Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

The fact is Moorook needs to be pulled into line and it would be the locals who managed to get action because they have been trying for years to fix issues there. It doesn't matter who it is, rescue or registered breeder, none are above the law and if they are doing something wrong they should be stopped. It's ridiculous that some groups get a free pass because they call themselves rescue and people who have no clue about the situation defend them based purely on the word rescue. A registered breeder would be crucified if they warehoused aggressive dogs in substandard conditions for years, but it seems if you are a rescue it's ok? Moorook are one of those places that are going to cause a set of enforcements to be set up and it's going to close down a lot of small rescue who actually do the right thing.

Are you speaking of Moorook today or your experience which, from what you've said, is now several years old?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I know of the facilities they cannot house 100 animals and Lola herself admits there isn't enough help with them. From the information I get the only thing that has changed is the desexing. It is never ok to be a hoarder, no matter what the motivation behind it. The council are also to blame for enabling. There are some things that I can't post on a public forum as well. I just hope things improve for the animals.

• 2 weeks later...

Effing armchair warriors waging FB wars "for the good of the doggies"... grrr! Guaranteed that many of the really crazy ones doing this sort of thing have never lifted a finger to physically do anything remotely rescue related.

T.

As far as I am aware she was not at all responsible for the current reports and I am sure many many people have made reports before. TBH is people had to make reprts back in 2009 and the conditions were the same 3-4 years later it says more about the shelter to me rather than the people making the reports

Bloody hell the dog world is a filthy place to hang out in.

Yeah, honestly, a lot of rescues and their followers recently have been nothing but ridiculous, and Facebook is just a haven for crazies.

I'm glad I have pets but am not involved with rescue or breeding. It all just makes the whole dog world look nuts.

Yeah, honestly, a lot of rescues and their followers recently have been nothing but ridiculous, and Facebook is just a haven for crazies.

I'm glad I have pets but am not involved with rescue or breeding. It all just makes the whole dog world look nuts.

You think it's just Facebook? The DOL rescue forum has been like that forever. My first taste of it was when I asked something in a thread about a rescue and was hysterically accused of demanding their secret pound contacts. This went on and on and on for ages, including by at least one of the people in this thread, despite the fact that I had never done so and didn't even know people apparently had 'secret contacts'. Look at the recent pug thread.

Seriously - if one can't handle the folk here... then they are really going to get a shock when dealing with some of the potential adopters they will be contacted by.

Most of the people here are pretty helpful until they get a whiff of something they consider "not right" - and then it can become a free-for-all - that I will admit.

T.

ETA - although Facebook seems to attract a whole new level of crazy...

Edited by tdierikx

I think part of the difficulty is that dog rescue is generally considered a noble pursuit, so any criticism tends to jar a lot of people.

I like what Aphra said about setting the tone you want for your efforts/FB page/whatever. I think the best we can do is just create our own sanity, and quietly steer clear of the whackos. Unfortunately the whackos are good at sucking in Jo Public, at least initially. And a lot of stuff that doesn't play well in person - particularly the really glurgey stuff - does play better online unfortunately. So somehow we need to catch up with the downside of online behaviour, because again agreeing with Aphra, the good stuff about online is really good.

Seriously - if one can't handle the folk here... then they are really going to get a shock when dealing with some of the potential adopters they will be contacted by.

Most of the people here are pretty helpful until they get a whiff of something they consider "not right" - and then it can become a free-for-all - that I will admit.

T.

ETA - although Facebook seems to attract a whole new level of crazy...

And precisely why I'm not on it T. Worse time consumer than DOL!!!laugh.gif

Edited by westiemum

You think it's just Facebook? The DOL rescue forum has been like that forever. My first taste of it was when I asked something in a thread about a rescue and was hysterically accused of demanding their secret pound contacts. This went on and on and on for ages, including by at least one of the people in this thread, despite the fact that I had never done so and didn't even know people apparently had 'secret contacts'. Look at the recent pug thread.

I have been trying to look at it but can't find it - did it get pulled??

I'd agree with that though if it has been like that forever I didn't notice it but it sure has been for a couple of years now.