Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

Steve maybe you could chuck in a few foster carer courses too? :)

Cute - we can do that but I think we can do better than that as well so its not just a band aid. But I need more info.

hehe I just mean so the first few on board are pre-armed with something. ;-) Keeps morale up when you have a couple of successes at the start.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got all of that stuff handy - also a list of people who have already stated they would like to do some volunteer work in SA with dogs I could contact though Ive no clue about the geography .Need to know if they have approvals for fundraising as well so we know how far we can go and what type of fundraising to help them to get to a point where they can have people paid rather than just relying on volunteers .Im up to my eyeballs in the awards so cant afford too much time to track them down but if anyone knows them Im happy to have a chat and see what they need and how we can help. Julie 0269276707

Julie, thank you! :)

The geography is a bit of a bugger. They are 2.5 hours out of Adelaide CBD in a fairly remote area and it seems a lot of the people out there are quite happy to dump their unwanted dogs on them but not so willing to help them out.

I have sent them a message with your details, I hope they consider your offer.

Edited by BlueyLove

Ive got all of that stuff handy - also a list of people who have already stated they would like to do some volunteer work in SA with dogs I could contact though Ive no clue about the geography .Need to know if they have approvals for fundraising as well so we know how far we can go and what type of fundraising to help them to get to a point where they can have people paid rather than just relying on volunteers .Im up to my eyeballs in the awards so cant afford too much time to track them down but if anyone knows them Im happy to have a chat and see what they need and how we can help. Julie 0269276707

The geography is a bit of a bugger. They are 2.5 hours out of Adelaide CBD in a fairly remote area and it seems a lot of the people out there are quite happy to dump their unwanted dogs on them but not so willing to help them out.

Can you give me some town names which are in the general area so I can have a look and see if we have listed anyone who is ready to jump in and help around where you are?

Wakefield electorate covers an area of approximately 6407 sq km from Salisbury in the northern suburbs of Adelaide to Clare in the Clare Valley, 135 km north of Adelaide. The main suburbs include Elizabeth, Salisbury (part), Craigmore and Munno Para. The towns of Virginia, Gawler, Port Wakefield (part), Balaklava, Clare, Kapunda, Riverton, Mallala, Freeling, Tarlee and Williamstown are also included in this division.

Here's a start on some town names, Steve

Can you give me some town names which are in the general area so I can have a look and see if we have listed anyone who is ready to jump in and help around where you are?

Barmera, Glossop, Berri, Loxton, Waikerie, Renmark, Paringa are the closest towns of a reasonable size.

I am not associated in any way with Moorook other than adopting a dog from them. I'm about 3-3.5 hours away from them, otherwise I would have already put my hand up to volunteer.

Wakefield electorate covers an area of approximately 6407 sq km from Salisbury in the northern suburbs of Adelaide to Clare in the Clare Valley, 135 km north of Adelaide. The main suburbs include Elizabeth, Salisbury (part), Craigmore and Munno Para. The towns of Virginia, Gawler, Port Wakefield (part), Balaklava, Clare, Kapunda, Riverton, Mallala, Freeling, Tarlee and Williamstown are also included in this division.

Here's a start on some town names, Steve

These are areas covered by the Wakefield electorate which is the area that Mark Aldridge covers. Moorook doesn't fall into that area. The closest town in that electorate is probably Kapunda which is about 150kms from Moorook, still closer than Adelaide though :)

Edited by BlueyLove

The vile crap that I have seen on facebpook pages from others heavily involved in rescue is absolutely disgusting and slanderous, accusations that a few others involved in rescue "caused the raid" is just plain BS. Making these statements and spreading vicious rumours shows me what many rescues in SA have become. I am absolutely appalled at the language and behaviour of these so called adults - they have been seen to be more feral than many of their animal counterparts

Make sure your own backyards and ethics are beyond reproach before you have the audacity to criticise others who actually do the right thing.

Edited by behluka

The vile crap that I have seen on facebpook pages from others heavily involved in rescue is absolutely disgusting and slanderous, accusations that a few others involved in rescue "caused the raid" is just plain BS. Making these statements and spreading vicious rumours shows me what many rescues in SA have become. I am absolutely appalled at the language and behaviour of these so called adults - they have been seen to be more feral than many of their animal counterparts

Make sure your own backyards and ethics are beyond reproach before you have the audacity to criticise others who actually do the right thing.

Well said behluka... rescue can be a minefield of rumour and accusation without facts... as though some people are looking at the rescue "game" as some sort of competition...

I find it depressing at times that more of us don't work WITH each other more often.

I'm always happy to help out other rescues when I can... and have been helped by others as well... and that's what it SHOULD be about IMHO - we ARE all looking for the best outcomes for the animals we all have in care, aren't we?

T.

Unfortunately T some rescues gauge their ethics not by how well they run their rescue but how many facebook likers their group can get. There should be no ego in rescue the outcome should be rehoming vetted, behaviourally sound animals into responsible homes and forsaking our own feelings on what rescue should be and putting the animals and community first and if people are unable to do that they are doing the animals no favours

I'll agree with that summation behluka.

I've met some of the nicest and inspiring people in rescue - and I've also met some of the nastiest backstabbing bitches/bastards - and some just downright crazy people as well. I tend to try to stay well clear of the latter two groups though... *grin*

T.

Unfortunately T some rescues gauge their ethics not by how well they run their rescue but how many facebook likers their group can get. There should be no ego in rescue the outcome should be rehoming vetted, behaviourally sound animals into responsible homes and forsaking our own feelings on what rescue should be and putting the animals and community first and if people are unable to do that they are doing the animals no favours

Bingo.

We packed our bags and left which has been fantastic for us and our supporters. It's an unhealthy impersonal environment and a distraction that takes more from you and the dogs than it gives back.

ETA pet peeve: rescuers sticking their head into their rescue page photos :rofl: wtf is that, get out of the way we'd rather see the dog LOL

Edited by Powerlegs

ETA pet peeve: rescuers sticking their head into their rescue page photos :rofl: wtf is that, get out of the way we'd rather see the dog LOL

Ummm - you usually get the back of my scone if I'm the poor bunny doing the wrangling while someone else takes the photos... some dogs/pups like to get snuggly... *grin*

I hate Facebook with a passion! It's full of really crazy people who have some weird idea that I might care what they are doing at every moment of the day... news flash... I don't... lol!

If I want to communicate properly with someone I know, I'll pick up the phone...

T.

I'm confused.. on the Moorook page or other rescues pages?

I'm confused.. on the Moorook page or other rescues pages?

No on private pages from other rescue people, people that no doubt would be members here and wondering if it is about what they wrote and if they are wondering that the answer is probably yes. Nothing to do with Moorook directly just other people trying to lay the blame on what happened on innocent people but words come back to haunt people. To be honest I have never had any experience with Moorook but there will be events hopefully starting in the near future that will have an effect on all rescues in SA with any luck and that is when people need to make sure they are doing the right thing

My experience of Facebook is that is a wonderful tool for rescue, but you only get out of it what you put into it. If you're big on outrage and highly emotive posts, that's what you'll get back. We have a policy to not use our Facebook page for anything but dogs and cats coming in and going home and our general rescue business ... since we set a fairly sedate tone for our page, that's how our page works. We've never had to ban anyone or censor posts except for the occasional bit of spam.

If some rescues have pages full of crazies then they need to look at their social media policy and work out how to recalibrate.

My experience of Facebook is that is a wonderful tool for rescue, but you only get out of it what you put into it. If you're big on outrage and highly emotive posts, that's what you'll get back. We have a policy to not use our Facebook page for anything but dogs and cats coming in and going home and our general rescue business ... since we set a fairly sedate tone for our page, that's how our page works. We've never had to ban anyone or censor posts except for the occasional bit of spam.

If some rescues have pages full of crazies then they need to look at their social media policy and work out how to recalibrate.

Yes. What goes in, comes out.

I assure you we didn't ever post dramatics :laugh: It was just time consuming and stressful. We were constantly badgered and and more than once, abused and threatened for not taking a poor old dog. :( It's awful enough to have to say no (extremely politely btw) without the abuse. It's easy for people to be nastier online. Maybe I'm too soft but I find that upsetting and unnecessary.

So we do what works for us.

The fact is Moorook needs to be pulled into line and it would be the locals who managed to get action because they have been trying for years to fix issues there. It doesn't matter who it is, rescue or registered breeder, none are above the law and if they are doing something wrong they should be stopped. It's ridiculous that some groups get a free pass because they call themselves rescue and people who have no clue about the situation defend them based purely on the word rescue. A registered breeder would be crucified if they warehoused aggressive dogs in substandard conditions for years, but it seems if you are a rescue it's ok? Moorook are one of those places that are going to cause a set of enforcements to be set up and it's going to close down a lot of small rescue who actually do the right thing.