Urgent Request - Laboured Breathing

As many are aware I brought Gerogia home on Thursday but have noted that her breathing is becoming increasingly laboured.

The simple task of getting up and walking 3 metres has her panting and heavy breathing when resting.

Am i simply being paranoid???????

In herself she is very happy, love laying in the sun and relaxing, even started the odd bark if a car is coming up the driveway which is great.

Looking for advice. Even though she is scheduled for the vet on Monday, if this could be something serious would prefer to pop her in tomorrow.

Thanks everyone

Edit: I know first hand re: BBD laboured breathing, are there other breeds that pant/ breathe heavily????

Edited by British_Bulldog

See your vet tomorrow, there is not much he would be able to do today. While it could be serious, it doesn't sound like an emergency. Your good relationsip with your vet will be maintained if you respect his/her days off. I'm assuming your practice does not have consultation hours on Sunday.

Is this the American Bulldog very thin and used as breeding machine rescued from the pound?

Really Heavy panting often is stress and pain related? Is she coughing up any muck? Kennel cough maybe? Or is her thin ness due to another underlying medical condition?

If you absolutely cant take her to the vet now....Id be keepingbher very cool and quiet...lots of water, minimal food easy digestable lil and often...til sunday night?

Obviously vet visit preferable....hope all is well and she comes up trumps ASAP, she looks like a poor ol used abandoned pussy :laugh: in her mug shot at the pound.

Is there any improvement on Gerogia British Bulldog???

Keep us updated I agree with Lilly in giving them a call and having a chat before deciding to outlay the out of hours expense ( I have already given the vet a call myself today :laugh: ).

Keep us updated on how she is......

Yes the scrawny Amer Bulldog

Ended up calling my local. They think perhaps the immunisations may have triggered a little dose of kennel cough + the stress of some much going on suddenly. I have been lucky enough never to have heard kennel cough.

It is sounding more like a cough today, bit like a subdued whooping cough. No mucus or any wheezing, (she looks at me funny when i listen to her chest :laugh: )

Sounds weird but they said think about this:

Poor thing has had a hell of a time, is starved, ends up in a shelter with alot of noisy dogs, unsure of what's going to happen to her, gets a few jabs, goes to yet another 'home' which seems a hell of alot better then the last month of her life and she relaxes for the first time and that's when the nasties hit.

Yes she is drinking a lot of water and will only eats what she wants, seems to realise that more will magically appear at appropriate times. (Thats front door patrol, she has impecable timing).

Georgia spent the night with my daughter and she breathed heavily throughout the night. And my daughter is home for the next 2 weeks to serve her every beck and call.

Good news is she has gained a itty bitty bit of weight considering stress can make them lose it.

We are off the vet for an 8am checkin and a 5pm pickup. Will update on her condition and the tumour tomorrow

:o Thanks everyone for taking the time give your thoughts

Your good relationsip with your vet will be maintained if you respect his/her days off.

Yes vets love to have a day off, but it's their job and it is 24/7, I'v spent time with vets "on call" and believe me their phone does not stop ringing.

Don't fear ringing your vet if it is the weekend or night time, what would be worse, you disturbing the vet or your dog dying because you didn't seek help???

I sometimes get called in the middle of the night to go into the clinic, I never mind, as it's for a good reason, sleep can wait, a sick animal can't.

Basically a vet doesn't really have a day off, the mobile is always swithched on. (if it is a large clinic then the vets can roster actual day's off)

So if anyone is concerned for any reason, make a quick call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kennel cough is very common BUT can have nasty life threatening complications for the brachiocephalic breeds....especially under stress and immune compromised. Such as your dear gal.

Try your hardest to quarantine her...are your other dogs immunised ? Can have very serious consequences for Brit Bulldogs. Friend of mine nearly lost a pup of phneumonia returning from the Sydney Show.

Hope it isnt something more sinister (coughs arent good),...hope the gal gets a great second chance

Yes my boys are both immunised (up to date) and been given a clean bill of health at their last visit about a month ago. I wouldn't have introduced them without the vet saying it would be ok, i checked with her first. We spoke at length about vaccinations and Georgia and my boys. :o Better safe then sorry.

Poor Sammy is not use to so much exercise and since Georgia has arrived he hasn't sat still. Last night he stressed because they were separated awwwwwww He could aleast 'see' her today so not so stressed.

My vet is pretty cool about a/h calls. When i spoke to her originally she said let her have the op then about 2 weeks after that, pop her in for a quick once over if i wanted and any probs just call. She sees alot of ex-shelter dogs and cats.

And her immune system must be coping a pounding with no food and the tumour :D

But looking for nothing but a clean op and positive news tomorrow. :laugh:

It might be partly stress-related. I rescued a Neapolitan Mastiff last year (another short-nosed breed) and when he came to me he drooled A LOT and huffed constantly. Some of that was stress, once he settled in the drooling got much less and his breathing settled down.

Some of it was also fitness related, he'd lived a very circumscribed life and was really unfit ... as he got fitter his breathing settled down as well.

But I'm glad you're going to see your vet, it's always better to be sure.

Well poor Georgia has a touch of Kennel cough and was sent home with some anti biotics 'just in case' as he was concerned her immune system might be poorly.

She is happy in herself and gained weight :( a whole 2 kgs YEAAAAAAA !!!!!

He also wants to do a chest xray before desex and tumour removal in case the tumour is maligment and has spread and the laboured breathing is a sign of the big C. Horrible to think about but i guess he is being honest and realistic. and the antibiotics will ensure there are no suspicious marks showing up that could be misread. That would be a nightmare.

But positive thoughts, she is looking better and better everyday and nowcomes to greet me when i drive in ;)

But overall, says the cough is not very serious and I shouldn't worry about it.

She has been rescheduled for 1.5 wks.

YAY the weight gain of two kilos is great!!!

Lets hope that the antibotics do the trick and georgia gets over the kennel cough quickly, more importantly heres hoping that the x-rays show the all-clear. As the vet said it seems only minor and you shouldnt worry about it!! :(

Keep us updated and would love to see more pics of Georgia!!!