so.

These are my views only.

Maree

CPR

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate your comments, especially in terms of keeping the language clean - it is something easily fixed and I will clean up the page. As I said, it's only day 2 of the blog, and this is why I posted on the forum, to receive feedback. I certainly don't want to offend anyone.

I must say I'm surprised that people are questioning whether we need a new website and if I'm honest, found some of the feedback a little unfair. I think the more we can get the word out, the better. This is a blog, rather than a website - it will be a bit more personal and hopefully there will be more of a human connection. I'm also hoping to provide some education on the blog, which most of the websites eg petrescue fail to do as well.

I had some very constructive feedback about the sort of topics the blog could include eg a guide to adopting a dog, things to watch for, normal settling in behaviour. This sort of feedback is very useful and I fully intend to cover these topics as best as I can. All I am hoping is the blog will eventually inspire someone out there to rescue. I've always found these forums to be incredibly supportive and hopefully it will continue to be a source of inspiration and support to me.

There can never be too many sites declaring the wonderfulness of sharing one's life with a dog (or more than one even!)

Don't give up just because some might be a little disparaging at this stage... take on board the positives and go with it, OK? The negatives will sort themselves out... *grin*

T.

There can never be too many sites declaring the wonderfulness of sharing one's life with a dog (or more than one even!)

Don't give up just because some might be a little disparaging at this stage... take on board the positives and go with it, OK? The negatives will sort themselves out... *grin*

T.

I disagree. What is the point of half a dozen (or more) sites all saying the same thing? I know that if I had a dog up on, say, PetRescue, I wouldn't be happy seeing him or her on some unknown person's blog. Some information may be changed, left out, added to - whatever.

You know as well, if not better, than I that some people in the rescue/rehome business will rehome a dog anywhere, but the majority of people want to know where their dog is being featured and what is being written about him/her.

I would want to be in complete control of whatever information is going out on any dog I have for rehoming.

How many sites can people visit? There is such a thing as too many choices.

T.

Thank you for the support :) It gave me courage to add another post to my blog, about my dog Charlie, please feel free to read. I don't actually think the blog is anything like the existing sites. I would certainly never put up a photo of a rescue dog without that organisation's permission and as I said, it would be up to the individual organisations to write a blurb about that dog, so that it's fully within their control what they want to say. I have links to petrescue etc on the blog and they have already received a few hits as a result of the blog. I can't see how that is a bad thing.

If someone does not want to promote their rescue organisation on the blog, I fully respect that. In the interim, I'm going to continue to write things that I hope people will find useful.

I think the site looks good :) And I'm guessing the dogs featured would be on voluntary basis and she doesn't intent to just repost photos and information without permission. Plus, like poochiemama said, she's adding contents to help educate new rescue owners. So it's not just same old thing being rehashed.

Cross-advertising is a great idea IMO. I thought it's done a lot actually. I've seen many dogs being advertised on different websites, from PetRescue, the rescue homepage and various FB groups and then reposted on friends' pages as well.

Thanks littlesev :) ! I've just posted a very personal account of my dog Charlie - it's terrifying to hit 'publish' and see things so close to your heart go out into the blogosphere, so the support is reassuring. thanks for taking the time.

T.

I disagree. What is the point of half a dozen (or more) sites all saying the same thing? I know that if I had a dog up on, say, PetRescue, I wouldn't be happy seeing him or her on some unknown person's blog. Some information may be changed, left out, added to - whatever.

You know as well, if not better, than I that some people in the rescue/rehome business will rehome a dog anywhere, but the majority of people want to know where their dog is being featured and what is being written about him/her.

I would want to be in complete control of whatever information is going out on any dog I have for rehoming.

How many sites can people visit? There is such a thing as too many choices.

I'm of the opinion that the more sites we have out there giving the right message about rescue, the better DD... and poochiemama says she'll only post links to particular dogs with permission.

Dog only knows that we have WAY too many people posting misleading info... time to counter it some methinks... and poochiemama is doing great by asking for a bit of advice as to how to get the RIGHT message out there in her own way. Kudos to you poochiemama!

T.

One of my favourite dog blogs is Yes Biscuit. It's an interesting, often provocative blog about rescue which regularly features a dog or cat in need of rescue.

The writing is good, the subjects engaging and the discussions in the comments free and frank. The quality of discourse brings the readership and that has helped a number of poundies find a home or rescue.

Write the blog you want to write, be interesting and engaging and if you want to feature critters in need of homes go right ahead. :-)

The more good exposure the better as far as I am concerned.

Thank you Aphra, I've checkout the website for Yes Biscuit and agree that the content is great . I'm going to focus on producing new content for the blog on a regular basis. Please keep checking back to see the progress if you have time. Fingers crossed it will all work out ;)

Edited by poochiemama

A blog promoting rescue is good, but what you have written doesnt apply to all dog owners, its more about owning a labrador. It would totally put me off dog ownership.

Maybe you could promote a particular type of dogs. Maybe you could get involved with a specific group and blog about what they do.

If allbreed rescue isnt your area of knowledge, then its a bit disingenuous to be writing on the subject. But if you get involved with the work of dog rescue you will have a story to tell that everyone can learn something from.

I like it :) I'd be interested in seeing some real-life stories about rescue dogs and how they've settled in with their new families, the issues the families came across etc.

I got an adult dog from the pound and it was not all hearts and roses from the start. We had to start from scratch with the basic training and house rules. A lot of people do not realise the work that goes into having a well balanced dog.