Dogs Seized From No Kill Shelter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So - anyone game to see if AA want to check out the happenings at Moorook?

I'm too scared to go near AA myself... they be truly strange people IMHO...

T.

Not a chance - too late anyway - its no longer as bad as it was when the RSPCA came in. This demonstrates that you dont need AA or Al or OL skating around in the night acting like terrorists to do the job anyway.

Moorook page back up, and this just on it

The Moorook Animal Shelter has always operated as a not for profit organisation, without charity status. We have never asked for donations, and we complied with rules as we were aware of them. Changes have come into effect from the 1st of March 2013.

Recently we were one of the rescue groups reported to Consumer Affairs based on a complaint that we were seeking donations. Although Moorook itself didn’t seek donations, the efforts of others to do so in our name, has inadvertently made things messy and resulted in confusion.

Charity status became voluntary from December 2012. We will obtain charity status in the future but at the moment we have other things to concentrate on. Such as completing council requirements, legal dealings with the RSPCA, clearing Lola’s good name and the main thing that seems to be forgotten in this is our goal of rehoming dogs and cats.

Whilst there are some detractors who’s motives are questionable and derogatory, we will not waver from what we value and pride ourselves on, helping abandoned companion animals to find loving homes.

So in order to meet requirements and remain as transparent as we have always been we are now operating as a business. We will still run at a loss, as we always do, but we will use the business registration and ABN that Lola has always had.

This really doesn’t change things much at all for us. We still can’t ask for donations or use the term fundraise, but we can accept them if offered. We can request sponsorship, support, and use words such as proceeds to or gifted. We can use collection tins with correct wording on them and we are able to sell items gifted to, us or that we have procured.

Our shop is legal. We are not registered for GST, as this is not required unless you reach an income of $75,000, and we will never reach this.

I hope this clarifies things for everyone. Please, to those people who are PM’ing me wanting to know if they’ll be prosecuted for offering donations, the answer is no. We cannot seek them – you offered.

Businesses who support us will not be disadvantaged by this either. They are legally allowed to offer sponsorship, and we are legally allowed to ask. This is expensed and deductible in their tax returns. Individuals are still not able to claim the support they provide us as tax deductible. This hasn’t changed.

I hope from here we can move on with awareness for no-kill shelters and support for the animals needing homes.

I have made bandannas like the ones below – all are different. Another organisation offers theirs for sale for $10. We’ll let you decide how much you’d like to offer for them – I didn’t make them for financial gain but for awareness. The white ones have the Moorook Animal Shelter logo on them, and the purple ones are just patterned with no logo on them, out of respect for the other no-kill rescue groups that will be at the Awareness Day. They are hand painted, not professionally screen printed, but we hope your animals will look great in them. They are available in Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large

Hmmmm, seems an awful lot of dodging and weaving going on

Interesting point they have just made about how the cats are treated there too

Lynda Hayes I really love your cause and passion, and the care and love you give to the animals you have in your care. But what do you do with the multitude of cats and kittens you get lumbered with? There must be so many, they breed like crazy. They can't all be re-homed, sadly.
Moorook Animal Shelter What Mark means, is that once they are desexed (when old and well enough) and fully vaccinated, the shelter is their home until they are fortunate enough to find a new home. Whilst at the shelter, many are given 'free range' to roam the shelter. Many don't end up getting adopted so to keep them in a cage would be cruel.
Lynda Hayes Ok, great that they are desexed, but giving them free range, may give them the chance to kill the local wild life, I know that cats love to roam, and they don't like to be caged, but, I'm a big fan of wildlife.
Moorook Animal Shelter Lynda, we appreciate that concern but the cats actually help us a great deal in keeping down the vermin which also effects Australia's native wildlife :)

Being a country shelter we can get more than our fair share of mice, which can lead to more than our fair share of snakes, with the cats they eat the mice (as well as the cat food, little gutsos lol!) which keeps the chance of snakes down.

As for the native wildlife (at least birds), I myself can attest that the cats don't really seem interested in the birds- I have gone to the shelter and witnessed birds eating the cat biscuits and none of the cats gave them a second look LOL. It was a bit of an odd sight :)

The cats have it pretty good at the shelter- Batman who was a cat adopted out a few years ago actually ran away from his adopted house and turned up at the shelter only a few days later ready to be fed! (He is currently in a home and hasn't run away again!)

Given the fences they had posted on their website shown in the pictures, they are not going to stop any cats scaling them at all, so sounds like they have cats just roaming at will, plus obviously free feeding from the food supplies - sounds more and more like total lack of control on anything there.

I wonder if they even know how many cats they have.. Do they notice if they disappear (due to snake bite, cat traps, dogs, foxes, whatever)?? I do hope that all the cats are actually desexed but if I was their neighbour (even a rural neighbour, cats can roam for several km) I would not appreciate hundreds of cats visiting my property looking for food or entertainment and shitting everywhere...

When someone on facebook suggested their food should be in vermin proof containers, they were rudely told there are "no vermin" there. Now they have more than their fair share of mice so need to let cats roam free. Righto.

Legal team, LOL :laugh:

Don't forget that cat flu is rampant up there and there would be a fair proportion of those free ranging cats would be carriers, free to spread the virus all over the place. They won't PTS and they don't have enough cages so what do they do, just let them go, very responsible. I hope people who had doubts about whether there was a problem at Moorook can now see that their ideology is never going to change and people have a real case against them.

Yes they are that stupid. If they'd just stood up and said, "yes their are problems, we acknowledge that, we are going to deal with them properly and make the changes we need to in our facilities and our business model and we'll be back to operating the rescue as soon as the situation has been resolved", then walked away from the media and spent their time doing constructive stuff and made real, lasting changes they would have a lot more respect, they've just gone about it all wrong.

Legal team, LOL :laugh:

Don't forget that cat flu is rampant up there and there would be a fair proportion of those free ranging cats would be carriers, free to spread the virus all over the place. They won't PTS and they don't have enough cages so what do they do, just let them go, very responsible. I hope people who had doubts about whether there was a problem at Moorook can now see that their ideology is never going to change and people have a real case against them.

Not to mention FIV, vectors for parasites, cat bite abscess, limited human contact (affecting potential for rehoming) etc etc :(

OMG.. I can't stop laughing. I just found this in my "other" message box on facebook and it was sent just after midnight last night... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8743699440_b204cdc08e_o.png

I replied and told him to go for it. :laugh:

According to a facebook page about slamming Mark and Moorook I'm not the only one this has gone to. :rofl:

That's hilarious and I don't even have a clue what he's trying say :rofl:

OMG.. I can't stop laughing. I just found this in my "other" message box on facebook and it was sent just after midnight last night... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8743699440_b204cdc08e_o.png

I replied and told him to go for it. :laugh:

According to a facebook page about slamming Mark and Moorook I'm not the only one this has gone to. :rofl:

That's hilarious and I don't even have a clue what he's trying say :rofl:

I think they are trying to say Snook has 12 different profiles and they have sent the info to head office. Which head office is any ones guess :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: