Felt Weird

Guest muttrus

I've been lucky so far but with nuttiness increasing at a rate that suggests some kind of squirrel plot to take over the world, I'm wary of how much of my home/life potential adopters get to see. I have a fully fenced front yard and they're welcome to meet dogs there. If they want to see where the dogs live, they can look at outside areas- I draw the line at strangers coming into my house and looking at how many dog beds I have in my bedroom- and I feel this is perfectly fair. They're welcome to meet previous adopters (if those adopters consent) to discuss their experiences so I'm not going to feel obligated to have them in my house or near my family (especially if they seem like animal rights nutters, I'd prefer my family to remain unharmed and unharassed).

It's sad that people can't all be trusted but I suppose the same applies everywhere else in life.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a call from a lady who said she was a police woman at one of the stations in Canberra and wanted to come and meet some of my dogs, I explained that I did not have people coming to my place as a security issue because I live alone and don't want people coming here, she was a tad annoyed and said "I don't think I'll bother if you can't trust the police who can you trust"

I don't discrimate, it wouldn't matter if it was the pope I still wouldn't have anyone here....

Maree

CPR

I had a call from a lady who said she was a police woman at one of the stations in Canberra and wanted to come and meet some of my dogs, I explained that I did not have people coming to my place as a security issue because I live alone and don't want people coming here, she was a tad annoyed and said "I don't think I'll bother if you can't trust the police who can you trust"

I don't discrimate, it wouldn't matter if it was the pope I still wouldn't have anyone here....

Maree

CPR

people can say anything over the phone ,I'd be inclinded to think a police officer would get that , makes you think this person was not police officer

Maree

CPR

I wouldn't have the Pope in my house ...

It isn't just a trust issue, it's a personal boundary issue.

The main reason I moved from working at home to working in at the office was the ability to have an appropriate setting for personal interviews and dog meets.

But most of the interviewing was done in the adopters home and before they were approved to adopt.

Adopting a dog is about the dog's qualities and its needs and the new owner's qualities and their needs. There is nothing useful that can be gained by allowing the adopter to find out personal information about the rescue staff.

For potential adopters, the condition of the dog is often the best way to assess the quality of its care, and information about the ethics of the rescuer can be discovered by simply asking questions. I'm not sure what they expect to find out by seeing in somebody's bedroom.

I agree GM. Thanks for posting Muttus, I have not had any personal "in home" experiences like these though I have had some seriously odd applications. I spend a lot of time doing a fair bit of legwork, prior to any visits.

Speaking with their vet can be handy :)

I am sorry you feel so creeped out :( I agree always trust your intuition.

My problem is that people are here for so long! I always invite them inside, make tea/coffee (even cakes or sandwiches :o ) I am having a break from fostering though this is an eye opener for me.

Maree

CPR

I wouldn't have the Pope in my house ...

:laugh: I remember when the Pope visited Aust, he stayed a few minuites down the road from here and we locals were all told if we stopped our cars on the street we would be arrested :eek:

This has made me realise I have boundary issues in the other direction. I know potential adopters are vetted by Ams before they come to meet and greet any fosters at my place but once they arrive I don't care what they do or where they look! And our meet and greets often take place in our lounge area as it is big and there is air cond and we can confine/comfort the foster if they are a bit unsure of what is going on. I guess we are lucky in that one of our dogs is also the household security guard so if someone was wandering around doing anything remotely suspicious she'd be telling the world about it and they'd probably be soiling their pants! I don't even bother putting my handbag and wallet somewhere discrete so this is a timely reminder to me that not everyone can be trusted. I have obviously been very lucky so far.

Yes, try to guard your time boundaries as well as your space boundaries.

Sometimes rescue doesn't seem like work because you are meeting lovely people and talking all about lovely dogs. It's fun, and overall, most people can be trusted I think.

But long term, you need to be sure you protect your private family time and private family space, or you will go a little bit mad. :)

Breeders are used to other breeders making fake inquiries so I always respond to inquiries (rescue or breed) as if there were a panel of my peers listening/reading/watching.

With rescue I think like anything else it can attract the not so mentally healthy, and one of the usual malfunctions is needing to believe that no-one else does it as well as you. I'm not sure why animal rights people would target rescue organisations ahead of breeders, I'd put it down to politics or just your average nutter. Sometimes chronic tire kickers do this too.

Breeders are used to other breeders making fake inquiries so I always respond to inquiries (rescue or breed) as if there were a panel of my peers listening/reading/watching.

With rescue I think like anything else it can attract the not so mentally healthy, and one of the usual malfunctions is needing to believe that no-one else does it as well as you. I'm not sure why animal rights people would target rescue organisations ahead of breeders, I'd put it down to politics or just your average nutter. Sometimes chronic tire kickers do this too.

Partially because they are a softer target. For example, if an animal rights group told a breeder that they were doing the wrong thing, the breeder would tell the animal rights nutter to f*** off and not only would it not impact on their business, they'd almost certainly have the full support of other greyhound breeders. If the animal rights group instead chose to attack a greyhound rescue, the rescue has to be very careful how they respond, lest they be perceived as being one of the "enemy" or their reputation is damaged with the general public.

Besides being softer targets, I honestly couldn't tell you why. I've have plenty of run-ins with the deliciously nut-flavoured Greyhound Racing - Don't Bet on It people and their beef seems to vary from one day to the next. Sometimes it's because I won't rehome dangerous dogs (this is apparently a bad thing) other times they just make random shit up (like the most recent time where they told their followers that I took people on tours of racing kennels :confused: ).

As I said to a few rescue friends about the issue.. crazy is crazy and crazy doesn't need a reason to be crazy. And this is why I won't involve myself in animal rights causes. I'm allergic to nuts and all that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

And yet again :wave:

Try it again, go on. You'll get a thread of your very own....oh that's right you've already had one deleted because it was too close to naming you. :laugh:

You're a sick sad woman, a bully and a liar. Stop wasting my time.

Edited by Powerlegs

If your property and how you conduct yourself and look after your dogs is all ok then nothing to worry about.

Not saying the OP, don't know them but there is a crazy amount of rescue folk whose properties are disgusting and even how they look after their dogs is disgusting so again if a person is doing everything they should be no drama lamas huh? Next time as them if they would like a tour of your property.

Sad to say and people aren't going to like this, many a rescue folk don't want people in their homes not because of trust issues but because their homes are not in a state fit for the public to see.

Have been involved in Rescue for 10 years and always have had people come to my home, my home is clean and tidy and I've never had anyone steal anything or intimidate me or another BS reason not to have people to my home.

Edited by sas

I agree with your comments Sas, but there are some who are genuinely concerned about security too I'd imagine.

I've also been into some filthy homes of rescuers. Each and every time I'm horrified. I've been to one that wasn't fit for humans or animals. I could barely breathe the stench was so overwhelming. :eek:

When I ran my rescue I visited the potential home first for the meet and greet. If the adopters were serious about adopting and after the visit I felt they were a match they then came to my home to complete paperwork and collect the dog. I'd already been to theirs so I knew where they lived and his made me less wary of them. Essentially they were still strangers but we were linked a little more than your average stranger I guess you could say.

My home then, as it is now, is clean and tidy also. I used to have people express surprise at how clean and fresh smelling my home was when I ran the rescue. They usually made comments of 'wow, are you sure you run a rescue' because it was always so clean. :laugh: but then Im germ phobic and very, very house proud. A good combination really in the rescue world.

Edited by ~Anne~

I'm still a fan of having some personal space and having my own home for me and mine, not as a viewing arena for potential adopters. Rescue runs my daily life enough as it is and I'm OK with keeping this space for family, friends and a long suffering hubby.

I understand that not everyone chooses to work that way which is alright. You have to do what works for you. Though I have had people here incl other rescuers, there's nothing interesting.

My post above was aimed directly at a person who is one of those nutter rescuers I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I say to her now: You are a hypocrite, I know what you're doing, it's not clever and it's getting boring. ;-) Go away.

Edited by Powerlegs

while the dogs are in my back yard I do meet and greets in the front yard .its all fenced in .No usually I can"t take the dog to them due to me doing puppies and they see them as a litter plus I don"t drive :) normally everything is good and sometimes if the dog is older we go to the park around the corner just this time it was weird of course they weren"t allowed inside or anything but they did ask more questions than most others do .

AHHH well another thing to look back on and learn from I guess .And the fact we are home based carers not having kennels or anything .I even have an outdoor table and chair set up for those such as older people can sit or for paperwork etc

So you don't do home visits for any of your dogs?

Maree

CPR

If Id known I would have not worn my daggy puppy slobber covered clothes :D

I do hope Im wrong and being silly for if anyone wants to come here they are more than welcome don"t need to be sly about it.My facebook page has everything on it so if you first see it then come here its easy to tell nothing is fake.Sure I have 8 dogs here at the moment but the yard is clean they didn"t bark the lawns are all mowed gardens weeded the dogs have water toys beds etc while I do meet and greets in the front yard as my dogs are out the back .They do sleep out the back which has higher fences a covered deck area lawn gardens etc

I was myself answered all their questions. I pride myself on having no cages just a family home enviroment --as our dogs are vaccinated before coming to me and not from pounds we don"t have a big quarrentine set up .

IF it is true I wonder what they thought?

Do you want to come to my place :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

And again.

Our e-news is for adopters and supporters not your moles.

Piss off.

btw none of this is directed at muttrus who started this thread ages ago.

I refer directly to someone who reads DOL avidly in case her name is mentioned.

I'm talking about one specific "rescuer" (in the broadest sense of the word) who cannot move on with her life.

Fact is, if this crazy with a busted moral compass has refused to let go it's her own issue. But it wastes my time and it's clearly a sickness. She needs to get help.

Edited by Powerlegs