Felt Weird

Guest muttrus

I'm still a fan of having some personal space and having my own home for me and mine, not as a viewing arena for potential adopters. Rescue runs my daily life enough as it is and I'm OK with keeping this space for family, friends and a long suffering hubby.

I understand that not everyone chooses to work that way which is alright. You have to do what works for you. Though I have had people here incl other rescuers, there's nothing interesting.

Couldn't agree more about one option a rescuer might decide on. For the reasons you've given. But, as you say, it's what works for each individual.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I do for meet and greets. After some email and/or phone discussions, I have people come to my place to visit the dog they're interested in. I tell them that it's our policy to take a copy of each visitor's drivers licence and I ask them if they have any issues with that policy. I do take a copy when they arrive, then it's out of the way. No one has had an issue with it so far, although I must admit that on only a couple of occasions I've been glad to have done it (you know how you get that 'funny' feeling sometimes).

I've met some absolutely lovely people through these meet and greets and some have even become friends. The majority of visitors are absolutely genuine and I get a fair bit of information about prospective visitors beforehand through emails and phone calls. Sometimes it's not even necessary for them to come over because we've established that the dog they're interested in won't be a good fit from what they've told me.

As far as people coming to my home, I don't have anything to hide (and even less to steal ..lol). My house is always tidy and well presented as I think people see that as a good reflection of the rescue group itself. People can also see the security measures that are in place so if anyone's thinking about doing anything dodgy they know not to bother.

I don't get out and about much these days and I must admit that the meet and greets here pretty much become a happy social occasion for everyone. I've even had return visitors, purely for the sake of catching up and having a cuddle with the dogs :)