Backing Up Photos On Holidays

SammieS

Hello,

I have a Canon 7D (although I'd love to get the smaller EOS M for travelling as its lighter) and will take photos in RAW + JPG, and we're going to NZ. I've never been OS before so am wondering what everyone's advice is regarding backing up photos on holidays? Do you take many many memory cards or do you offload your photos from your camera each day and reuse 4-5 cards instead? I was originally thinking backing up the photos to the ipad from the camera but I'm not sure how this works or if its reliable. What does everyone else do?

Also, what lens' do you prefer to take on holidays and do you have a specific bag that you take? We'll be self-driving so I'm thinking that I'll need to get a backpack as my crumpler side stachel or jo's tote won't cut it!

Finally, do you take your camera with you in your hand luggage?

Off to organise my passport now :)

SammieS

I would just take more cards. Do you really need RAW + jpeg? Just for space reasons.

If I had to take one lens, it would be the 50mm, it takes up no space - but I'm not sure what you have. Also, you have to consider what you will be taking pics of. I would take all my lenses (24, 50, 85 and 105), but they aren't big zooms, so I can get away with it.

I always take my camera and lenses on as hand luggage. I have a Kelly Moore backpack/satchel that I use now.

When we went OS a few years ago we took an iPad to put our photos on. The iPad was also useful for other things (e.g. GPS, internet access etc etc) but we mainly got it for photo backup. It worked very well as a solution. That's the limit of my technical knowledge so I can't actually say how it worked, just that it did work - my hubby is the resident IT whiz.... He put all his photos on it in RAW.

I emailed him and this is what he said. Seems that memory cards might be the best way to go these days after all:

"You need a special adaptor to get the photos from the card/camera onto the iPad (e.g. this kind of thing). From memory the in-built photos app on the iPad will import them – no special software needed.

These days memory cards are pretty cheap and iPads only have up to 64G of storage (I think you can get 128G ones now too), so if you take lots of raw photos it'll fill up pretty quickly, I suspect.

Probably best off these days with a series of smaller memory cards and treating them like film – fill them up and then put them away until you get home".

A friend of mine has a portable hard drive thingy that he can download photos to straight from his camera - it also has a small screen on it so you can see the pics...

Personally, I'd get a few extra memory cards - they travel well, and they are lightweight.

T.

I don't bother with RAW+jpeg. I only shoot RAW; you might prefer jpeg, though I'd hate to not have the data later.

I take a portable hard drive. They're cheap now and very light. I personally don't like extra cards - too small, too easily lost, too easy to forget which ones have been used. I just can't be bothered with all that :) I also have my laptop almost every time I travel so the first copy gets popped on there.

What lenses do you have? What types of things do you like to take photos of?

I usually carry a body and lens then check everything else. I have insurance so am not overly stressed about putting anything in my luggage that I don't need right away.

I don't bother with RAW+jpeg. I only shoot RAW; you might prefer jpeg, though I'd hate to not have the data later.

I take a portable hard drive. They're cheap now and very light. I personally don't like extra cards - too small, too easily lost, too easy to forget which ones have been used. I just can't be bothered with all that :) I also have my laptop almost every time I travel so the first copy gets popped on there.

What lenses do you have? What types of things do you like to take photos of?

I usually carry a body and lens then check everything else. I have insurance so am not overly stressed about putting anything in my luggage that I don't need right away.

Thanks kja, I figure the scenery would be great to photograph but we're also going to do a whale watching tour... so my big zoomie one would be good for that... my lenses are: 50mm, 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 and I don't think i'd take my 50mm macro.