Question For Rescue Groups / Rescuers Only Please

Just wondering what other rescuers do if they place a dog on a trial period and then the dog becomes unwell and needs to see a vet.

It would be great to hear from any rescuers who rehome out of their area as well.

Sorry if it's been done before but I'm interested to know what others do, ie do you pay the vet bill entirely? Is it the new owner's responsibility?

Edited by dogmad

Depends why the dog needs to see the vet i.e. if the dog was attacked at a dog park or hit by a car then that's not my responsability, however if there was neglect involved I'd be taking my dog back anyway so I'd be paying for the vet work. We have a 2 week trial sign off that lays out what we cover and what we do not cover. We do not do any other paperwork or accept the adoption fee until after the 2 week trial so technically the dog is still ours and we are liable for all costs involved.

Edited by sas

If they were not close to my vet then I would ring the Vet they were taking the dog to and explain the situation to see if I could negotiate rescue rates in this instance.

I believe I would be 100% my responsibility unless the issue was caused through negligence of the people who had the dog on trial.

Depends why the dog needs to see the vet i.e. if the dog was attacked at a dog park or hit by a car then that's not my responsability, however if there was neglect involved I'd be taking my dog back anyway so I'd be paying for the vet work. We have a 2 week trial sign off that lays out what we cover and what we do not cover. We do not do any other paperwork or accept the adoption fee until after the 2 week trial so technically the dog is still ours and we are liable for all costs involved.

I agree with SAS. I guess it depends on why and for what reason the dog needs to see a vet.

If a dog I rescued and put into a home became unwell during "trial period" (after guidence, diet guides, on lead, off lead etc, etc, etc and 100% full support) I would probably pay.

If there was neglect involved, you are in a difficult position while the dog is on trial :o If you are concerned and the new owners are not bidable re your concerns, I would just get the dog out.

I know you very well and your outstanding ethics, you are one in a million Jane :heart:

I know I am not much help, though even if you need to vent feel free to call :heart: xxx

It would depend on what it was taken to the vet for...

T.

This.

If they followed instructions and took reasonable precautions against injury/illness, we'd cover the bills. If they hadn't, we'd probably still cover the bills but the dog would be coming back to us- if someone can't be bothered to look out for the safety of their new pet, what are the care standards going to be like when the novelty wears off?

Just wondering what other rescuers do if they place a dog on a trial period and then the dog becomes unwell and needs to see a vet.

It would be great to hear from any rescuers who rehome out of their area as well.

Sorry if it's been done before but I'm interested to know what others do, ie do you pay the vet bill entirely? Is it the new owner's responsibility?

We (ARF) offer a 3 week trial/settling in period but the dog can only go to their new home when the new owners officially adopt the dog It would then be their responsiblity to pay any vet bills as it is their dog. If things don't work out and the dog has to be returned during the trail period then the adoption fee would be refunded and the adoption agreement destroyed.

Lyn

We (ARF) offer a 3 week trial/settling in period but the dog can only go to their new home when the new owners officially adopt the dog It would then be their responsiblity to pay any vet bills as it is their dog. If things don't work out and the dog has to be returned during the trail period then the adoption fee would be refunded and the adoption agreement destroyed.

Lyn

I like that way of thinking and I'm going to use that from now on.

Lyn

I'm confused how do you offer. 3 week trial without the dog goimg to its new home? We remain the legal owners while the dogs are on trial as trying to get all paperwork back once it's been handed over to new owners is a royal PITA. If you transfer ownership when the dog goes on trail what do you do about the paperwork of the dog is returned?

Are you suggesting sending the dog with its paperwork when the dog goes on trial but if the dog comes back you won't refund the adoption fee unless it comes with all it's paperwork? Hmm that's an option I hadn't considered.

The problem Iggy rescue has had is that we have told new owner that if dog requires emergency treatment then get it to a vet and stablise it. But contact us for permission for any other vet work (if you want us to pay for it). The new owner in question took the dog to the vet and authorized blood tests etc without our permission as in her mind that was apparently "stabilizing" the dog. I'm pissed off to say the least as we had spelled out to this owner the process re:vet work. The dog did not need blood tests done for a life saving situation, dam dog is just fine all tests are clear as we knew they would be.

This is an interstate adoption, 3 hrs drive from our nearest rescue vet. So I am in a quandary as to what to do. Clearly I need to rewrite our policy regarding vet bills for dogs who are on trial.

I feel like the owner knew she was ignoring our policy but went ahead anyway, her excuse was that she tried to call us and couldn't get through to us. However she called once and the dog was not in a life threatening situation. I have no probs with her taking it to the vet for a consult if she was worried about its health. Is the lab work and antibiotics which are frustrating. The dog was not sick it was simply stressed from the travel.

I am weary of dealing with stuff like this. We had a new carer last year who was fostering with a view to adopt that insisted on taking the dog to her own vet, not our rescue vet.

She subsequently racked up $700 worth of vet work on said dog then demanded we pay the bill. We ended up paying half the bill. This lady returned the dog to us and then got nasty. Ultimately we are going to go broke and the rescue will fold if we can't work out some solution to issues like these.

Edited by indigirl

when people adopt one of our dogs they pay the adoption fee and complete the adoption agreement then the dog is theirs. If the dog needs to see a vet after it has been adopted it's their responsibiliy for costs because it's their dog.

If the dog doesn't work out and they want to return the dog during the 3 week trial we will take the dog back and refund the adoption fee.

Guest crickets

when people adopt one of our dogs they pay the adoption fee and complete the adoption agreement then the dog is theirs. If the dog needs to see a vet after it has been adopted it's their responsibiliy for costs because it's their dog.

If the dog doesn't work out and they want to return the dog during the 3 week trial we will take the dog back and refund the adoption fee.

That's pretty much how I used to do it. The adoption was fully processed & paid and the dog sent out , but the first 2 weeks was a trial period in which time if things didn't work, the dog would be returned for a full refund.

This is an interstate adoption, 3 hrs drive from our nearest rescue vet. So I am in a quandary as to what to do. Clearly I need to rewrite our policy regarding vet bills for dogs who are on trial.

Yes. But first you have to work out what you are capable of doing. When I ran GAP Q I used to have a requirement that I was always contacted before any vet bill was approved at all. But this meant I was tied to my phone 24/7 to be able to do this. My other option would have been leave ourselves open to the adopter deciding what is an emergency and what is not, which vet they go to, and what treatment options are taken up, and just accepting that this would have a cost.

You can give people all the guidelines in the world, but when they are worried about their dog they will want reassurance and help. And if you don't give it to them, you risk them consulting the most entrepreneurial vet in town to get that help. Knowing that they don't have to pay, they will have no reason to use budget as a limit to the care they want their dog to have.

CPR does the same as ARF, although we give a 2 week trial not 3, the adoption agreement says "you accept the dog as is" and all costs incurred by the new owner during the trial period is the responsibilty of the new owner.

I have some people who take the dog to their vet before the trial period is up and I am fine with that, had one woman who did this with a pure breed Chi and her vet said the dog had major issues with her front legs and it will cost hundreds of $$$$ for x-rays, the dog came back and I had the x-rays done for $132 and there was nothing wrong with them, I sent her the vet report and never heard back and of course the dog did not go back either.

Had one just last week and it was her luxating patella's, which I pointed out to her and that her own dog had them as well, her vet said the dogs back legs both needed surgery, "sigh" got a secong opinion from West Queanbeyan and low and behold it is a birth defect in her cerebellum, nothing can be done, I did pay that vet visit only $50 so I am getting a tad annoyed at some of these vets when they know it is a rescue dog....

I would not have paid the $700 if she had been told up front and it was on the adoption agreement then it will stand up in court.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

Lyn

I'm confused how do you offer. 3 week trial without the dog goimg to its new home? We remain the legal owners while the dogs are on trial as trying to get all paperwork back once it's been handed over to new owners is a royal PITA. If you transfer ownership when the dog goes on trail what do you do about the paperwork of the dog is returned?

Are you suggesting sending the dog with its paperwork when the dog goes on trial but if the dog comes back you won't refund the adoption fee unless it comes with all it's paperwork? Hmm that's an option I hadn't considered.

The problem Iggy rescue has had is that we have told new owner that if dog requires emergency treatment then get it to a vet and stablise it. But contact us for permission for any other vet work (if you want us to pay for it). The new owner in question took the dog to the vet and authorized blood tests etc without our permission as in her mind that was apparently "stabilizing" the dog. I'm pissed off to say the least as we had spelled out to this owner the process re:vet work. The dog did not need blood tests done for a life saving situation, dam dog is just fine all tests are clear as we knew they would be.

I feel like the owner knew she was ignoring our policy but went ahead anyway, her excuse was that she tried to call us and couldn't get through to us. However she called once and the dog was not in a life threatening situation. I have no probs with her taking it to the vet for a consult if she was worried about its health. Is the lab work and antibiotics which are frustrating. The dog was not sick it was simply stressed from the travel.

I am weary of dealing with stuff like this. We had a new carer last year who was fostering with a view to adopt that insisted on taking the dog to her own vet, not our rescue vet.

She subsequently racked up $700 worth of vet work on said dog then demanded we pay the bill. We ended up paying half the bill. This lady returned the dog to us and then got nasty. Ultimately we are going to go broke and the rescue will fold if we can't work out some solution to issues like these.

Yeah ARF's is officially called a Return/Settling in Period so they sign the adoption agreement and pay the day the dog is handed over. They are then legally the new owner.

Fortunately they rarely come back so we don't have too many issues.

In relation to foster carers all vet work must be approved by the vet liaison officer before being done. Foster carers will apply to have any work done by email and then the vet liaison will call/email the vet and approve. In emergencies they can call her or another member of the committee for approval. Our vets are pretty good too and know to get approval for anything out of the ordinary.

Happy to share our adoption agreement which outlines vetwork after adoption etc if you want?

Edited by Burkes

We used to do adoption first but after wanting one of my dogs back during the trial period because the person turned into a moron I can't take back what I have legally adopted out and accepted an adoption fee for so now I send out on trial and paperwork is done after the trial and thats when I take the adoption fee too.

YEp that is how we did it too.