Pet Therapy Program

huski

Hi guys

We (K9Pro) have been working with the charity Boystown to put together a new pet therapy program to help improve literacy skills and self esteem of disadvantaged children. The pet therapy program will involve a team of volunteers and their dogs visiting the San Miguel Family Centre, a service of BoysTown, once a week. The kids will be able to do things such as read to the dogs one on one in a relaxing and stress free environment, help us train the dogs by reading training instructions to the handlers and learning how to behave correctly around dogs.

Further details are on our blog here. We would love to hear from anyone who is in the area or can get to the centre (the centre is located in North Richmond) who feels they have a dog suitable for therapy work and might be interested in volunteering.

You'd need to be available regularly on a week day afternoon. Every dog participating needs to pass an official temperament test (conducted by Steve Courtney) to be eligible for the program. There are no costs associated with this, but not every dog will be eligible.

Be sure to let us know if you are interested! We are about to head off to the centre for the rest of the afternoon to conduct a dog safety course for a group of the kids there, but I will be around to respond to queries tonight.

Any idea how long you would be needed in the afternoon?

I was thinking my bully would be ideal she is so chilled, she did pass the temp test for the gov training in schools job, i just declined the position myself due to commitments with the kids.

Would she scare them tho?

I don't own a crate either, but know she likes them, she goes in and flops down everytime she see's one :laugh:

Hey Juice,

A lot of the kids told us today when we ran the canine safety course that they have owned bull breeds before. We had our young Malinois Wisdom there today and none of them were scared of her either, they were super excited and keen to learn how to approach her safely so they could pat her. We could really see from spending time with the kids today how much a program like this would benefit them, a lot of them really love dogs and you can see how involving dogs would be a great way for them to learn.

Edited by huski

Oow I would love to do this with my Cavalier....he loves kids ..I'm in the inner west though...but it's a doable drive! As I used to live just outside Penrithnand drove in to the Inner West regularly..I'm a reading the blog!!

I would get Skeeter to do this but I don't think he is old enough or will pass the temp test. He is a bit crazy and noisy, and he is bit too excited still and even though he loves kids and is crate/mate trained. Knowing him, he will probably want to read the book to the kid instead of the kid reading to him...

But I've passed it on to a few Samoyed people I know that have pretty chilled Samoyed and will be great to do the job.

Guest donatella

I was thinking my bully would be ideal she is so chilled, she did pass the temp test for the gov training in schools job, i just declined the position myself due to commitments with the kids.

I don't own a crate either, but know she likes them, she goes in and flops down everytime she see's one :laugh:

Sounds like she would be perfect to educate the future generation about how beautiful and placid bullys can be :thumbsup:

Is it a specific/set day each week? If so, which day?

I'm not entirely sure one of mine would be suitable, he might be too young (12 months), but he's extremely quiet and placid, but super loving and friendly and cuddly at the same time. He's not mat trained, but he's lap trained :laugh:

It's not a specific day each week if you don't want it to be, we have a lot of flexibility in the program as Boystown are very pro active in helping their kids, they bend over backwards and do a great job.

We have a young German Shepherd in the program so too young isn't a problem, unlike other therapy programs we wont just be reading, there will be kids reading training sheets to handlers, outside play etc, it is very flexible.

Sounds like she would be perfect to educate the future generation about how beautiful and placid bullys can be :thumbsup:

I second this. Here's hoping, juice, that your bully girl makes it into the program.

BTW Great program ... congrats to all concerned.

Edited by mita

bit sad :( just mapped it, 2hr journey each way sadly the fuel cost are just too high atm. otherwise I'd have a lowchen who simply loves kids and people... if theres a program like this up central coast way I'd love to give it a go!

good luck everyone it sounds like a wonderful cause