Dog Jumper Workshops (from Old Tracksuits)

Updated thread title, original post below

updated with poster for event and call for tracksuits!! drop off is chippendale, and first workshop is May 5!

Details for the workshop if you are available to help by bringing along old tracksuits (have your own collection point, etc, these can be brought in any time leading up to the workshop) can be found on the facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/490730210980018/

With the first workshop being on Sunday 5th May 2:30pm-4:30pm.

The workshop will be held at Sew Make Create - it is a free workshop as it is a volunteer activity, and all tracksuits made will go to poundies/rescue.

Address is - 8 Shepherd Street, Chippendale NSW 2008.

P76564101.jpg

P76564000.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

original post:

I am helping put together a workshop with a friend who runs a creative shop/workshop.

At the moment we're putting together the format for the workshop/s and poster/s calling out for a call for donations of old tracksuits to make coats for poundies and rescues. The idea/pattern I got from this forum, I just can't remember who posted it originally, so full credit to whomever this was for the inspiration! The shopowner is doing this for free as a dog lover (and because she has a rescue keen friend... me!), at most for there is a minimum donation if we need to be able to ensure people turn up (if bookings are taken), which would be donated towards rescue, but we are looking at a 'drop in and learn, take some home to make it and drop it back off' sort of workshop. TBC

So the first thing we want to do is identify willing recipients - rescue, shelters, pounds that would benefit from coat donations. We are after contact person/s to discuss volume they are able to accept / would like. Ideally, if there is anyone that is happy to be a contact (volunteer) for more than one rescue/shelter/pound, that would be awesome.

Deliveries - we will either deliver / post / or coordinate transport of coats and initial thoughts were for country pounds, as I often see dogmad's call for coats here on DOL.

For anyone who wants to donate old trackies (washed), we are after all sizes. Dropoff is in Chippendale (opposite Broadway shopping center). We're not quite at the stage of taking donations just yet, but we're not far off.

So I am seeking thoughts from the DOL rescue community, to identify which sizes / breeds most need coats so we cater correctly, and also to identify where to send them etc.

If you are in Sydney and interested in attending, feel free to drop me a PM, or watch this space..! :)

Edited by Panto

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any old trackies (god forbid, I'd look more like the Michelin Man than I already do :cry::cry: ) but what about flannellette sheets and the like?

ETA: I gave a bolt of yellow flannellette to Dogmad sometime ago; I don't know what happened to that.

Edited by Danny's Darling

I don't have any old trackies (god forbid, I'd look more like the Michelin Man than I already do :cry::cry: ) but what about flannellette sheets and the like?

ETA: I gave a bolt of yellow flannellette to Dogmad sometime ago; I don't know what happened to that.

I don't have any either, but I will be going to op shops to get some, the charity gets the money, the dogs get the coats win-win :thumbsup:

I remember that thread but can't remember who the poster was either, just remember what a fabulous idea it was. I am currently collecting blankets and sheets from my local op-shop which I hope to send out to the country pounds like Broken Hill and West Wyalong. Don't know how I'll get them there but I'll worry about that later BUT I'll definately ask them for trackie pants as well.

Well done Panto, the poundies will be grateful :thumbsup:

I buy any fleece and ribbing fabric and steel bowls that I can when I am doing my op shop visits. I also buy fleece and wool when it is on sale at Spotlight and Lincraft. Previously I've used all this to sew and knit coats for rescue. This year I've branched out and will be focussed on making coats and replacement bedding for the pei (and large pei) at Peiradise and will be knitting and sewing made to order coats to sell to help cover the vet bills. I have been very lucky to have had a whole heap of patterns bequeathed to me including for making the 4 leg pj's for dogs. I've also had 2 dog coat knitting patterns that cover small up to huge sizes shared with me, which has really helped.

The other idea I will share with you is getting supporters to commit to doing a letterbox drop in their local area of say 50 to 100 small pamphlets just before Spring, calling for clean but unwanted/damaged linen and fabric (including doonas, blankets, pillows, towels, sheets). I regularly get damaged/half chewed doonas and pillows - wash the stuffing and use it to then make new dog beds for rescue and the dogs really love their new squishy beds! Old blankets and fabric can be used to make bedding, cat slings and dog coats for the following winter. (as long as storage isn't an issue in the interim) So many people chuck out damaged linens and as we know, rescue can go through loads of it each year.

It's kind of a cycle up here that I am hoping to get into so we are more prepared for winter before the cold weather actually hits. I now have the supplies to start knitting and making coats in April and will be calling on our local supporters to assist. Then come spring I should have enough donated materials from the letterbox drop to create and store for the following year. There is nothing stopping other groups doing something similiar - there are even no sew coats and dog beds (I have patterns for both but just think rectangle for the dog beds!).

So Panto this is a great idea and I hope it is successful! Lots of people would support rescue if they knew of other ways to do it rather than donating money (which they may not have to spare). Good luck!!!!!

I hope it goes well!

The other idea I will share with you is getting supporters to commit to doing a letterbox drop in their local area of say 50 to 100 small pamphlets just before Spring, calling for clean but unwanted/damaged linen and fabric (including doonas, blankets, pillows, towels, sheets). I regularly get damaged/half chewed doonas and pillows - wash the stuffing and use it to then make new dog beds for rescue and the dogs really love their new squishy beds! Old blankets and fabric can be used to make bedding, cat slings and dog coats for the following winter. (as long as storage isn't an issue in the interim) So many people chuck out damaged linens and as we know, rescue can go through loads of it each year.

I did this a few years ago and ended up doing three trips to rescue groups with a car piled high with doonas, sheets, pillowcases, towels, etc etc and I jept getting getting donations for a long time which I drop around to dogmad. Hopefully they are going to the pounds she visits :shrug:

I also went down to the local Salvos shop to ask for the towels and bedding they couldn't sell. I did this twice: the first time they were willing, the second time, the woman was very furtive about it saying they were told not to give me anything, and then I was told by a neighbour that the shop had a big basket out the front selling dog bedding - LOL. At least they were prompted into another money (very little) raising opportuntiy. :thumbsup:

But the neighbourhood letterbox drop can produce absolutely amazing results.

Great idea, trakkies make great jumpers!

I am happy to be the (volunteer) contact for Hawkesbury Pound :)

Thanks shmoo!! :thumbsup:

We are working on the assumption that these coats are a 'use once' sort of scenario, and can be either recycled (maybe some places can wash and reuse) or sent home with the adopter if they so choose. This might be a how long is a piece of string type question, but how many coats (S/M/L) do you think you might go through in a winter?

I did this a few years ago and ended up doing three trips to rescue groups with a car piled high with doonas, sheets, pillowcases, towels, etc etc and I jept getting getting donations for a long time which I drop around to dogmad. Hopefully they are going to the pounds she visits :shrug:

I also went down to the local Salvos shop to ask for the towels and bedding they couldn't sell. I did this twice: the first time they were willing, the second time, the woman was very furtive about it saying they were told not to give me anything, and then I was told by a neighbour that the shop had a big basket out the front selling dog bedding - LOL. At least they were prompted into another money (very little) raising opportuntiy. :thumbsup:

But the neighbourhood letterbox drop can produce absolutely amazing results.

they certainly do make it to rescue!! She distributes it to the needy fosters/rescues wherever she can, and I have also been able to collect a huge collection (filled my car!) for me to take to Griffith & Temora pounds. The rangers are incredibly grateful for the donations and it tides them over the winter, it's very much needed and makes the dogs more comfortable :thumbsup:

I buy any fleece and ribbing fabric and steel bowls that I can when I am doing my op shop visits. I also buy fleece and wool when it is on sale at Spotlight and Lincraft. Previously I've used all this to sew and knit coats for rescue. This year I've branched out and will be focussed on making coats and replacement bedding for the pei (and large pei) at Peiradise and will be knitting and sewing made to order coats to sell to help cover the vet bills. I have been very lucky to have had a whole heap of patterns bequeathed to me including for making the 4 leg pj's for dogs. I've also had 2 dog coat knitting patterns that cover small up to huge sizes shared with me, which has really helped.

It's kind of a cycle up here that I am hoping to get into so we are more prepared for winter before the cold weather actually hits. I now have the supplies to start knitting and making coats in April and will be calling on our local supporters to assist. Then come spring I should have enough donated materials from the letterbox drop to create and store for the following year. There is nothing stopping other groups doing something similiar - there are even no sew coats and dog beds (I have patterns for both but just think rectangle for the dog beds!).

So Panto this is a great idea and I hope it is successful! Lots of people would support rescue if they knew of other ways to do it rather than donating money (which they may not have to spare). Good luck!!!!!

I hope it goes well!

The letterbox drop is a grand idea!

At this stage we are sticking to coats with the trackies, mostly to keep our targets manageable and so the project doesn't grow out of proportion and out of our control. My friend is still running her business and teaching workshops which she does to earn a living from, and I am doing this in my spare time so to speak. I love the idea of a letterbox drop though, next time a month out from my next trip going past pounds, I will be doing this!

eta: oh! her shop has a decent following on facebook - I think half of them follow the shop because of the little shop dog, a pug x pekinese? she has regulars that come by the shop just to say hello to her dog.

Edited by Panto

I hope it goes well Panto and that your car overflows with trackie coats! Hey you should try and think up a cool name for them - I know that the pyjamas I will be making are going to be called 'pei-jays' (Made in Peiradise!). Maybe something like Winter Warmies for you and the workshop? (I don't have my creative hat on this arvo!).

I'm glad to learn that, Panto. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I worked for a large Sydney pound some years ago and all the coats that were made especially for the dogs, knitted and sewn and some really beautiful, were put up for sale in the veterinary hospital attached and rarely made it onto the bodies of the pound dogs :mad .

Luckily that place has had new management since then, so I don't know what happens these days.

Oh DD I hope it raised money for the poundies and some of the needies got the coats! It's the main reason we're doing old tracksuit style ones, so they get used on the poundies rather than being sold etc, noone will feel too precious with them.

Thanks PS - and yes! we need a catchy name and working on it!! Help pls ppl??

We were using Dog Coats for Dog Rescue whilst nutting out the workshop but it really isn't catchy at all. LOVE the pei-jamas idea!!

Winter warmies for pound needies?

What a fabulous idea! Congrats Panto :thumbsup:

Love the idea of the coats going home with new owners! The owners who we have given coats to at HP in the past are always thrilled and very grateful. One less thing to buy :)